It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
(female)

Hurtin4Certain HB User
Cymbalta Tramadol Ultram Incompatible. Now What?

Hi everyone,
I have a new dilemma now.
My new doc won't let me try Cymbalta since I am on Tramadol.
He had a patient who had a seizure due to this combination.
So I asked for another pain medication to wean me off of tramadol.
He ordered a mild dose of Darvon to take with 50mg tramadol and gradually
taper off in 2 weeks.
I was taking 100 mg tramadol, 2x/day which helped me function.
The Darvon did not work at all!
I had to go back to 100 mg tramadol after 3 days due to the severe pain.
So now he won't give me any other pain reliever
and refuses to give me Cymbalta.
He just told me to stay on the tramadol.
I suffer from depression. I've been depressed a long time.
I asked what I can take for depression, and he had no answers!
Do any of you fellow fibro sufferers take an antidepressant with tramadol?
If so, which one do you take?
Or if anyone has any suggestions on how to get off of tramadol without going through fibro pain, please let me know.
I tried to reduce the tramadol by taking Aleve, Ibuprofen, Aspirin, etc. but
nothing helped at all.
Please advise.
Thanks!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
(female)

sunny47 HB User
Re: Cymbalta Tramadol Ultram Incompatible. Now What?

Last Decmeber the rheumie I saw put me on Tramadol and trazadone, which is Desryl and is an antidepressant. He gave it to me to hopefully improve sleep. I had reactions to both so stopped the trazadone right away and later the tramadol. I know what you mean - tramadol is very addictive. I was on 25-50 mg at night for 3 months and went through withdrawl when I stopped - so be careful stopping it especially with the dose you are taking.

Good luck and hopefully you will find the right combination of medicines to help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
(female)

star464 HB User

Hello ya'll-I have been lurking around for months on this site picking up what info and tips I could regarding fibro. What an awesome community-I have found much comfort here. This is my first board posting. Hurtin' you prompted me to respond as I am taking cymbalta and ultram. I have been for about 6 months without any major problems (have noticed I sweat considerably when I am active and think it is probably the ultram.) I take 2-50 mg ultram 3 times daily and with them I take 3-325 mg lightly coated aspirins. I have been able to take insane amounts of aspirin without any problems (ringing in the ears is the only side effect) and have for about 10 years. About 4 days ago I started taking Lyrica 50 mg at bedtime. I will do that for 7 days and then increase the Lyrica to 1-50 mg 2 times daily for a week and then increase it to 1-50 mg 3 times daily. I have not had any problems that I recognize due to the above combinations. I am hoping that the Lyrica will eventually take the place of the Ultram and aspirin....if nothing else, hopefully reduce my need for them. (I will have to get back to you regarding that plan.) I was alerted by my pharmacist about the cymbalta and ultram being a risk when combined but my doctor said it would not be a problem if I did not exceed his prescription orders (take 1-2 tablets every 6 hours). I have found I can usually go 8-12 hours before I need the ultram but if I am really hurting I will take them at 6 hours. I can appreciate your doctors' conservative approach however I would think that he would be well aware of other antidepressants that would work with ultram. If not, I would find another physician. Anyway, so far I am not having problems with cymbalta taken with ultram. I have learned that fibro is different for all of us and our biggest tasks seem to be finding a doctor who will actually work with us and finding the medications and lifestyles that help us maintain some semblance of a life well lived. Hang in there Hurtin'-you are not alone.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
(female)

Hurtin4Certain HB User

Thank you STAR464 and SUNNY47 for your advice and comments on what has helped you.
I will definitely check into seeing another doctor.
What scares me is that I think I am taking way too much tramadol
(100 mg 2x/aday).
My other doctor actually gave me a prescription for 100mg 4 times a day!
I wish he had told me it was addictive.
I had to change docs because I moved so my new doc must think I am a junky, lol.
STAR, I am going to try 2 or 3 aspirins at a time since you seem to be tolerating them. I was always afraid to take more than one, but at this point
I will try anything to reduce my need for tramadol.
I know I need an antidepressant. I am so depressed and severely lack a social life.
Someone told me to try St. John's Wort, so I will try it.
If you come across any "safe mixture" of antidepressants and tramadol, please
let me know.
STAR, I would like to ask you if the Cymbalta is helping you with pain/sleep/weight loss/ or anything else it claims to do.
I want to try it because I need help in all those areas.
Thanks again! : )
Hurtin4Certain

Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
(female)

star464 HB User

The cymbalta has had minimal effect (if any at all) in regards to pain relief, sleep, or weight loss. I am on fairly low dosage, I think it can be prescribed at a higher dose but I have not asked the doctor to raise it. Cymbalta has helped to a degree with my depression but I still have those symptoms as well. I was on effexor XR for several years with pretty good results (and was taking ultram during this period as well) but my doctor suddenly wanted me off of the effexor (he had heard of problems associated with it) and switched me to the cymbalta. I have thought of asking him to raise my dosage but keep putting it off in hopes things might improve....I am a die hard optimist and it gets me in trouble sometimes. Hurtin if you take aspirins make sure you take at least the lightly coated kind and maybe eat a little something. I can not stress enough that many (if not most) people can not tolerate aspirins, especially at the dosages that I take. To be on the safe side, I would ask you to call your doctors' office, ask to speak to the nurse, explain to her what you want to do and ask her if she would look at your medical records to see if it this would be something you could do safely. Hopefully they will accomodate you-at least I have always done this with wonderful success. I wish I could give you more help. I have never had a doctor NOT give me antidepressants.....for years before I was diagnosed with fibro, all they would tell me was "you are depressed" and prescribe antidepressants. I went through that for 20 years or so.....you may need to find a doctor who understands fibro and that will take some phone calling but might be well worth the trouble. Do not quit searching for answers and do not give up believing that you will find them. Take it one day at a time and relish those moments that seem to be better than the rest.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
(female)

Hurtin4Certain HB User

STAR464 Thank you for the advice and words to give me a "good attitude".
I did try 3 coated aspirins yesterday with food, but it did not help at all with
the pain.
I have an appt. with a rheumatologist in Sept. so I will see what he suggests to relieve depression as well as pain.
The tramadol is helping more than anything I have taken so far but when I read up on Cymbalta, I thought it might be that "miracle" pill for me.
I am glad you told me that it didn't help you much, so I won't pursue it now.
I am sorry it didn't help you, and I suspect it is not all it claims now.
Thats a long time you have been suffering with fibromyalgia.
Mine has only been about 3 years, but it seems like 20.
My best friend keeps telling me that I am in denial about this illness and that
I had just better accept it......she says there is no magic pill or cure for it.
I have always believed when you give up hope, you give up everything important for living, so I will continue to search for a solution to this pain.
I like these boards because knowledge and learning are the keys to the
solution, or at least they point to the right direction to find answers.
Have a good evening, and thanks for responding to my questions. : )

Old 08-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
(female)

Meme HB User

Hey Hurtin..I just wanted to tell you that Ultram/Tramadol is NOT considered a Narcotic and does NOT have addictive properties...

I just wanted to let you know that...
(ask your pharmacist)

It doesn't appear that you are on an antidepressant at all? Are you?

Fibro and all of it's maladies is NOT fun!!!
good luck
Meme

Last edited by Administrator; 12-19-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
(female)

Hurtin4Certain HB User

Hi MeMe,
Thanks for letting me know about the tramadol
NOT being a narcotic and NOT being addictive.
My doctor thinks that I am dependant on tramadol
and it is a borderline narcotic.
I know I am NOT addicted.
I only take it for the pain of fibro and can
get off of it immediately, if I only had a substitute
pain reliever that works.
As a pharmacy tech do you know of any antidepressants
that can be taken with tramadol?
My doc did not prescribe any antidepressants at this time,
although I am in great need of one as I told him.
I am seriously depressed and need to have a better outlook on life.
I have a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't believe fibromyalgia is
a real illness and that only "yuppies" claim to have it. lol
Thanks for your info!

Old 08-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
(female)

Ishla HB User

I agree, find a new doc. You asked what goes with tramadol. I take Effexor with tramadol. I would rather not take either as both are not only addictive, but very hard to ween off of according to all I've heard about both. But, at least they are compatable. Hope this helps

Last edited by Ishla; 08-20-2007 at 06:02 AM.

Closed Thread