It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

cantell HB User
OH MY Gosh!

I have not visited this board in a while and I noticed so many new folks! first I want to say I am sorry you have fibro! and the second is to say WELCOME to the fibro board!
I found this board and the folks on it to be very helpfull and uplifting when I get in a bad flare or feel blue.

now, I have a question if someone would care to share. I started getting dry skin expecially in the winter...this dry skin thing going on 3 years now has turned into cronic dry skin..and why I call it cronic is because it doesnt matter what I put on my skin ie..pure coconut oil, pure sweet almond oil, lotions (to many to mention) they help when I put it on (after getting out of a cool shower) but a few hrs later its like I never put anything on..my skin sucks it up so fast and the flaky skin is back. it is mostly on the heals of my feet and my arms and legs. I have even got the fingernail brush after my arms and legs..ouch!!! LOL

it does not turn into sore's, blisters, cracks in the skin, tender nor does it hurt or itch..I am not vain..but this on my arms is an joy killer for me..expecially in 105 degree weather and short sleves. ah well , I am a homebound hermit now anyway. grrrr sometimes I hate for my husband to touch me on my forarms because I am embarrased to a point about it. it looks like a bad 7th day chapped/sunburn gone very bad.
ah and one other thing I take flaxseed oil gel tabs and eat alot....well more fish than I ever have..still no relief.

any and all sugestion are looked forward to and appriciated! ooohhhh do I sound a bit desperate? LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User
Re: OH MY Gosh!

Hey cantell, its been a while for me too, so I join you in welcoming the newbies and sending my regrets as well.
I get dry skin patches like exima?!? (however you spelll it.) Just on my legs in the winter. Mine itch like mad. Are you drinking your 8/8 of water every day? I know I dont drink enough water. I used to drink a gallon+ a day when I was training in the gym. Im not a big fan of the stuff but do believe the hydration of water and flushing the body with mass amounts does have its benefits. Dry skin is one of the first signs of not drinking enough of it.
Good to see you on the board!!!!
Feel well,
Felicia

Old 08-22-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
(female)

headpain05 HB User

I'm not sure if it will help, but have you tried fish oil gel tabs as well as the flaxseed oil? I started taking it for dry eyes and found that it really helps in a variety of ways...something to try if you haven't already.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
(female)

Bouncy HB User

I don't know what you would call it over there but we have some ointments called Dovonex and Metosyn. They are great for flaky skin. Also Aqueous cream is great.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
(female)

cantell HB User

oh! oh! hi there fanntacy! good you are back too..it just would not be the same with out your funny inputs!!
Noooo I do not drink enought H2O..I dont have the aquired taste for it either..I used to when I was younger..just couldnt get enough of it then..ahhh what happend???
I never ever never liked green peas either; I used to say that green peas were toxic and they only got put on the table once a year!! people only serve them at thanksgiving to relatives!! (in the south anyway)

now, every once in a while I will heat some up and serve them and put 2 on my plate..MY husband loves them. oh BTW green peas are english peas tho's small round green beens that looks like fresh rabbit poo! LOL

Thanks you guys for the replies..I AM trying to drink a half glass of water at one time twice a day and trying to build up..its a slow go tho

I am gonna write down tho's names of stuff you mentioned bouncy are they a type of lotion or salve or oils?? I will try anything practically.
and headpain, I have been comtaplating getting the fish oil to go along with the flakseed but tell me; does it really make your breath smell fishy? I will pass smooth out if I taste anything fishy..ewwwwww anyway let me know..I will sure purchase it if you dont taste it. thanks again! you guys are great and this board rocks!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hey Fibrogals, sorry to read about your prob skin, my suggestion is... wait for it... SEAWEED! Honest it works, great for skin and hair. Once or twice a month, just soak in a seaweed bath, no shampoo, soap or bubbly stuff, all the directions are on the box. Follow them, its important to release the stuff in the seaweed and to avoid burning yourself. Follow that up with what we call E45 cream, change your soap, use aqua cream instead it can be used either as a cream when you're dry or as a subsitute for soap. Ain't no overnight cure, but stick with it Good luck my fellow fibromites, let us know how you get on. Take care keep well hugs Snoozyowl

Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
(female)

headpain05 HB User

The fish oil doesn't have any taste at all. I'm the same way...I wouldn't want to take it if it tasted fishy. I'm assuming like me you don't eat fish either. In that case, I would doubly recommend you take fish oil...it gives you a lot of the fatty acids and other important nutrients that you get from fish. Hope it goes well!!

Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
(female)

cantell HB User

What wonderfull information and sugestions! I am going to wal mart this afternoon with the post print out so I dont forget anything...sea weed huh? who would have thought. I could see using chonch shells for scraping the dry skin off..LOL

I sure hope they have this stuff..I am in a very small town..wal mart is the next best thing to chocolate!

nope sorry to say I dont eat enough fish..love to catch them tho..hubbys been taken me out on his boat every weekend night to go catfishing with him..the freezer is full of catfish fillets now. yes..he baits my hook, cast it out for me and if a big one gets on my pole I yell and squeal for him to take it cause there is a monster at least a 20 pounder on there and my husband knows full well if I get scared I will let go of the rod..fish and all gone! LOL so he pulls them in for me too! I am such a sissy! LOL

so far the biggest fish I snaged was a 10lb blue cat.

thanks again to you all!!

Old 08-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hi All, Cantell if you are not able to get seaweed in town, they do sell on the net, scraping skin with conch shell? What are you like? How can you be a sissy? hee hee, you got fibro baby, no one with fibro is a sissy!! We're brave, all them there tests! We're determined, we live each day as it comes! We're amazing! we fall down and dust ourselves off and carry on! LOL Try the seaweed Cantell, its a funky feeling, but you get used to it, oh and no crabs in it either hee hee. Hi Headpain, you gonna try it too? rub it all over including your hair, its weird, you two gals take care now and let me know how you get on, big gentle hugs Snoozyowl

Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

cantell..i have had dry skin in the same areas as yours for more yrs than i can count! yrs ago my doc told me to also use nothing but liquid bath wash and to cut down to showering every other day. i have taken the fish oil for about a yr now, it has'nt helped. i will continue taking it though because i eat fish very seldom also. the only lotion i have tried to keep the dry under control a bit longer is jergens. that lotion is big in hospitals too, and other institusions.
the seaweed is interesting, just can't imagine bathing in it..eew!
take care....bevann

Old 08-24-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
(female)

snoozyowl HB User

Hi All, I know the seaweed sounds weird, but any soap will dry the skin out to certain degree, even the most gentlest soap or bath lotion will do it, just take a book to read, lay back in the seaweed bath and relax, giggle, what with eating fish, taking fish oil caps and seaweed baths, we're gonna grow fins You all take care, let me know the outcome, if ya brave enough to try the seaweed Bevann!! hugs my fellow fibrobabes Snoozyowlxx

Old 08-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #12
(female)

Ishla HB User

Well, dry skin is a problem for meeeee also. Here in tha south, we use what is called udder balm. It's not always easy to find, but Wal Mart carries it most times. The last time I got some, the tub it came in had a cute black and white cow ish design on it, like the spots on those famous dairy cows who live "happy" in California. Also, even though it don't taste all that good, drink lots of water to keep hydrated. If water really bothers ya, try using those neat little crystal something packets (can't remember the full name of them)that you just pour into a water bottle and shake up. There's ads for them on TV all the time. Come in really nice flavors. Anyway... good luck.

Closed Thread