It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2002, 04:27 PM   #1

Dawnsmist HB User
Cool Should people with fibro get a flu shot?

Winter and the flu season is near and I wonder if it is recommended that FMS people should risk the flu shot. Which is worse, getting the flu or getting sick from the flu vaccination? I never have taken it and I wonder about the consequences. I have been in a flare up and don't want more aches and pains right now. Thanks for any suggestions. Seems like I am at the site a lot....Dawnsmist

Old 10-19-2002, 05:45 PM   #2

mfry32 HB User
Good question. I would like to know also.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2002, 10:11 AM   #3
(female)

la_brat HB User
Don't know for sure, but the doctors our two FMS kids have have them keep up with all immunizations. Some years they have received flu shots and some not. They seemed none the worse either way. That has been this family's experience, but with FMS everyone reacts differently.
I personally do not take flu shots. Years ago I took them two years in a row and had mild flu symptoms for over 3 months following the shot. I decided I would rather be really sick for two or three weeks than yucky for 12 weeks.

[This message has been edited by la_brat (edited 10-20-2002).]

Old 10-20-2002, 11:27 AM   #4

Dawnsmist HB User
Thanks for the replys. Since I have never had a flu shot and had only one bad case of Asian Flu I think I will take my chances. Research is checking on a theory that FMS may be viral I don't want to add another that my body would have to fight off for who knows how long. My doctor said that people with FMS that do get the flu will have symptoms three times worse than people who are fibro-free. I guess it is up to us to make our own decision about that. I think if I was perhaps 70 or 80 years old I might get a current flu shot. If anyone has had any experience with FMS and the flu or reactions to flu shots we would like to hear from you. Thanks everyone. Dawnsmist

Old 10-22-2002, 11:53 AM   #5
(male)

brend HB Userbrend HB User
Thumbs up

Yes I got a flu shot three weeks ago. Had a few days of sore throat and sore glands, but got over it. I am new to all this fibro and my doc recommended the flu shot as he said that if i was in contact with flu I would go through hell. This way its only ongoing purgatory.

Old 10-23-2002, 02:11 AM   #6

4eversick HB User
Thumbs up

Definitely yes! About 5 years ago I came down with the flu and it took me approx. 4 and half months to feel okay again. I thought that winter, that I was an goner for I was so sick. It was really an bad outbreak here where I live and there were deaths from it for chronically ill people, older and young. Hospital was filled in emerg with hundreds daily for over an month. My husband's uncle died from complications of the flu and the fact that he was an chrinically ill man.

Nothing I took helped me to get better and I had too let it run it's course. Gosh, I was sooo sick and now I get my flu shot every year now. My doctor at that time insisted I get it every year because I had fibromyalgia and was chronically ill. Have another doctor now and I still get my flu shot each year. Since I have been taking them I haven't had the flu since - I should knock on wood...

4eversick

------------------

Old 11-21-2002, 06:45 PM   #7
(female)

avia HB User
I have been having neurological since three weeks after my fly shot Nov. 2001. I have had numbness, burning, buzzing, tingling, humming, stinging and tingling in arms, legs hands and feet ever since. No diagnosis as yet buy my doctors say the flu shot MAY have caused it. I would have rather had the flu several times over than the misery I am now having. I will never put that junk in my body again - do you know they contain mercury?

Old 11-21-2002, 06:46 PM   #8
(female)

avia HB User
Sorry folks HA! I did not get a fly shot - it was a FLU shot!!

Old 11-21-2002, 07:05 PM   #9

kim simone HB User
Hi Avia!

I got mine last November too, and since Jan/Feb have had one thing or another going on with my body! I did get the notion there may be a connection. Now I have all this twitching and spasming going on. Who knows. But just in case, I won't be getting another shot!

Hope you find the answers your looking for!

Kim

Old 11-21-2002, 09:54 PM   #10

Esoteric HB User
I would say definitely NO!

It could very well be that innoculations are the cause of Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue in the first place.

I have read a few books on innoculations and I wish I had not had so many. I have had a flu shot every year since I was a child. I quit a few years ago after reading about the dangers of innoculations and the stress it puts on your body. It also creates mutations that are sometimes more dangerous than the little bug we are trying to prevent.
It is believed that some children have autism because of their innoculations.
I will list some books I have read. I'm sure you can order them through your library. Our library orders books like this from other libraries for free.

"What Every Parent Should Know About Childhood Immunization" by Jamie Murphy

"Vaccines:Are They Really Safe and Effective?" by Neil Z. Miller

"Immunization Theory vs. Reality Expose' on Vaccinations" by Neil Z Miller.

You owe it to yourself to research the subject, take a look at your life and make an educated decision.

Old 11-22-2002, 10:06 AM   #11

Dawnsmist HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for the replies. I agree that since each person reacts differently when we have fibromyalgia, that we can only go by our own experiences in making decisions. The list of books was great too. I still have not gotten my flu shot. I pray that none of us get the flu! I had an allergic reaction to Bactrim last year. I became dehydrated from vomiting. I was hospitalized for 2 days. The pain, (total body pain) was so severe that I was given demerol IV about every 1/2 hour for the first 8 hours as well as IV fluids. I hope noone else has to go through that! Praying for us all. Dawnsmist

Closed Thread