It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
(female)

iwannabenormal HB User
Unhappy anxiety and fibro

Hi!

I'm new here and was just diagnosed with fibro. Eight or nine years ago I started having horrible anxiety and panic attacks after a long stressful time in my life, it wasn't the first time I had bouts of anxiety in my life, but it just never went away this time.

Then over a year ago I noticed a decrease in energy and more body aches and pains. I also have headaches out of this world and light headedness and no balance. Every mucus membrane in my body is as dry as the dessert. My doc hasn't ruled out Sjogrens.

I just turned 57 and in the past year I feel as I have aged 10 years. I can't believe what I see when I look in the mirror. I have pretty much become disabled, I do what I have too when I have to and that is it.

I have an app with a Phsc on the 13th. I am on two anti depressants and xanax. My doc gave me a script for the Lyrica yesterday I will get it filled today. I hate taking all these drugs but the pain is just too much.

I was just wondering if anyone else had anxiety problems before the fibro.

Marlee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: anxiety and fibro

welcome welcome,
anxiety is an aspect of all our lives. during hard times, stressful years it comes as it must, to be expressed. fibro loves to eat your stress and spit out tons of pain. getting a handle on the stress and anxiety will help reduce the pain some. there is no magic fix. not even a head shrinker can do that.
i am one of the fortunate few who do not require antidepressants or deal with depression. however, when i got hit with fibro, the first of many goodies to later appear, i got my fanny to a head shrinker. not because i thought i was nuts. i knew without help and guidance i would soon go batty. i needed new coping skills to adapt to the new every changing me. i spent 9 years learning and learning.
these days i have healthy boundaries with all the people i love.
have patience with your body and mind. it takes time to learn, grow, evolve. gift yourself with the same compassion you would gift to another.
know you are not alone. so many of us do deal with depression.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
(female)

iwannabenormal HB User

Thank you Bluelady for your words of encouragement and I know I have always been my worst enemy. I'm always worried about being the best mom, grandma, wife etc. I can't even keep my house clean now that alone spend the time and do the things with my grandchildren I would love to be doing.

I am lucky to have a very loving husband that does what he can to help out but I was always a very strong independant person that didn't ask anyone for anything. I guess I'm in the mourning stage for the person that I use to be. I do think I need counseling to move on.

I have read some of your post and you are an amazing woman.

Marlee

Old 08-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Smile Re: anxiety and fibro

Marlee i feel your pain in all your posted words here. I also have had the major anxiety for a long long time. Having anxiety really flares up the fibro.
I too am lucky to have a very loving husband, although now he is ill and we help each other the best we can. I think worring about everything does ourselves harm even though we mean well. Be kind and easy on yourself.
Anxiety makes our pain much worse. Just here to let you know your not alone. You're definately right about Bluelakelady, she is a amazing woman. Her posts are very helpful. Take care Marlee all will be ok.

BeHappy2

Old 08-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
(female)

iwannabenormal HB User

BeHappy2
Do you take meds for your anxiety?
I noticed you live in Illinois too. I live in Lincoln in the middle of the state.
I pray my husband stays healthy because I don't know what we would do if he was to get sick.
Thanks
Marlee

Old 08-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
(female)

desperate1 HB User

I find the anxiety that comes from the fear of being judged as lazy, the worry about what to do for work, the guilt of not spending enough time with friends and family, etc, effects every aspect of my fibro, from pain to fatigue to brain fog. It makes it all worse. So I feel your pain and my heart goes out to you.
I started to see a psychologist to deal with it, and it really, really does help. It reminds me I'm human, this is not my fault and I can only do what I can do. Sounds trite, but it is so true. We have to remember that we are still contributing parts of others lives, even if we can't do it in the way we used to or want to.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Smile Re: anxiety and fibro

Yes Marlee i take meds for anxiety. For 21 years i have been taking xanax.
I recently began Celexa, which is also to help decrease anxiety but i definately don't feel the decrease of anxiety. Major Headaches and loss of balance is part of me too. Pain never goes completely away. I get a short relief of pain from water, gently moving in a pool. Then whamo, pain hits hard when i'm out of water. Yes count your Blessings for having a healthy husband. Marlee, keep me posted with your Lyrica please. I am very sensitive to medications and have mentioned the Lyrica to my Rheumy and family doc and they both want me to stay away from the Lyrica because of side effects. Pain lives with me daily and i am so tired of hurting all over. Hope the Lyrica relieves your pain, please keep me posted. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:38 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi marlee,
sorry to take so long to get back here to you. family stuff required my attention.
mourning your old you is healthy and normal. no doubt your therapist has shared this with you already. ah, the eyes of others. how we fear their eyes watching us. know what tho? take a close look and those eyes belong to you. people will follow your lead. if you feel guilt they will follow that lead. if you choose to accept and adapt they follow that lead. if they don't well, then it is time to evaluate their position in your life and yours in theirs. family or friends the process is the same.
always know you have value and worth no matter what your body experiences. we are more than the sum of our bodies.
i start p.t. today. stroke recovery and fibromyalgia release therapy. i am happy to be going. happy to be able to get there, even if my fanny is a mile behind me.
i am glad you are talking to someone. nice to know you are not alone, yes?
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. loving partners are like wings. they assist in the process of flying joyously to your new you. both you girls go give those nice men an extra long hug from blue.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #9
(female)

iwannabenormal HB User

BeHappy
Sounds like we have some of the same problems. I take 100mg of Amitriptyline, 40 of Celexa and up to 4 of Xanax a day. I was on all of these long before the fatigue, pain and everything else started. Headaches is one of my biggest complaints. I got the Lyrica but was afraid to start it last night. I have a very sensitive stomach and hate putting all these drugs in it. Besides the side effects of Lyrica are everything i'm already feeling. It also can be addictive. I think I'm going to really look into the alternative methods.

Marlee

Old 08-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

hi marlee,
have you tried fibromyalgia release therapy? it is done in p.t. by a therapist. it is painful at first, due to all the tightness. i start today and am very excited. i have done this many times and know it helps me. i also deal with amazing headaches. for a bit kava kava and valerian root helped. i used it for maybe a year befor i had to move on to western meds. while i take a few drugs none really helps with fibro. it is activity and therapy and diet that assist me most. i also paint so when the pain gets big, really big, i go paint. changing my focus eases the pain. oh, and attitude. gotta have attitude.
deep breathing also works great for those moment when utter exhaustion/pain hits. we often forget to breath deep and full when we are in pain. without proper oxygen we cannot have any energy.
i hope you have one of those lovely up days soon. they are so nice.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #11
(female)

iwannabenormal HB User

Bluelakelady
You are so inspiring!! I can't imagine dealing with strokes on top of this. Do they have anything to do with the fibro?
What is fibro release therapy?
God Bless You.

Marlee

Closed Thread