It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2001, 01:47 PM   #1

Donut HB User
Question Pain--help

I have fibromylagia as well as osteoarthritis and depression. I am on prozac for depression. I had total knee in Sept and have been awful since. It hurts everywhere, but no doctor wants to keep me on narcotics. I also have hypothyroid and take levoxyl. I have read a lot of the messages about pain, but does anyone have a suggestion for over the counter meds that can help. I have tried high doses of motrin with no effect and am now trying aspirin. I have not worked for most of last year, but need to start work next week and I do not know how I am going to do it with all this pain. I am a registered nurse so it is a stressful job. Any help would be appreciated

Old 01-11-2001, 02:19 PM   #2

Elaine from Kentucky HB User
Arrow

Hi, donut! Welcome to the board. I take
Tylenol for pain, and I never take more than three at a time. It's like taking a sugar pill, though, cause it's worth zilch in the help department. I also tried Tylenol Arthritis which seemed to help for a while, but it stopped working it's magic. Ibuprofen and naproxen just don't do the trick anymore for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2001, 04:07 PM   #3
Inactive

korken HB User
Thumbs up

Donut, Hi again! Do you have a dx of FMS? If so go to a pain clinic. That was the only place that helped my husband by giving him something that worked. If you have any Dx that would state you need pain management. Over the counter stuff as you already know, being a nurse, is like taking an asprin for a broken leg. Boy, I hate it when you can't get the meds you need to function. Good luck and take care, Kim

Old 01-11-2001, 04:57 PM   #4

Charlie Weaver HB User
Donut, before I got my diagnosis of FMS, I was taking anywhere from 16 to 20 Ascriptin a day (with doctor's order). It helped for a while and because it had Maalox in it, the maalox would coat your stomach so you don't have as many problems. It worked for me until the FMS got really out of control and now it seems nothing works.

Old 01-11-2001, 07:07 PM   #5

sunshinep28 HB User
People are different but when my pain was mild goodys arthritis powders use to do the trick they are not good though if ya have stomach problems you might want to suggest ultram to your doc it worked good for me with pain but i was allergic to it now they have me on Darvacet hope you get to feeling better God Bless Pam

Old 01-11-2001, 09:14 PM   #6

tacocotton HB User
Hi donut, I'm not sure if this may help a little but there is a thing called" percogesic" over the counter that you can get. Some days its not too bad and it helps me.2 or 3 helps me. Hope it helps you. I wish you luck.
Bea

------------------

Old 01-11-2001, 09:25 PM   #7

Scoobs HB User
Before the Ultram and Vioxx....way back when I was on the over the counter meds...I used to use Aleve....that seemed to be better than the Tylenols and Ibuprofens....

------------------
~Luv Scoobs~

Closed Thread