It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2002, 08:59 AM   #1
Inactive

LHowells HB User
Question Does anyone suffer "Stress body shut down"?

Hi,
I'm new to this board. I was wondering if anyone with FMS has what I call "stress body shut down"? After an extremely stressful situation (ex. argument, kid problems, money problem, stranger, etc) does anyone feel the terrible need to just have to lay down and go to sleep or at least just try to relax? It's hard to try to explain. I find that after an extreme situation my body just feels like it's going to give out if I don't go lay down. I've been having this for years and I was wondering if it's associated with FMS or hypothyroidism. Any help would be appreciated.
Kim
http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

Old 02-22-2002, 02:01 PM   #2
Inactive

korken HB User
Wink

Kim, Gary and I get that every day. Gary feels that way almost 24-7 I off and on and it doesn't have to be stress for me. It just happens. I feel like I was wrang me out and left on the ground. It is horrible. That's why I take ridilan to help me stay awake and move.

------------------
Take care ~Kim & Gary~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2002, 07:15 PM   #3
Inactive

LHowells HB User
Talking

Thanks for responding Kim, It's good to see I'm not alone with this. You responding to my posting about the bad car accident and the windfall of things I was diagnosed with after that. Can I ask what trigged yours and Gary's? (if it's not too personal)
Kim

Old 02-23-2002, 07:20 AM   #4
Inactive

korken HB User
Smile

Kim,

We aren't positve what triggered ours. We both have been in car accidents. I a few with some boy friends as a teen( they were terrible drivers). Then I was raped at 16. But, from going back and talking to my Parents; they noticed things changeing for me when I was 12 and my grandfather died (we were very close) and My brother did something to me to and I was no longer able to do ballet and I had been accepted at the academy in Philly. So for me I believe it started at 12 due to emotional trauma. I had a remission state for a couple years then the rape and stalking and raped again several mos later by the same man. He's no longer around. For Gary he had problems as a child that we now know was FMS symtoms and remissions. But, when he was in a severe care accident at 19 it has continually become worse since then. We are in our mid 40's now. Our 18 year old also has FMS and he started with problems from birth but, was just DX. He had stomach problems, pain in leggs and body as a child and much more, Hospitalised several times and they never knew what was wrong. We see many symtoms in 4 of our 5 boys. The oldest ones 24, 21 & 20 are not interested in seeing the doctor at this time. We are watching the 3 year old closely.

------------------
Take care ~Kim & Gary~

Old 02-24-2002, 12:04 AM   #5
Inactive

darlene HB User
LHowells - Hi, yes I believe stress can make you feel as if your body is going into a "shutdown". When I was working I would come home and literally walk through the door, drop my keys & purse, and fall on the bed. Sometimes it would only take 10 to 15 minutes and I'd be able to get up and start unwinding, other times it would take hours, this is one of the reasons why I took a leave of absence, I just couldn't do it anymore. I would get out of bed in the morning and feel so drained there was just no way I was able to get dressed & go to work. People who don't understand this would probably called it laziness, but I have never been a lazy person, I use to work 50 to 60 hours a week and was still full of energy. I think I've had FM for years, but wasn't officially diagnosed until around 1997 or 98. In 1996 my daughter was diagnosed with acute leukemia. From March until October or November of that year she was so sick, we never knew if she was going to live or not. I stayed with her at the hospital the entire time and took care of her when she came home. After December she started doing better and I returned to my job, it was shortly after that when the Fibromyalgia became more persistent and also there were other things going on, exposure to molds at my job, but yes I'm sure stress plays a big role in how we feel.

Darlene

Old 02-24-2002, 03:51 PM   #6

cadwellm HB User
I experience the same thing.

How it was explained to me was that during a stressful time your body reacts in a certain way so you can get through the stressful time. When the stressful time is done with, and you can "let go", your body overdoes the "let go".

I guess it's common with firemen and policemen who have a lot of stress in their daily lives.

-Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; for he is faithful that promised. (Hebrews 10:23)

-The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

-No one can go back and make a brand new start. But anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Old 02-24-2002, 03:58 PM   #7
Inactive

LHowells HB User
Talking

Kim,
All I can say to you after that heart wrenching story is. <come here> ((((((((((Kim))))))))))
Hang tough

[This message has been edited by LHowells (edited 02-24-2002).]

