It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User
Lightbulb CYMBALTA has been a God Send!

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share with you all that Cymbalta has helped me so much. I was very hesitant to try it, as I am not depressed. I was having flares all the time however, and I had issues with anxiety, crankiness, and irritability....BAD. I finally listened to my GP and started the Cymbalta. It made me feel strange for a few days, but I stuck with it and it went away very quickly. Then I noticed that not only was my pain better, but my mood was better, my fatigue was better, ect. My fiance' and family have really noticed a difference. A friend commented the other day that I sound and look so much better. It took about 4 weeks to see these results.

I just wanted to share this. I had read about this drug before, but as I said, I was hesitant to take an anti-depressant. Now I wish I had tried it sooner! Good luck everyone, and I hope this helps someone!

Amanda

Last edited by butrfligirl28; 08-19-2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
(female)

iwannabenormal HB User
Thumbs up Re: CYMBALTA has been a God Send!

One of my sons is on cymbalta for the family curse of anxiety, depression and out of control emotions. I can't believe how calm he is now.

I'm on two anti-depressants and have to get off one of them before I can try cymbalta. It's going to take a long time to get off of it, have to cut back very slowly. I can't wait to see what it does for the pain.

Marlee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
(male)

dahlstrom34 HB User
Re: CYMBALTA has been a God Send!

butrfligirl28,

Glad to hear that the Cymbalta has made you feel better. Have you been diagnosed with FM? If so, what symptoms were/are you having?

I have been to two different Rhemy's which one said I have it and the other said I don't.

Now after seeing a Psychiatrist he said that I must be depressed and prescribed Paxil which I have been on before and was fine.

My symptoms are listed under my thread. Take a look if you are curious.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=468716[/url]

Take care and good luck with the new med!! Yeah!!

~Carl

Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yep, I was diagnosed two years ago. I have bad headaches, body pain, muscle pain, IBS, pelvic pain, fatigue, and bad flares where even showering hurts! This med has really helped me. I hope both of you are able to try it, and get the same results! My pain is so bad that I have to take narcotics and muscle relaxers, so I was skeptical that an anti-depressant would help so much. Good Luck my friends!

Amanda

Old 08-22-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
(female)

Rascal12 HB User

Butrfligirl
Just curious as to what dose of cymbalta you are taking. I tried it when it first came on the market for my severe fibro and it didn't seem to help. Perhaps I didn't give it a long enough trial. You mentioned it took a month for it to work. Are you finding cymbalta helps with pain or depression? I have taken over 40 meds(at highest doses) - none have helped with pain.
Thanks
Rascal12
glad you are finding help with this drug

Old 08-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I find that it helps with pain AND depression. While I was not sad all the time, I was irritable, very fatigued, body pains out of this world, anxious, and generally wasn't dealing with things well. I cannot stress how much better I am doing. I started on the 30mg dose for one week, then went up to the 60 mg dose. My doctor says that you can even go up to the 60mg twice daily, for 120mg altogether. All anti-depressants take a while to work, and everyone is different. I felt weird for a few days, and I have heard many people quit because of a day or two of side effects. By day 3 or 4, all side effects were completely gone, and did not return when I doubled the dose. I hope it can help you too.

Best of luck and let me know! I pray that this is the answer you have been searching for!

Your Friend,

Amanda

Old 09-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

Hey Amanda I lucked up on this thread. Was wondering about your headaches and when the cymbalta started helping with this. Thank you!!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
(female)

dianesef HB User

I have found this, too! I've been on for about a month. A very brutal week of bad side effects at first. Now I'm on my second pain free week I've had in TWO years. My bowels are calm, my upper back is not in knots. I'd forgotten what it was like. It may not work for everyone and you really do have to weather that first week - ugh. But it was so worth it.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
(female)

steffk1020 HB User

I was looking into Cymbalta as well. I'm curious to know what you mean by brutal side effects. If you don't mind sharing...

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

Glad to hear that Cymbalta is working for some! I had a horrible time with extremely bad side effects; e.g., nausea so bad that I couldn't eat at all, so dizzy I couldn't stand up, and fatigue so bad I couldn't move...also felt disassociated, heart palpitations. In all fairness, I just haven't done well on any anti-depressants Hope this one keeps working well for y'all!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
(female)

IdahoBlonde HB User

Hello fellow fibro fighters
I too have fibro & at one point was seeing a physical rehab doctor who was telling me that some studies have shown that fibro patients respond well to much higher then normal dosages of Cymbalta. I had started to take 120 mgs a day & was noticing some improvement. However, after losing my job due to fibro & then losing my benefits I can't afford to take the higher dosages So i'm back down to 60 mgs a day.....and i'm lucky I can take that much since I don't have insurance but my primary care doctor has been kind enuf to give me samples.
Glad your seeing good results....I hope to go back to the higher dose someday

Closed Thread