It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2003, 04:16 PM   #1

evelina_2003 HB User
Post Lumps under skin at tender areas

Hello Everyone! *smile*

I've always tried some form of acupressure or myotherapy massage - for my girls, and for myself with this fibro. I've taught my boyfriend how to use it on me.

Well, it seemed he noticed that on the areas/pressure points that hurt, like along the sides of thigh, for one example, and in other areas like my arms, shoulders, neck, when the pain flares up, he can feel lumps under my skin.

Basically he has associated the lumps under my skin with my painful areas. The harder/larger the lump, the more pain he found I had in that area. So, I started paying attention and sure enough, whole areas along the sides of my thigh are lumpy, (I'll often message the pain away there, till I bruise myself without noticing, and end up with dozens of little finger tip brusies). It's not the kind of lumpiness from "dimpled skin" (I can't think of the word right now, not feeling too good, and my mind feels like it's in a fog on bad days, such as today.), that many women have on the thighs. But, hard lumps.

My boyfriend notices that the lumps on my shouders/neck/arms reduce in size and go away when I'm not complaining about pain.

I'm just wondering - has anyone else noticed such small hard lumps under the skin? Not hard as rocks, but just hard tissue lumps, pea size usually. And not lumps from swollen glands of any sort.

The sides of my thighs have produced so much pain in me for so many years - about 26 years or so, I'm guessing. But, only when touched. When the doctor decided to test me for fibro, (I didn't know what he was doing), he was pressing on some of my pressure points that hurt. When he tried that on my thighs, well, *sweet smile* let's just say, it's a wonder he doesn't have bruises on his wrists,arms. Since I immediately raised my hands and and hit his arms with the sides of my forearms in an outward sweeping motion with my arms to get his hands away from my painful thighs! It was an over reaction, but the pain was so bad, no one touches me there, ever! Reflexive action. Oh well. Never had anyone try that on me before.

So, the sides of my thighs have always seemed quite lumpy to me, just under the skin. I had always thought this was normal for most women, thought it was that problem most women have with dimpled thighs. But, till he mentioned the lumps when he messages my points of greatest pain - (trigger points), well, it's got me thinking.....

Anyone else notice lumps?

Seems like the diagnosis of fibromyalgia just means "I can't figure out what's wrong, so lets just give it a name, and attribute all ill health and strange symptoms to it." I found out recently it includes stomach ailments, which I've always had! I haven't read anywhere about lumps under the skin on painful areas or where the flare ups are occuring.

Evelina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2003, 07:28 PM   #2

Soleil11 HB User
I believe the tissue goes hard and fibrous, therefore hardened lumps. Massage therapy helps to break down those lumps. I get hard, fibrous lumps of tissue all over the place!

Old 04-17-2003, 10:56 AM   #3

MistyMisty HB User
My 2 cents here...the dimples I think is cellulite, comes with getting older, sigh and lack of good exercise, more sighs! I also have had lumps and bumps and swollen areas in thigh joints, neck, shoulders, and back, painful to the touch. I also have some muscles on right side of neck that have calcified, due to neck injuries and it feels like a rock there. Now forarm muscles have a chronic tightness. I think the phosphates in our cells do not dissapate normally with fibro--and it builds up in the cells and tissues causing the lumps, bumps and pain. I have read that long term use of guaifenesin has helped a lot of people but it is very hard to keep on the program, due to restricting so many kinds of shampoos, skin lotions etc. that have certain plant ingredients and you cannot take aspirin with it because of salislates (spelling?). It is not uncommon to have these added symptoms with fibro--ugh. I stay away from food with nitrates, MSG, imitation sugars like asparatine, etc. and yellow colored processed cheese. This helps to keep the tissue swelling in my fingers down and helps with that chronic fatigue. The present thing I am on is low dose naltrexone and that has helped the most with many symptoms especially pain and fatigue. Misty Misty.

Old 04-17-2003, 02:07 PM   #4

evelina_2003 HB User
Thanks all! *big smile*

I'll keep up the message, I've always done that for years on myself without thinking about it.

When I decided to enter the Students with Disability program at the local college the doc gave me a piece of paper, there he mentioned I had myofascial pain, I think he called it Chronic. I don't recall. But, that was BEFORE I was diagnosed with Fibro. I asked him what that word meant, and he said pain. Well, I've just learned something new! Thanks. I had no idea there was a syndrome of it! Yikes!

I'm going to go research on this, as I have never looked into it before.

And yep, the word was cellulite that I was looking for! (Amazing how being in a brain fog can affect one's recall of words! *giggle*) I've had it since I was 16, and having a low body fat and the body of an athlete didn't stop that from happening to me in my 30's. (Yep, I was in better shape then than at any other time...)

Hmmm, two more things to stay away from! I hate MSG, I use sugar instead - works just as well. I stay away from Equal and have reduced my pain level. I'll work on the nitrates, (practically nil in my diet).

As for the yellow processed cheese - is that an artifical coloring? I hate that kind of cheese, but I do use velveta at times for Mac and Cheese, and I do eat sharp cheeses, all are yellow. Do they have this yellow coloring in them too? What is it called so I can look in the list of ingredients? I would love to reduce swelling in my hands - which can happen if I'm taking a walk, or just whenever. I even get swollen legs from time to time, and diretics, raising my legs, do NOT help relieve that swelling! Seems to happen the worst when I'm at my computer too long, and exercising doesn't make it go away either.

I'll look into the guaifenesin too, (more 'net research!) And into the CMS too...I'm feeling more hopeful by the minute after finding this board!

Thanks all for being there!

Evelina

Old 04-18-2003, 12:57 AM   #5

Soleil11 HB User
I agree, this board and some of the posts are so helpful. I too, would like to know about the cheese, the yellow. Is that cheddar? I didn't know about yellow cheese causing hand swelling. Mine swell badly enough, numb, and then I shut my forefinger in car door a wk. ago and it added to the hands thing. Soleil

Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #6
(female)

jenwren1 HB User
Re: Lumps under skin at tender areas

Well I see this is years later... but please look up Dercums disease. I too have this very thing. I have never been diagnosed but it fits. (unfortunately) I also see that it is mentioned in Fibromyalgia. What you describe are exactly my symptoms. On the outer thighs and upper arms, now hips. No one can touch me there.

Closed Thread