It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
(female)

sufferann HB User
Anyone living alone with Fibro?

Just wondering if there are any of you out there, like me...dealing with this all alone. Most threads I read people talk about their husbands and family. It is hard enough having FM/MPS and then having no one to help or talk to that cares or understands!! I've had this for 12 yrs. now and they say it's not progressive.......HA and double HA!!! Each year gets worse & worse.
I'm just fed up with being bed bound 24/7!! People talk about flares....I don't get that??? I am ALWAYS in alot of pain every minute, every day!!!
Thanks for letting me vent!!

Old 09-22-2007, 03:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Re: Anyone living alone with Fibro?

Hi, I know this may sound negative but alot of us who have families and husbands still suffer alone! In my experience anyway, people just don't get this, especially my husband. If it weren't for my son I think I would rather live alone so as not to have to see him rolling his eyes whenever I can't do something. There are people here who have great understanding families and that's great for them however, I do believe that most people don't really believe how bad this is unless they have it. As for the progressive part? I'm with you-I sure have gotten alot worse since diagnosis. Sorry for sounding so negative. Do you take any meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
(female)

iwannabenormal HB User

Hi
I haven't been on here for quite some time.
Sufferann, I'm sorry you have no one around you but as long as you have the people on here your not alone and we all understand and care about you.

Kdel, I feel like you do sometimes. My husband tries to help out but I don't think my sons get it at all. I know it is hard for young healthy people to understand what they don't know about.

I'm with you on the progressive thing. I have been going down hill for the past couple of years and there seems to be no end in sight and no help. Every once in a while I will have a better day and I always do too much and go right back where I was.

I long for the old me that was always doing something and kept up on everything.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi ann,
each of us does our thing alone. in the end of it all we are alone when we choose to take our meds, go to the doc, clean the darn house, giggle.
i did 10 years with fibro and a partner. not worth it. now i am alone in that i do not have a child living close or a partner. my brother and i share a home. however, i do my health alone. i take care of me.
the only way i was able to get out of my bed, out of my wheelchair, was to force myself to go to physical therapy and start the process of getting strong again. it has taken years. each stroke i have stops me and i start all over again. i will not go back to that chair on wheels. being helpless, well i can't say that word here, but it ain't a fun feeling. so i started getting the help i wanted so i would be strong and sick not helpless and sick. ya know?
got myself a grand head shrinker too. with his assistance i lept forward, one tiny hop at a time. giggle. 9 years later i graduated.
a vital bit that i learned in therapy was that no one, i mean no one, is going to take care of me except me. this does not make me sad or angry or feel alone. it make me feel powerful, strong and in charge of my life.
sure i am in pain every day. have been for so many years now it is a way of life. i just adjust to fit the pain into the days plans. i am in charge of my mind, not fibro. i decide if i am happy. and i am. no matter what health issue comes my way i still will choose to be happy. it is pointless to let the pain win. so i won't. pain can be a powerful motivator. for me it is.
you are not alone. you have yourself. the best friend one can have is a good self. be strong. you can do this.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps i will confess i do have a housekeeper normally. she has not come in 2 months and i am going to have to get that broom and do it myself. my curiosity asks, how will we feel later? i answer, beat up, dragged out, and smiling at our clean house. curiosity says, boring!!! giggle. ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I agree that fibro is progressive. I am worse now than I was in previous years. I am one of the lucky ones that has a great support system from family and friends, but I agree with blue this illness is mine and I do it alone. In other words no one else can know the fatigue and pain I feel on any given day. Just as I don't know what that person may be feeling. I get up every morning and do what I have to and what I can't do or don't want to do just has to wait. I do force myself to do too much sometimes and yes I pay for it but that's the way it goes now and always will I guess.

Don't think you are alone we are here for you, we understand and any time you need to vent....well help yourself, we are good listeners.

Glojer

Old 09-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

I disagree that fibromyalgia is progressive. It doesn't have to be. There are so many treatments available. I had acute chronic myofascial syndrome also and i am virtually pain free. Please please get the book "fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain, a survival manual" by devin starlanyl. Let me know if you have read it. I would love to discuss it with you. She also discusses how to live with these syndromes when you are single. On how to have a support system. Your post really truly touched me. I was so so so sick 3 years ago. I was hopeless and depressed and in so much pain i couldn't get out of bed.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

donna

Old 09-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
(male)

linkin01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufferann View Post
Just wondering if there are any of you out there, like me...dealing with this all alone. Most threads I read people talk about their husbands and family. It is hard enough having FM/MPS and then having no one to help or talk to that cares or understands!! I've had this for 12 yrs. now and they say it's not progressive.......HA and double HA!!! Each year gets worse & worse.
I'm just fed up with being bed bound 24/7!! People talk about flares....I don't get that??? I am ALWAYS in alot of pain every minute, every day!!!
Thanks for letting me vent!!
I live alone with fibro. Mine isn't so bad that I can't work, but I'm not a very productive employee and my rank at work is very low, so I don't get many raises and I'm in danger of being laid off. Anyway, I know how you feel, having no one to help.

Mike

Closed Thread