It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

HurtinHouston HB User
Is anyone taking Namenda?

Hi everyone!

I saw my doctor last week after having undergone several tests, including a neuropsych exam which proved what I already knew. My cognitive thinking is below par as are my memory and reasoning skills. Everything has moved in slow motion for the past couple of years since I become one of the masses of CFIDS/FMS people.

I asked her if there was anything that could help cut through the fibro fog and she suggested Namenda. I've read up on it, but I haven't started it. I guess I'd really like to know if anyone has had any success or if the side effects were too awful to continue before I jump in the deep end. I'm a bit anxious as I have had such bad reactions to other medications in the past. I guess I'd feel more confident about taking it if I knew others were too, and less like the Guinnea pig. (I've never liked feeling like a lab experiment.)

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
(female)

Rascal12 HB User
Re: Is anyone taking Namenda?

Yes I took Namenda a few months ago. Unfortunately, it made me very nauseated and I had to discontinue it. However, I heard of someone who has taken it and said it helped with "mental fog" but not fibro pain.
Good luck. I hope it helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
(female)

HurtinHouston HB User
Re: Is anyone taking Namenda?

Thanks, Rascal12. Yes, the doctor said it was just for the fibro fog, not the pain. I have a whole lineup of stuff for pain, from meds to relaxation techiniques. I just get so frustrated with my thinking or rather inability to think, that I can't stand it. I used to run the local presence of a Fortune 500 company and now I can't balance my checkbook or vocally put two words together to form a sentence or remember things for more than six seconds. If I didn't type close to 80 wpm, I wouldn't be able to communicate at all I fear.
Okay, so I've started it this morning and we'll see how well I get along with this new medication. If it cuts through the fog without causing horrible side effects, and there are some I will tollerate if it works, I will be extremely happy. I have one I take for nerve pain that gave me the runs for months, but the relief was worth it as I reacted worse to others.
FYI, Namenda is used in the treatment of moderate to severe Alzheimer's Disease. I asked and was told the more well known brand has not been effective in fibro patients.
So I'll pop in and post an update to let you know if it works or what happens.

Closed Thread