It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

SPITFIRE71 HB User
Pain! Pain! Pain!

I Am A Newcomer To This Site. I Have Fibromyalgia And Have Had It For Many Years. I Would Appreciate Anyone's Help On Pain Medicine. I Am Taking Darvocett N100 And Just Started Taking Baclofen. My Doctor Does Not Want To Prescribe Anything More Than Vicodan And This Does Not Help Me. I See Where Some Of You Are Taking Oxycontin And Percodan. Believe Me, I Need Something Stronger And Was Wondering If I Should Seek Another Dr? Would Like To Say That The Darvocett Helps When I Don't Have A Flare=up, But This Summer Has Done A Number On Me With The Humidity. Hope I Am Making Sense, Because The Brain Fog Is With Me Today. Thanks In Advance For Any Help!!! Spitfire71

Old 08-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Wink Re: Pain! Pain! Pain!

Hi Spitfire,

Just wanted to welcome you to the board.

I can not help you with meds. because I can not tolerate them, but I am sure someone will be able to help.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
(female)

SPITFIRE71 HB User
Re: Pain! Pain! Pain!

Hi Linda, Thanks For Welcoming Me To The Message Boards! Also For The Hugs! How Do You Cope With The Firbromyalgia Without Meds? Spitfire71

Old 08-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB Userpa235 HB User
Red face Re: Pain! Pain! Pain!

Hi Spitfire,

The reactions I get from the meds are as bad as the pain, I get spaced out so bad I can not think, break out in hives and rashes, headaches etc, etc. You will find others that are like me and can not handle mds. I think our bodies become oversensative to everything.

I use the microwaveable gel packs, take x strength tyenol and that is it. At least the tyenol helps a little. My Dr. was a Pharmicist before becoming a Dr. and she dislikes pain meds, although she will rx something for pain, but is happy I am staying off them. She wants me to watch the use of tyenol also.

Hugs, Linda

Fibromyalgia
Myofascal pain syndrome
Costochondritis
Arthritis, cervical and thorastic

Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome spitfire,
i can take pain medications. i have found not one that helps with a flare up. my doc and i have discussed this at length. all that really helps me is to get up and get busy. i exercise the pain out. i do deep breathing and relaxation meditations.
i took so many pills seeking relief from pain. i took every herb and vitamin out there. still it came back to exercise, diet, attitude and choice. do i cave in to the pain or work with it? at first i caved in, it was so intense and new. now i just say, hello fibro, how you doing today? not so good? well let's find something to do and get our mind off the pain, shall we? the answer fibro always gives me is, no i don't want that. of course fibro does not want me active. if i am active fibro loses and my life is my own.
i have been in a wheelchair, bedridden, and lost myself during that time. i still have days where my legs are weak. strokes or fibro, does not matter the cause.
a good friend gifted me with a kayak during a time when my legs were very weak. got me out there in the water and before i knew it i was learning to swim again. while i am not strong i am able and that is more than enough for me. i am in p.t. now and recommend it highly. swim therapy to start then on to those machines. that was how i started. now we just dive into those machines and hurt, my goodness it hurts so good. that lovely pain of muscles moving and breathing. i really do enjoy pushing my body in p.t.
also i have fibromyalgia release therapy. it is a form of massage. i love it. sure hurts tho. later i am up, up, up with energy to spare. love those days.
if you are unhappy with your doc, for sure go shopping for another. for myself the stronger drugs are for when i get really old. i am saving them for then as i know i will require them more later than now. i can do this.
i do take pain meds, not for fibro tho. i take them for arthritis pain and the pain due to no cartlidge in my knees. did i mention i dance and walk regularly? i do and i take a pain pill so i can dance and dance. i kiss my knees later in gratitude. i do love to dance.
never have i found a drug that took away the pain of fibro. usually they just made me dopey enough so i forgot to care about the pain. slept way too much. lost muscle tone. so you see why i do not take them now. i am in my early 50's, still too young for oxycontin or anything morphine based. i like knowing what is going on around me and within me.
pain and i have become old friends. we help each other. having fibro is one of the grandest things to come into my life. it slowed me down and showed me all the flowers there are to stop and smell along this journey called my life.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hey Spitfire, welcome aboard, recent to fibro and the boards myself, see 2 of Golden Girls have come to your aid already with their different experiences, like to share with you what I do if that's ok, I take 30mgs of Amitrytaline at night, co-codamol x 4 a day and valium(not done it yet so not too sure how it will work) for when spasms and flare hits. I walk, distance depends on how I am that day, I'm not as brave as Blue yet, I have acupuncture on a regular basis, massage when I can take it, I use heat pads and a TENS unit, I keep off soda drinks and pork coz they just make me feel yuk I'm gonna try water therapy, but its not for everyone and I've just started to do stretches as well, wish you luck Spitfire, hope you will stabilise soon, take care keep well Snoozyowl

Closed Thread