It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

zelda77 HB User
Cymbalta and Amitryptiline

Have someone tried it for fibro? I want a definite guarantee that this combo works, because I have to change my Effexor XR to Cymbalta(horrible withdrawel) and Elavil makes you feel groggy for at least 2 weeks. I have a 9 month old baby and just want to know if it is worth the effort?

Old 08-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Smile Re: Cymbalta and Amitryptiline

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda77 View Post
Have someone tried it for fibro? I want a definite guarantee that this combo works, because I have to change my Effexor XR to Cymbalta(horrible withdrawel) and Elavil makes you feel groggy for at least 2 weeks. I have a 9 month old baby and just want to know if it is worth the effort?
I have Fibro also. In my opinion i really don't think there is a definate guarantee combo that works, since no one reacts the same to different medications. For me Cymbalta made me feel very anxious with severe heart poundings.For a short time i took Cymbalta during day and Elavil at bedtime. My doc replaced Cymbalta with Celexa during the day and i still take Elavil at bedtime. Do what's best for you and consult your doctor with any medication problems. Just because this did not work for me does not mean it would not work for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
(female)

zelda77 HB User
Re: Cymbalta and Amitryptiline

Thanx for your response. Does the Elavil relieve your pain or do you just sleep better?

Old 08-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Smile Re: Cymbalta and Amitryptiline

I had a sleep study that shows my deep sleep levels 3 and 4 do not exist.
Since they do not exist my body does not regenerate itself to a healthy state. This is how it has all been explained to me. The Elavil is to help me reach deep sleep levels so my body can regenerate itself. Pain is with me daily, i just cannot get relief. When i lay down at night my spine feels as it is paralyzed. But like i have said before not all respond the same to medications. Do what is best for you, Cymbalta just did not work for me at all. On a low dose i had major complications, it may be ok for you. I hope you can find relief.

BeHappy2

Old 08-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
(female)

gunner00 HB User

I asked my rheumi about Cymbalta and he advised me to be careful. He said studies have shown increased suicide rate with use and he didn't recommend it.

When I was first being diagnose the doctor gave me Elavil 25mg. I took it for a week and it wiped me out. There was no change in my pain and it actually made me feel worse. After a week I had to stop taking it because I was having extreme pain, fatigue and mood swings. I thought it was driving me crazy.

I have noticed that drugs that I have taken that are a combo of muscle relax, anti-depressant, and pain reliever have really messed me up mentally and physically. Read about the side effects and have your family watch your symptoms.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:59 AM   #6
(female)

zelda77 HB User

I am currently on dihydrocodeine 60mg x3 daily and Venlor XR. The Venlor was prescribed a few months ago for depression and it works great, so I am not so keen on changing it. I actually want to wait till the summer(3 months) and see if it gets better, but my rhumy insists that I change my antidepressant, because he does not want to give me pain meds anymore. It is not like I am abusing it or something!

Old 08-12-2007, 01:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

I take many colorful cocktails for both fibro and BiPolar... I am not making light of it but sometimes you have to think of it in different terms. At one time they did switch me from Efferxor XR to cymbalta and there was no withdrawals or side effects at all.

The Effexor had quit working and the cymbalta did nothing. But please remember everyone is different. I take a total of 8 meds and then the trigger point injections for my issues.

The new combo may or may not work and you will just need to keep looking.

Good Luck to you.

Closed Thread