It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

innocence HB User
Acupuncture, cupping and massage therapy

Has anyone tried any of these??? I'm seriously considering acupuncture and perhaps cupping and massage therapy as well. Wanted to see if it has helped any fibro sufferers?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
(female)

gunner00 HB User
Re: Acupuncture, cupping and massage therapy

I have been using massage therapy now for almost a year.
My muscles were very tight in the beginning and I was seeing my therapist twice a week at first. I can tell you that it has been painfull at times when she is working out some of the bad places. But once you are able to break through and get your muscles to respond it makes a tremendous difference. As they say "no pain, no gain".
I have noticed that if I don't keep up with my appointments I usually have a set back and it takes awhile to get things feeling good again.
I know everyone is different. Some people like it and it works for them but others say its a waste.
You just have to try everything until you find what works for you.
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

SOPHIABELLA HB User

Sorry to be a pain, but what the heck is "cupping"?
Massage therapy has helped me in the past, BUT YOU HAVE TO KEEP UP WITH IT or else you will go right back to where you started from. Massage can be nice, but painful too. Not to mention the expense if your insurance does not cover it. If I had the money I would do massage 2 x a week. My doc says I am atrifeeing (sic) from laying around all the time. Exercize is not an option because I have Myofascial Pain disease that creates such a severe pain in my low back I cant stand it! Swimming is a good option. I went to Arizona in may and it was 105 degrees, and I just sat in the pool floating, no pain at all. (I didnt ever want to get out until I began to prune! haha) There are indoor pools here in washington state, but you have to pay for it, and I am more than broke. A TENS UNIT works great too! (but prepare to be sore!)
Hugs, Kari

Old 08-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
(female)

EffieH HB User

I don't have fibromyalgia, but I just found out two weeks ago that the pain I have been suffering for about a year and a half now is chronic myofascial pain -- I was in agony until I tried acupuncture last January and my pain was immediately reduced to a more bearable level (acupuncture also helped the depression that the pain caused). But the acupuncture was really expensive - twice a week at $65 a pop!! But the amount of relief it provided me was definitely worth it, and no "regular" western physicians were offering me anything that even remotely helped! Then in March I stopped the acupuncture and started seeing a chiropractor who uses electromuscle stimulation (I can never get the name of that right!) and that helped my pain a LOT, but when the pain is really bad, the effect is only temporary, but I think it might have a cumulative effect because I'm feeling much better now. Now that I'm in a lot less pain, I find the EMS makes me a little sorer again, but it's still worth it. I'm also seeing a massage therapist and two weeks ago when I found out I had CMP she started doing trigger point massage on me, and that has helped immensely, I think -- she's only done it twice, but last week was the most pain-free week I've had over a year and a half! Unfortunately, my insurance only pays for my chiropractor -- but I'm just going to cut back on other things in order to pay for the massage therapy. Oh -- and I bought a portable TENS/EMS unit for $34.00 online and it works almost as well as my chiropractor's, and I think she has a really expensive one. If your pain is really bad, that's definitely a good investment.

Last edited by EffieH; 08-11-2007 at 12:30 PM.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

SOPHIABELLA HB User

Hey EffieH:
I am glad you found some relief somewhere! I would bet your insurance covers Physical Therapy, and if it does, you just have to call all the PT's in your area and find one that does the trigger point massage therapy, and wha laa.....less mula goin out of your pocket! Thats what I am going to do when I get my house re-fied, there is a lot of things I want to try, but it all takes money, and even the co-pays add up! Good luck and keep us posted!.....Kari

Last edited by SOPHIABELLA; 08-11-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hey All, I've been having acupauncture on a regular basis and it has definately helped, I have massage when the pain allows, but I'm not sure what cupping is, do they put small bowls upside down on you and then somehow raise the area that is covered by the bowl up? I also use a TENS unit, when I need to. I love reflexology although care does need to be taken as it can make you feel yuk first off. Hope you all find relief with these treatments, just wanted to put in my twopennyworth of experience with these. Everyone take care and keep well Snoozyowl

Old 06-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
(female)

7yrLMP HB User

Health Insurance DOES usually cover Massage Therapy treatments in Washington. It's actually mandated in the state for every health insurance policy to cover "alternative care". Sometimes it's only Chiropractic. Sometimes it's all; Massage Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractic and Natuopathy.
Sometimes, if you do not have Massage coverage on your policy you can get a prescription for it.
Call the customer service number on your health insur. card and ask about massage coverage.

Massage, Acupuncture and Chiro all can help with Fibro. Just depends on each person.

Cupping is done by your acupunturist. Ball shapped glass bowls are filled with heat from a flame, which creates a vacume. It suctions onto your skin bringing blow flow and chi to the areas that are stagnant. It is wonderful treatment and works great. It leaves marks like a bruise or a "hickey" for about a week. But I think it's worth it!

Closed Thread