It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2002, 07:48 AM   #1
(female)

Kat734 HB User
Post Abdominal pain & bloating

PLEASE! If you have any info connecting abdominal pain and bloating to fibromyalgia or costocondritis, please share it here.
I'm asking because I have been suffering from abdominal pain (just below the ribs) for going on 2 months and cannot find an answer as to "why". I have been told my amylase level was elevate (130) and then sent for a CT scan and HIDA scan...both were normal. In the spring, I had an endoscopy and pH monitor...both normal.
I feel that the pain really started or became worse after experiencing a bout of what my GP "agreed" could be costrochondritis...terrible pain and tenderness between the ribs and sternum...sometimes also in my back. This lasted for approx. 6-8 weeks (the chest pain) and then the upper abdominal pain intensified. The anxiety of not knowing what is happening to me makes it worse...now I'm also probably depressed, and cry a lot lately.
For what it's worth, I also am going to a GYN next week, because I suspect I am in menopause. Could hormones have ANYTHING to do with all of this?
Help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2002, 09:14 AM   #2
Inactive

tolern HB User

[This message has been edited by tolern (edited 08-23-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2002, 05:24 PM   #3
Inactive

batman777 HB User
I believe that hormones play a big role in autoimmune/immune disorders (do an user name search for my previous posts). PMS can cause symptoms that mimic other diseases including MS. Try using transdermal Progesterone and see if it helps. You can get it at any vitamin store.

Old 11-23-2002, 05:34 PM   #4
Inactive

batman777 HB User
P.S- Please keep us posted on your progress and results!

Old 11-23-2002, 06:35 PM   #5

Chinnie_Girl HB User
I have IBS and I have the same problem as you. It feels terrible but maybe get some tests to rule out other possibilities. IBS is something like they diagnose Fibro with, they rule out everything else. I was diagnosed with IBS before fibro so it's defenitly a possibility it's IBS or even colitis.

------------------
Courtney

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 11-23-2002).]

Old 11-23-2002, 10:05 PM   #6

Esoteric HB User
when I had problems with breathing--couldn't get a deep breath--my Dr sent me to physical therapy for massage. I used heat at home and massage 3X a week for a couple of weeks. He worked the soft areas of my abdomen and where the muscles/ligaments attach to the ribs and inbetween the ribs and also the same area on the back. It made a world of difference and I could breath deeply again. The tightness had also affected my bowel movements and urination and stomach. sometimes I think massage is so easy and the pain so severe, we feel like we surely must be dying of something. but then after a few massage appointments, the pain is down, breathing normalized, urination not hyper anymore, etc and I realize the value of having all of those muscles worked on.
I don't mean to minimize anyones pain and disability. But I do want to encourage massage before surgery or other invasive treatments or medications.
Usually at the Drs I present the symptom. He tells me what prescription I have to take for it. I request a chance at Physical therapy first, he says, sure, but it probably won't work. I leave with a PT prescription, and after 2 - 3 weeks all of my symptoms are gone, and I'm not stuck on a prescription for the next year.

Old 11-23-2002, 10:06 PM   #7

Esoteric HB User
P.S. when I eliminated all "fake" foods like chips, ice cream, and other junk foods, and lowered my carbohydrate intake my bloating ended.

Old 11-24-2002, 06:37 AM   #8
Inactive

tolern HB User
I had to get rid of the salt in my diet, which helped too.

Old 11-27-2002, 10:42 PM   #9

luana7 HB User
I have IBS and I have severe bloating, it doesn't seem to matter what I do. Some days I look like I am 8 months pregnant and other days I look like a normal size 10. The only thing that really works for me is physical exercise, I am unable to walk far but I ride a bike. On the really bad days I just wear big shirts. Just wanted you to know that after all the tests it could just be IBS.

Old 12-24-2002, 04:42 PM   #10

earlibrd HB User
I work in the GI field. GI problems can be related to many things, but as you all know IBS is a common complaint with Fibro. Have you all had Colonoscopy's to rule out other problems? If not you should. GI problems are not ones I experience thankfully, however I work with a doctor who swears that if you can control the GI sypmtoms the other pains of Fibro will lessen or go away. Whether or not that is true I can't tell you but it's worth looking into it.

Old 12-26-2002, 09:12 AM   #11

guaichy HB User
Smile

Yes, I have had blosting and abominal pain for years. If I sometimes cough, even lightly, it would sometimes hurt really bad. The same with sneezing, although the pain was short time most of times.

