It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

jenilee70 HB User
Burning skin sensation

I'm dealing with daily pain in my hands, which is sometimes crippling and sometimes just annoying.

My fingers are stiff and painful, and I also have pain in the back of my hand, wrists and sometimes elbows.

One symptom that perplexes me is a sort of a "burning skin" sensation. The skin on a part of my hand will be very sensitive and when I touch it with a feather-light touch, it will hurt. Sort of like when you have sunburnt skin. It even feels uncomfortable to have the sleeve of my top graze the skin.

Right now, the whole side of my left hand feels like this, from the forearm through the wrist to the beginning of the little finger. Is this fibromyalgia or something else? Is this something the rest of you are familiar with and what can be done?

Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
Re: Burning skin sensation

I have experienced this type of burning all over my body before, even the soles of my feet. I couldn't stand to let anything touch my skin except for a very soft sheet. That was at onset of fibro 3 years ago. I still have burning patches on my arms, elbows, thighs, and face. Air conditioning and cold fronts set it off. It also precedes severe fibrofog flares. Neurontin 300 - 600 mg. is the only thing i have found that relieves the pain. I keep it on hand for this one purpose. I hope that this will work for you and that you're feeling better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

GodsGirl4ever06 HB User

I get random spots like that all the time. Usually on my hands, arms, neck, and feet. Unfortunantly, I have not found anything that makes it feel better, I just wait it out. Which sucks . . .

Fibromyalgia
Mitral Valve Prolapse
Tachycardia
High Blood Pressure
Nummular Eczema
Depression
Esophagitis
Solar Urticaria (but not officially yet)

Old 08-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Burning skin sensation

Hi Jenilee, I am very familiar with what symptoms you are explaining. It has to be a fibro nerve pain that flares in my opinion. I also have this burning sensations in both feet. All can be extremely painful. Your burning skin sensation is for real, as my Rheumy has said, this is a new way of life i have to adjust to. I don't like it one bit but reading posts here and reading how others cope with Fibro is a must. Sharing our pain and ways to live with Fibro.
My burning sensations in feet never leave, i am now developing sores between toes. Have no idea of how or why so, I'll see what a foot doc can tell me what's going on with the sores.

BeHappy2

Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
(female)

Angie10 HB User

Hi Jenilee,

I get random areas of skin that burns out of the blue. It feels deeper than a sun burn - like it goes to the bone. It is primarily on my legs. I don't like anything to touch my skin when this happens but many a time this cannot be helped. I can't imagine how challenging it must be for you to have the burning in your hands but I can relate to the pain in the fingers, hands, wrists, and elbows, as well.

I wish there was something I could suggest for you but I haven't found anything to make it go away any quicker. I am on Celexa and Neurontin and both medications have reduced my pain levels.

I hope you feel better soon and I wish you the best!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
(female)

Passion Flower HB User

Your not along....
I also have burning in two areas on my feet.
It's terrible when it hits. You just never know when or how painful.
Iam just starting to really deal with the issue with my family doctor.
Iam currently taking Lyrica, which helps, but does cover that burning pain your talking about.
Even to touch the sheets on my bed at night can be very painful.
Sometimes the pain feels like a contraction, and then it eases off..but the blood vessels on my foot stand straight up.
I have neuropathy in both feet, I believe it's from the FM...
When my feet really get the painful burning sensation, wrap the in ice bages, "it really works.' It will be interesting to see who else has this problems , and maybe we can all learn from it.,
Good luck with your medical condition.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:29 AM   #7
(female)

jenilee70 HB User

Thanks for all your replies. I think I'll try ice-bags or something similar next, like Passion flower mentioned, since I did feel better when I tried to "cool" my hand on my glass table or the leather couch, which feels a bit cool to the touch.

I have this sort of heat and ice pack for pain relief that you can put in the freezer and I've sometimes used it when my shoulder hurts, but I never thought of using it on my hands when the skin acts weird. So that's one thing I can definitely try. Thanks!

I'm really curious about Lyrica, but I'm not sure we have it over here. I just switched rheumatologists since I moved, and the new one wants me to stop Neurontin and start me on Amitryptyline (Elavil), which he claimed was the "only medicine" which helped in fibromyalgia.

I'm afraid he's a bit old-fashioned and not following up on the latest medications, since I know Elavil is something that was used on fibromyalgia years ago and now there are so many other drugs, at least in the U.S. it seems.

Has anyone tried Elavil and did it help? I know someone who gained 20 pounds on it in a very short period, so I'm not very keen.

Last edited by jenilee70; 08-28-2007 at 04:30 AM.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I was on pamelor which is in the same family as Elevil. this was before fibro. It really helped with the depression and I was a runner then so I didn't gain weight. I slept like a rock. It caused my mouth to be dry. I had to stop taking it due to urinary retention, a problem i have had with a few meds.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
(female)

Angie10 HB User

Jenilee -

I was on Elavil at one point as a migraine preventative in addition to Prozac for the Fibro. Unfortunately, being on both gave me hand tremors and my legs would jerk when I would lay down. I think, combined, they were too high a combination of SSRI's for my system to take.

However, I am on Neurontin now and have no issues with it. I think it has helped with some degree with the pain and does help me sleep better. I had a doctor that tried to put me on Lyrica but I was also taking the Elavil at night and resulted in a bad reaction so I didn't take it again.

I believe that, with the Neurontin, you won't gain weight like with Elavil and it really does help with the pain. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
(female)

debroueche HB User
Smile Re: Burning skin sensation

Hi Jenilee, try a TENs unit on the burning spots on your skin. I know this sounds crazy, but it worked for me. My doctor says that the electrical current breaks the cycle of the pain. I think most insurance companies pay for the TENs unit, so it is worth a try. Also, heat helps. Try either a hot soaking tub or even a hot rag on the spots. Good luck, Debroueche

Old 06-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
(female)

munkafats HB User

ive had this for years but on my legs , it can effect 1 toe or my calf , anywhere for that matter , there are no visible symptons , i describe it as feeking like ive been burnt with an iron , ouchies if it happens just under my buttocks tis painful to sit on a cold toilet seat lol . a doc once told me this was sciatica which made sense to me as depending how severe it will normally go away after a good nights sleep

Old 08-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #12
(female)

clovergirly HB User

it sounds like rsd...

Old 08-21-2010, 03:47 AM   #13
(female)

leonap HB User

Oh yes,i get that too.Sometimes I dont even want to brush my hair because my scalp with be so sensitive.It is extremely bad when the weather changes.Even when the dewpoint or humidity changes that can set it off.Hang in there. :0)

Closed Thread