It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
(female)

kimmark1 HB User
Unhappy Anybody have luck with Social Security benefits?

If you have fibro and are in excrutiating pain all the time and have to rely on pain medication that you should not be driving on in the first place? i was wondering if anyone with fibro has been awarded disability. Mine is so bad that I can not work more than 4 hours a day, yet they keep denying me.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
(female)

tweiler HB User
Re: Anybody have luck with Social Security benefits?

I was given a fully favorable decision in June on my disability application. My rheumy filled out an assessment form stating the time limits I could work and that I would miss at least 4 days work per month due to my fibro. The ALJ asked the VE that based upon missing at least 4 days per month and the other restrictions (weights/environmental/etc) if there was any work I could do and the VE said NO. I also have chronic major depression/PTSD/anxiety so those factor into it as well. I am on multiple meds for my fibro and for the depression/anxiety I take Lexapro and I see a counselor every other week.

I'm still waiting for my backpay but I'm going to see my Congressman today to see if he can help get it processed sooner.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Anybosy have luck with Social Security benefits?

Congratulations Tweiler on a fully favorable disability decision !!
Hopefully this will relieve some Fibro Stress. Once again
Congratulations!!!!

BeHappy2

Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

SOPHIABELLA HB User
Re: Anybosy have luck with Social Security benefits?

I had to sell my business after being there for 17 years, in 2003. I could, like you, only work a few hours a day before the pain got so bad I had to get home and put my legs up. I was, at that time taking 240mg of Oxicontin for daily pain, Percocet as needed for breakthrough pain, (which didnt make much sense to me but thats a different story) Flexeril for the spasms, Tizanidine for RLS and sleep problems, xanax and Celexa for anxiety and depression. I had a letter from my doc stating that I could no longer work now or most likely in the future. I was dx with Severe Fibro, Chronic Myofascial pain Disease, arthritis in mid back, 2 herniated dics in C5-6, carpal tunnel both wrists, diabetes and severe depression.(which I believe that EVERYONE has that has any kind of pain disease that ruins your daily life.) I filed for disability Sept. 2003. The first denial stated that I had all the right diseases for disability, but I was considered too young basically! (I was 40 at the time) Had I been older I would have gotten it on the first try. I was told by an attorney to file for the 2nd time right away, which I did. Then when they denied me again I got to hire an attorney. (attorneys work pro-bono on disability cases so it wont cost you unless you win and then they take about 5400.00 from your back pay). The Disability system is so back logged it takes forever! Finally some judge in a different state saw the letter from my doc and took a good look at my case and approved me August of last year. IT TOOK 3 UGLY YEARS!!! I know of 2 other people who are also "still" waiting. Unfortunatly it is a system that some *lazy* people like to take advantage of in order not to work. These people are in the news all the time, and it makes life hell for everyone with legitimate issues. I should tell you that on my acceptance letter, one of the reasons that I got approved was the fact that I had not been working for 3 years. (I had been in the work force for a total of 21 consecutive years). If you are working at all, they will most likely deny you on that reason alone. We had to file bankrupcy, go to the food bank, get energy asst. etc...Things I would have never done in the past. It is hell, so prepare for it. Best of luck to you and keep up the fight!.. Kari

Last edited by SOPHIABELLA; 08-08-2007 at 03:34 PM.

Closed Thread