It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Post electrical shock like feeling

Ok this is really really weird. For weeks now, I have been under alot of physical and mental stress. Just stuff that needs to be done and alot of things going on with parents health problems, etc.

Well two days ago, I started feeling little tiny shocks going thru my entire body, far in between at first and not too bad. Slowly it has increased in frequency and intensity of the shocks. It makes me feel so very weird. Does anyone KNOW what this is and has anyone FELT these things before or am i just TOTALLY losing it??? If you told me I was totally losing it, id probably believe you cause this feels sooo weird.
Jen

Old 08-15-2003, 04:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

JAYB HB User
I've never felt anything like that, but I've read that SSRI withdrawal can cause shock like sensations.
It could be from the stress. Stress can do the most awful and unexplainable things to our bodies.
Call your doctor just to ease your mind. Hope you're feeling better Jen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 05:23 AM   #3

PinkSapphire HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Jenetti:
Ok this is really really weird. For weeks now, I have been under alot of physical and mental stress. Just stuff that needs to be done and alot of things going on with parents health problems, etc.

Well two days ago, I started feeling little tiny shocks going thru my entire body, far in between at first and not too bad. Slowly it has increased in frequency and intensity of the shocks. It makes me feel so very weird. Does anyone KNOW what this is and has anyone FELT these things before or am i just TOTALLY losing it??? If you told me I was totally losing it, id probably believe you cause this feels sooo weird.
Jen
I have shock like feelings especially when I first wake up and stand up and begin walking. Some days it makes me feel so bad that I go back to sleep a litte while and it goes away. I have felt at times that it might be the Neurontin medication that I take.

Old 08-15-2003, 08:22 AM   #4

Chelledon HB User
I have those shock feelings in my right hand when I move it a certain way. It doesn't hurt it just feels weird. Back in April I dropped a full jar of salsa on my right foot. My second toe swelled up right away and became bruised. After a couple of weeks it went away but, now I can rub the top of my right foot and feel the some shock feeling in that toe. I have never felt it through my entire body.

Old 08-15-2003, 08:46 AM   #5

corin HB User
I do not think you are losing anything , I also have "electrical shocks" that affect different places of my body. Usually the limbs. Sometimes it is accompanied by jerking or twitching. Like a literal jolt of who knows what? Anyway, I have no answers for you, except to say you are not alone in the experience. I once had a severe "zap" in my head when a chiropractor "adjusted" my neck, so I believe it to be nerve related.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:53 AM   #6
(female)

painsucks HB User
There was actually another post about this recently, but I can't find it (fibro fog), maybe it was on the Multiple Sclerosis link, I post and read a lot on that topic too because I was originally told that I had MS, then it was changed to FMS, I'm not ruling out MS even though it has been almost 10 years since I was diagnosed with FMS. Anyway, I know exactly what you're talking about and I hate it! I have the electric shock feeling and it literally feels like a jolt of electricity being sent from my brain through my entire body. It feels like I think a power surge must feel to a computer, if a computer had feelings that is. I've explained it to my doctor many times, he doesn't seem to have any explainations. I just know it is the absolute worst of all my symptoms, the pain, the muscle weakness, the brain fog, blah blah blah, are bad, but feeling like you're being shocked is so unnerving. I hope you can get some help. Please let me know if a doctor comes up with any explanation for you.

Old 08-16-2003, 06:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Hey Jay,
Guess what????? YOURE RIGHT!!, thats what it was, at least thats what i think it was. Have been thru soooooo very much mental and physical stress that I totally forgot to take the fluoxetine (one of like 10 pills i take per morning of meds). With my parents health problems, waiting for my hubbys MRI result to find out if he has a tumor in his head, and last but ohhh not least, my sister in law and neice having been in a terrible car accident. Broken collarbones , hip bones, pelvic bones, and numerous cuts and bruises for neice, and sis in law has a concussion. I ended up with a flareup and totally just forgot those pills. Started taking them back up again, and the shocks, started slowly going away, havent completely gone, but much less severe and intensity. Ohhh soo glad thats all it was, i do have to say they are awful tho just awful!!!!,,, thanks Jay, and EVERYONE else that answered and gave suggestions.
Love and hugs to all,
Jen

Old 08-18-2003, 05:53 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

JAYB HB User
Cool

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Hope everything goes well for your hubby and the rest of your family. It sounds like you've been hit with a lot of things all at once. I've been there and that's when my symptoms are at their worst. Take care.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:28 AM   #9

Lisette HB User
I was diagnosed with FMS 17 years ago...it wasn't even officially named at the time....Prior to the diagnosis, I had "lightening" shocks in various places all over. I described them as "electrical". They were worst in my face.I still have them very occasionally, but they SEEMED to be one of my major pre-cursors of the full blown illness.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Hmmm you know Lisette,

I thought it was the meds I had not taken and the shocks were maybe withdrawals. I started the meds back up and they seem to have settled down somewhat, but ive been taking them regularly without missing for a few days and today, started feeling shocks again.
So I'm going to have to ask my doc at my next appt.
Jen

Old 08-25-2003, 06:26 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

JAYB HB User
Jen, How's your husband?
My dad had a tumor removed a few years ago. The doctors were convinced it was cancer and we sweated out a week only to find out it was benign.

Old 08-25-2003, 09:29 AM   #12

kathym43 HB User
2 years ago, I had electrical shocks in my arms. Very painful, as I could not sleep because the pain was worse when I went to bed. I have them in both arms, numbness in both hands. I also have a pain in the butt(literally) and numbness in left foot. If I move my arms a certain way, I get mild electrical shocks. It has gotten to the point where I hate to go to bed.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Hey Jay,

Thanks for asking hon, well after an MRI, they got those results, then said they needed to run further tests. Well, I felt like i was holding my breath the entire time. FINALLY got the results back and thank GOD, there is no tumor. THey did tell him tho his blood pressure had gone sky high, go figure, the stress maybe??? duh, doctors!! Whatever was making his head hurt and his vision messing up has since cleared and he has to go back in a few weeks to get checked again, but as of right now, NO TUMOR. So sorry to hear about your dad, bet that was pretty nerve wrecking.
Is he ok now??

OH, been thinking about your mom hon, how is she doing ? DId she finally give up on the fosomax?? How are YOU feeling??

Take care hon,
Jen

Old 08-25-2003, 12:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenetti HB User
Kathy,
Hi, sorry to hear youre having the electrical shocks as well. They feel awful. I think mine were due to not having taken a certain med cause I had just plain forgotten cause of so many other things going on. Theyre still not completely gone, do feel them once in a while, but not as severely or as frequent as they were that week. Hope you feel better soon hon.
Jen

Old 08-25-2003, 03:48 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

JAYB HB User
Thumbs up

That's good news he has no tumor.
It's very scary hearing "possibility of tumor". My father's doing okay now, although he has other health issues that I could write a book about. Waiting for the results was a nightmare. You want to think the best but you can't help thinking the worst. I wish they could give you the test results sooner. Easier said than done! But hearing the words "no cancer" was the best!!
Mom's doing better now. She's just going to go back to taking tons of calcium again.
As for me, I'm finally coming out of a month's long fog. It's been really weird the way it's just slowly clearing, and I feel like I'm getting my mind back again. At least part of my mind! LOL
take care!!

Last edited by JAYB; 11-13-2003 at 05:03 AM.

Closed Thread