It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 02:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
Post Medication for chronic tight muscle pain

Hi, I have had back pain chronic for 7 years. Just had mri and my back is degenerating no one knows why. My pain, comes from really tight muscles. I have been prescribed anti-inflams but they dont work. Is there a drug that can relax muscles? I havent been tested for FM but a few doctors have suggested it as they have no idea why I am the way I am. Anything that ever shows on xrays, mri, ultrasound etc they say isnt causing the muscle tightness. Any ideas. By the way I have tried physio, chiros. osteopaths, back surgeons, massage therapy, accupuncture. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 02:44 PM   #2

MistyMisty HB User
Hi, Flexeril works but you get very sleepy on it. It is good to take at night. You have degenerative disc disease. (DDD) The discs are "dissolving" and leaving you with bone on bone, very very painful. I know how that feels. I have lost 1/2 inch in the past five years due to that. You might have spurs too that a CAT Scan would show them. They dig into the muscles and cause spasms as well.
Anti-inflammatories don't help that much and can cause irritation to the stomach and intestinal linings. I took them for several years and ended up with a bleeding stomach. So you might want to try Soma, Norflex, or Flexeril. Norflex is the one that gives me the least sleepyness and I can take it during the day and still function. Hope this helps. I am sorry to hear you have these back problems, it sounds a lot like mine! MistyMisty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2003, 08:18 PM   #3
Inactive

AliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB UserAliceBlueBelle HB User

A year or so ago I was looking to relax the muscles also. I had a pinched nerve. The surgeon would only prescribe the anitinflam, skelaxin, and PT which was involved heat, and other things. The exercise was a very mild stretching as I could tolerate, which was't much. I had decided that if I was going to fall apart, maybe there was something I could do for the rest of my body. My sweet dog Sandy and I made a great pair, hardly able to move around. One day at Walmart I bought her doggie glucosamine. The results were amazing!! I decided that if it worked for her, I would give the people kind a try, the future thing I was thinking. The amazing part for me was that my shoulder muscles would relax when I took it and tighten back up when I missed. I use the glucosamine, chondroitin with MSM. If this could help even one other person it is worth the effort to share. The past few months I barely notice a problem, something I never thought could happen.

-Alice

Old 08-17-2003, 06:35 AM   #4
Inactive

tzty HB User
Cool

Cinderella,

Ask your doctor for Trazadone. You take it at nite and get a good nites sleep and it relaxes the muscles. I have used it for years. I can manage 2 days without but the pain starts again. I do my best to stay active, and to eat right and get plenty of sleep, not always successful, but it does help. I started on 25 mg a day and am now up to 75 mg. Doctor wants me on 100 mg but since the 75 works I am not ready to up the dosage just yet. It helps you sleep as well and workds wonders. joyshow

Closed Thread