I also have recurring ovarian cysts for many years and know when they are getting bigger and need to watch and make sure the cysts don't get too large. Ultrasound will show this, but for the most part they drain and then I'm fine till the next one. The draining is very painfull but bearable and don't last too long. They wanted to remove my ovaries years ago due to this but I opted to hold on to them as long as I can. As I get older, they are farther apart and much fewer in amount.

You should have your doctor check this out and have test done.

Chy

Old 12-27-2002, 09:37 PM   #12

Bitsy HB User
HI Question?
I was diagnosed w/ Fibro after going to a rheumatologist for osteoporosis. I also have had bloating, lost alot of weight cause i get full fast. I also had a huge ovarian cyst that ruptured. Are you saying these are all related? I've been reading as much as possible on both, but never saw this. I go to the Dr 1-6 to hear all the gorey details. What else does this cause& what do I need to know about the future? Clueless (basically) in Chgo
Thanks

Old 12-27-2002, 10:38 PM   #13
Inactive

mookiemike HB User
Lightbulb

Bitsy: Frankly I have seen far too many posts like yours in the mere 3 months I've been on this site; just like yours, frenzied women who need to take a deep breath before they twist themselves into knots...take a deep clearing breath, exhale....now lets see whats wrong:

1. anything you've complained about for awhile and hasn't killed you...your allright!

2. Calm down!!!! HARD TO SORT OUT YOUR SPECIFIC COMPLAINTS WHEN YOU ARE WHIPPED INTO A FRENZY!!!
Then you needlessly pull others down with you

so...

1. get a pen

2. describe your complaints in chronologic order and frequencies of pain...does something you do or not do make it better or worse?

3. What drugs are you taking at what strength?

4. What is your history of stomach complaints BEFORE FM??

5. Put it all together AND Stay calm as freneticism gets you, and others caught in your maelstrom, crazy!

When you know yourself better we can be of more help.

Ultimately as Roosevelt said best, "You have nothing to fear but fear itself".

This board can help in many ways but we can't shortcut answers for you. Get the tests to rule out pathology and if it is truly FM in origin all your tests will be normal and then you can start with handling your dx....please forgive me , but you are early in your understanding and comprehension of the problem.

You found this site where help is possible , but not where we have to do your work for you as our energies are finite....

Read every web site you can on FM and then FM linked to your complaints...see a doctor armed with this info and you are on your way....report back after..

[This message has been edited by mookiemike (edited 12-28-2002).]

Old 12-28-2002, 10:49 PM   #14

Bitsy HB User
Mokie
I have been diagnosed FM by a great rheumatologist in Chgo, Osteopososis & afer the blood work, a homosystein level 3 times over normal levels, Plus a liver enzyme really high. All this in 5 weeks. I am scared. I was told i could drop dead from the high homocystein levels & to take a baby aspirin til he sees me. Then he will put me on meds for all. I have done lots of research everyday& every ting I read applies to my symptoms. Sorry, but i came her to understand what to expect. I only take Tylenol& Fioricet for severe headahes. Altho scared, i try to handle all this well,and juse want to be able to make an educated decision.The meds i read about are frightning & I even have problems w. calcium, pain& naueas& sever contiption. All I am asking here is what you all take& what to expect. Sorry for seeming like a hypochondriac as I am not. I was in a bad car accident 10 yrs ago, in severe pain & I think i cope well. I just need help understanding this all . Sorry to bother you

Old 12-29-2002, 01:30 PM   #15

Bitsy HB User
Mookie,
BTW, all other blood tests came back normal for autoimmune problems. Atho a shock to hear I had FM, to me it was just putting a name to something i already had for ten yrs.> PAIN.... I guess what scares me at times is if this gets worse& reading about all the meds. After the car accident ,I was put on so many I hated not being in control,as they made me feel flakey.So, I did it alone, without meds & mainly w/ a chiro& DO, including acupuncture.They help to get me to the point I can deal w/ the pain, although it never goes away. It's just not as severe.Searching the web on the things I was just diagnosed with, I found all of you & was amazed at the ' connections '. You people are all the support I have. My husband is in total denial & seems uninterested. My kids (twins 23& my oldest 26) all try to help out alot, but I really have no one to talk to. My Dr was named in the ' Best Doctors ' magazine for 1999,2000,2001, but doesn't seem to really have alot of info...or maybe the time to tell me. Heck, maybe it was he wanted to wait til after the blood tests. I went there for osteoporosis & was hit w/ FM & no info on osteo.Although this is alot to handle, I do well. I have the ability to void my mind w/ the diagnosis' , although when I see something I have been experiencing, I am the type that 'has to know'. LOL
I have to admit that at times I do break down wondering what's next.
Thx for your great posts& info.I wish the best for all of you.
Bev

Closed Thread