HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Hi Everyone, My story (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/522659-hi-everyone-my-story.html)

Jules77 08-05-2007 07:18 PM

Hi Everyone, My story

Hello,
I am 39 yrs old and have been told I have fibro by 2 Rheumys and another said no that I have RA. I have had symptoms for it seems like my whole life but 2 1/2 years ago I woke up with flu like symptoms and horrible joint pains that never really went away. I don't really have pain in my muscles but I do have a burning and "twitches" sometimes. My pain is almost always my joints like knees,elbows,fingers,wrists, sometimes every joint. I go into flare ups where I feel extreme fatigue and horrible horrible joint pains.I do get some swelling and alot of stiffness. I have so many other symptoms like mental fog, anxiety, severe fatigue, IBS like symptoms, dizziness, nausea, bladder issues, very sensitive to noise and smells, so on and so on. I actually work for a Dr (family practice) who thinks I have RA( I respond well to steroids most of the time). I told the Rheumy that I don't have muscle pain and they said that there are muscles that surround the joints that are causing my pain. And when I go into a flare I have this one spot in the middle of my back but a little lower feels like my spine that has intense burning.It's always the same spot. About 4 inches long. I have always felt "fragile". I am kind of in denial so what do you think this could be? I forgot to add that I get horrible pain in the bottom of my feet where I feel like I can't take another step.

BeHappy2 08-05-2007 08:58 PM

Re: Hi Everyone, My story

Has your Rheumy ordered blood tests for RA ?

BeHappy2

Jules77 08-06-2007 08:58 PM

Hi, Yes my Dr. has run all the tests. My Rheumatoid Factor has come out high once at 55 I think. But that was 5 years ago and has been normal since. I have 11 out of 18 tender points. I just think it's weird that all my pain is in my joints only,except for my feet and that spot on my back. Well every once in a while I'll have a burning pain for like a few seconds in a muscle. I have constant knots in my shoulders and neck. So now I actually have 2 Rheumys and one PA say FM, and 1 Rheumy and 2 PA's and my Dr. say RA. So frustrating.

BeHappy2 08-07-2007 09:20 PM

Hi Jules, It's very possible you have both, fibro and RA. I'm sure you know there are numerous arthritis. I have the fibro, osteo, possible RA. My Rheumy has said there is a 10% of Rh factors not showing the RA result. She believes i am one but continues checking blood every 6 months due to mixed connective tissue disease. I agree with you, all of this can be very confusing. I have the muscle and joint pain, swelling along with the joint pain. You had mentioned the lower back pain. Does it feel like the sciatic? I ask that beacause there are days i feel the lower back pain acts as if i had been doing hard labor work and can't even bend or squat it's so painful.
Welcome to the boards, i'm sure you'll get lots of questions answered by people who experience the same as you. Glad to meet you.

BeHappy2

acheychick 08-11-2007 01:11 AM

PLEASE , PLEASE, Take a tally of your "OWN" symptoms ( in your own words) , before reading too many "blogs" or web sites for symptoms... Just jot them down when you feel them, and you can always add to them later if needed. We are influenced by the white lab coat as we sit half naked in a previously used , back opened " GOWN" to discuss our " Symptoms" and our " Diagnosis" and "TREATMENT" in 15 min or less.... I ALWAYS write down my questions AND my MD's " SUGGESTIONS" for my symptoms. Think of your body like a car... you don't need to go to the first mechanic if you don't feel comfortable with the " estimate". I am NOT SAYING TO DOCTOR SHOP!!! But PLEASE make sure its a very very comfortable fit...especially HALF naked while your MD is clothed.. Its sounds humorous, but it is very very true.

Ask to talk to them in their office AFTER the exam!!! You are hiring THEM , as they are you, too. They may have little compassion for the "diagnosis" because of the HUGE MISDIAGNOSIS. Life is just to short , ESPECIALLY if you have any medical challenge ( I was finally diagnosed in 1995 after a 4 year experiment/search which took toll on my soul and bank account)

I was literally told everything.. ( I have been in the hospital based medical field since 1981). So, sometimes a little bit of knowledge IS dangerous. But please believe me when I say.. there is the RIGHT MD fit for you.... IT IS NOT ALL IN YOUR HEAD or lab results. It took me some time but I was determined to be respected, not only during a office visit ( front office to back) but at the Pharmacy too. I WILL NOT be looked at as a " lesser being'ecause I may be prescribed a " pain" medication.

OK now I realize I have vented... But it is years of experience, in any way if I can shorten your path to health... Let me know...

Best Wishes,

ONEACHEYCHICK