It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
(female)

jenilee70 HB User
Beds/mattresses for people with fibromyalgia

There seems to be some connection btw sleep problems and fibromyalgia, and not getting enough rest and waking up with pain can become a vicious cycle. I have my share of sleep problems, which include finding it difficult to fall asleep, waking up in the early morning, waking up with pain and just not feeling rested.

Anyway, for the last couple of weekends I have stayed at my mother's house. Since she is away, I have slept in her brand new bed. I thought I had a great mattress (a chiropractic one), but I sleep so much better in her bed and have less pain in the morning too! I thought I was imagining it last weekend, but this weekend it's the same. I never wake up this rested at home in my bed.

She has one of those hugely expensive adjustable beds, with massage and God knows what else. I don't care for the massage or the possibility of moving the bed up and down, but I love the mattress. The top part of the mattress is in a material which is similar to the Tempur pedic mattresses (although it's called Hollandia Gold - Zero Gravity or something).

I've read some very different reviews on the internet about different beds for people with fibromyalgia, including people who loved AND hated Tempur type mattresses. I don't really have the money to spend on a new bed, but if it makes this much difference in my pain levels, I can't really afford not to. Now, I've only slept in this bed a couple of nights, so I don't know what the long term results would be.

Do any of you have beds that helped with your symptoms - or beds that you have tried that didn't work at all or even made you worse?

Last edited by jenilee70; 08-19-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Re: Beds/mattresses for people with fibromyalgia

Have you tried a memory foam topper? It can be difficult to find the right one for you, I tried several and returned them. My mother in law had one on her bed in her spare room that I would sleep on when I stayed there, unfortunately she could not remember the brand so after a year of trying all different ones she finally gave it to me. I know she bought it at a store called Boscov's and it's about 3 inches thick with a smooth surface. Anyway it helps me because it greatly reduces the pressure on the body-it sort of just molds to you but at the same time still gives support and fills in any space like lower back etc. Also much cheaper than a mattress. I don't know if you have a spouse but if you do and he doesn't like it (mine didn't) just buy a twin size and put it only on your side. Yes the bed looks lopsided but I sure don't care!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

jenilee70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdel View Post
Have you tried a memory foam topper? It can be difficult to find the right one for you, I tried several and returned them. My mother in law had one on her bed in her spare room that I would sleep on when I stayed there, unfortunately she could not remember the brand so after a year of trying all different ones she finally gave it to me. I know she bought it at a store called Boscov's and it's about 3 inches thick with a smooth surface.
No, I've never heard of a memory foam topper before, but it sounds interesting. Now, I'm not in the U.S. and I don't know if they're sold over here, but it's definitely something I'll look into.

At least, it's cheaper to try this than to buy a whole new bed, especially since my chiropractic mattress is relatively new. Thanks for the tip!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #4
(female)

tweiler HB User

I can say that waterbeds are not good for fibro. We have one and I try to sleep on it but most nights I end up either in the recliner or on the couch. I have managed to sleep on it through the night before and woke up hurting so bad I could barely move. Turns out the cat had been playing around and unplugged it. Cold waterbeds ARE NOT good. But, I also tried putting an electric blanket on top of the sheet and it helped with the pain and stiffness. I love my electric blanket because I can curl up on the couch or in a chair and we don't have to have the heat so high because I am wrapped in warmth.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
(female)

knytrose HB User

Hi - I've had sleep problems from the begining with my FM. Do you take any medications to help with this problem? There are a few different meds (in combination) that help - that aren't sleeping pills. I've also tried several different mattresses and for the first month or so most are good, but then once it starts conforming to my body - it's the same old story. Well my doctor finally sent me to a sleep clinic - for the FM and other problems, especially my high blood pressure. Turns out that in addition to my FM, I have very bad sleep apnea, restless leg symdrome, with possibly sleep paralisis and narcolepse (sp?). I now have a Bi-Pap machine and sleep much better. I still wake up with some stiffness and pain - but it is so much better than it was! Now if we can find that perfect mattress - it would be heaven!
-- But do ask your doc about the use of some meds to help you sleep - I have a combination of a low dose anti-depressent and muscle relaxer which helps me go to sleep and then stay asleep. I've taken this for several years and haven't really had to increase the dosage significantly at all. And I can tell the difference if I don't take them! Remember - the effects of losing sleep are cumulative - the more you lose the worse you feel. My doc told me I have probably been sleep deprived for several years - this alone would make a healthy person feel awful! So for us, you know it's bad news. If you ever find out which kind of Tempru pedic mattress it is, let me know!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
(female)

jenilee70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by knytrose View Post
Hi - I've had sleep problems from the begining with my FM. Do you take any medications to help with this problem? There are a few different meds (in combination) that help - that aren't sleeping pills.
I've tried sleeping pills and they work, but I can't take them for more than a few days at a time. I took Amitryptiline for a while, but it didn't help me sleep at all. I also took Neurontine, which did help me sleep, but it made me drowsy during the day and I found it hard to focus at work. Both made me gain weight rather fast, and I did not lose all of it when I went off the medication.

So, I feel like I can either choose taking drugs to help me sleep and become fat and unable to think clearly, or not taking drugs and being in constant pain. OK I'm exaggerating a bit, but this is why I'm only taking Plaquenil now. Maybe there are some better medications I haven't tried, but right now I'm kind of wary.

Last edited by jenilee70; 08-21-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
(female)

knytrose HB User
Cool Re: Beds/mattresses for people with fibromyalgia

I think that is one of the most frustrating things about FM - there just isn't One Tx, one way to make everything better! I also use a TENS unit for when my muscles hurt so much - my husband calls it my 'shock therapy' but it really does help out the pain. I tried it out during physical therapy a few years ago and it was really helpful. And to my surprise - my insurance paid for it. Hmmmm wonder if we can ever get insurance to pay for a really good mattress?? Wouldn't that be great?! I don't blame you about keeping the meds to a minimum. Less is definately more! I hope you find something that works for you!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 AM   #8
(female)

Bouncy HB User

I have a memory foam mattress topper from Tempra (I thnik).
I actually ordered it out of my catalogue, it's amazing what they sell now.
It was £140 and worth every penny. They also had pillows which are great for the neck pain.
I've had it for 2 months and can't explain the difference it's made.

Closed Thread