Old 02-24-2002, 04:04 PM   #8
Inactive

LHowells HB User
cadwellm,
Thank you My doctor (former doctor, I should say) Had me thinking I was losing it. He wanted to send me to a shrink. By the way, I had tons of symptoms and asked him to be a detective and put a diagnosis to all the symptoms. This is the same doctor that diagnosed me with FMS and failed to tell me I had it. So I am semi-relieved that now I know after all these 12 years, what it is I have and that I am not going crazy. :P to the doctor LOL
Take care and thanks,
Kim

Old 02-28-2002, 11:45 PM   #9

Lyndal Stuhr HB User
Question

I have been looking into FMS at the insistance of my Foot Dr. It has been 8 mos. since my surgery on both feet. and I am too slow to recover from it. I still have pain. in fact, I have pain almost everywhere.
The "stress related shut-down" you explain is something similiar to what I feel at times (arguing,tension,etc) I feel as though I am shaking all over, but am only shaking on the INSIDE. When it subsides I feel drained and depressed. I live in a stressful environment when my husband is home. For the last few months he has been gone during the week, working. And I don't seem to have that problem. I guess I need to learn to take a deep breath and get hold of myself, when it happens. I went to see my Internal Medicine Dr. about the FMS and he put me on Amitriptyine 10mg. at bedtime and Ulram for pain. I don't think the Ultram is helping. The Amit. is making me too sleepy and I still have trouble with waking up many times during the night. (i.e. not getting into the deep sleep mode) I have had trouble sleeping for years but I have had more pain since the foot surgery. Do you think the STRESS may be related to or excellerated by the recent surgery? It was very difficult having both feet operated on at the same time.
What can you tell me about the meds. I am taking? Have you experienced the "shaking" feeling, too?
Thank you all for any help you can offer. It IS good to know I am not alone in this.
Lyndal

Old 03-01-2002, 07:11 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Lyndal...scroll down to the subject 'Elavil' posted by dawn2. Elavil and Amitriptyline are the same thing. And for your experience on Ultram...go to page 2 of this subject scroll down to the posting of Brandonsmom on 'How many here take Ultram'. Those should give you the ans to your questions. Additionally, just take the time to read all of what is written over the past 3 pages and you will then have a very good idea about what to expect with Fibro.

Old 03-01-2002, 07:46 PM   #11
(female)

la_brat HB User
Our youngest daughter has FMS. She gets the inside temors that sometimes show on the outside by hand temors. This is one of her major FMS symptoms. She has taken Ultram with no success. Did absolutely nothing. She has also taken Amitriptyline. It made her sleepy all day and made her sleepy at night also but did not change her sleeping pattern or depth. We haven't as yet found anything that has helped.

Old 03-01-2002, 08:37 PM   #12
Inactive

darlene HB User
Lyndal - I also get the feeling of "shaking" inside. You can't see it but I feel like I'm quivering, does that sound the same to you? I also have taken Elavil and Ultram, neither worked for me. When I was taking the Elavil I was still working and I would fall asleep at my desk or sitting at a red light on my way home for lunch so I could take a nap. But, at night I was wide awake. Since then they have tried Paxil, Sonata and Restoril for me for sleeping, nothing has helped so far. I think they helped for maybe the first week and then it's like I build an intolerance to the drug. I take a sleeping pill, and am still awake 5 or 6 hours later. Some nights I don't fall asleep until it starts turning daylight. I also have a very stressful homelife and I know that I physically react to my environment. One other reason that it is so hard to not be able to work because I do not like being dependent on anyone else for my financial needs, husband or not.

Darlene

Old 03-07-2002, 03:02 AM   #13

Lyndal Stuhr HB User
THANK YOU ALL for the many comments and suggestions. I have not had the time to do the tracking suggested, but I surely will soon.
I won't be seeing my M.D. for 2 months after being on these meds. He said it will take some time to see if they will help me. Does that sound familiar? I am wondering if I should tell him I am Still not sleeping much. As you may notice by the times of my posts, I am sleeping LESS at night and not much in the early morning either. Sure would be nice to get a good, long, sleep. I think I got a better sleep when I used to take one Benedryl at bedtime. But the M.D. advised against that for me, says among other things, something about it causing the mucus to get thick and not cough up. I have always had a post nasal drip (allergy symptoms).
I am most greatful for your advise. T H A N K Y O U! lYNDAL

Old 03-07-2002, 10:12 PM   #14

Rose66 HB User
Hi Kim,

I know what your going through, I get it all the time unfortunately....my body reacts differently I start getting the shakes my whole body tremors, and I throw up and its bad. My doctor calls it severe anxiety attacks....I try to control it my talking to myself telling myself that I know what the problem is and that I'm going to be ok....My dr just put me on 100mg of zoloft and it seems to be working so far.

I get tired alot and I'm always lying down....I feel like I have no life. I hope you get better.

Rose

Old 03-19-2002, 02:13 PM   #15
Inactive

LHowells HB User
Lightbulb

I'm bumping this one up one ^

Closed Thread