It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

weitz HB User
Numbness in feet, leg and hands.

I have had fibro and chronic fatigue for at least two years if not longer and that has been my working diagnosis. I regularly see my rheumatogist for med checks, cortisone shots, the will to go on...lol and an integrative medicine doc who does acupuncture and alpha stim to help with pain and she's trying to keep me from having surgery on my right elbow-2 cortisone shots, 6 weeks of physical therapy over about 8 months time my tennis elbow is only worse, pain sucks, can't even brush my hair with right hand.

That had been the norm until about three weeks ago I had numbness in my left big toe (felt like it was totally asleep) didn't think to much about, mentioned it to my dh and basically thought it was just another weird fibro thing. On the third day the numbness had spread to both feet and on the left leg numbness was up to just above the knee and both of my hands felt a little weird too. Didn't really freak out until kids where off to school and then I started calling my docs, and I could not get in to see any of them that day and was told to either go to the emergency room or urgent care.

Went to urgent care, had neuro exam and was referred to a neurologist who then had me get an MRI last Friday of my brain, neck, and spine. MS was mentioned more than once. It has been about three weeks since all started and the numbness continues in parts of both feet, they are very sensitive to hot/cold and I have sharp pain in the areas that are numb. Probably won't find out MRI results until next week.

If anyone has experienced this or has some imput I would love to here from you.

P.S. I also have early stage osteoarthritis, PCOS, depression/anxiety, tendonitus.....basically just falling apart at the ripe old age of 34

Thanks again,
Susie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
(female)

Petra1979 HB User
Re: Numbness in feet, leg and hands.

The only experience I have with numbness is that my mother got numbness from her foot up to her knee when she had a herniated disc. Any back problems? Other than that, I really don't know, I wish I could shed more light on it for you. Good luck and let us know what happens with the tests.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User

Hi susie, Well i sure can relate to what you are describing here.
For years i have had the numbness, tingling, stabbing in both feet.
My MRI for MS was negative. i went to a foot doc had ultrasound on both feet ,which confirmed plantar fasciitis. Foot doc says the numbness,tingling,stabbing pain is not related to the plantar fasciitis but could be related to autoimmune disorder. i can't have the cortisone shots due to macular degeneration diagnosed age 46. My rheumy wants me to see a neurologist, which i will in time. Pain meds do not relieve my foot pain, pain never leaves my feet. I don't know how much of help i can be here other than your not alone. I wear very soft slippers and can never be barefoot. i've tried so many therapeutic creams, soak my feet epsom salt water. I've walked on my tip toes for so long i feel my feet are totally damaged. I also have muscle spasms in toes and feet, i take Flexeral for muscle spasms. My hands often go numb and tingle sensations. Guess i could go on and on here. I'm still searching for ways of comfort, nothing else has seemed to work for me. I'd be interested in hearing what you find out, i know exactly what you are going through, you are not alone.

BeHappy2

Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
(female)

weitz HB User

Petra,

I do have two bad discs in my low back-between L4 and L5 the disk is torn and disc below that (don't remember its name ) is bulged from a fall in 1999. I did have some numbness the first few years after it happened but the numbness would work its way down the leg not start at the feet and go up. I wish it was as simple as a disc but I seem to nothing but a big pain in the butt when it comes to getting diagnosed on anything or maybe its just the docs that are the pain in the butt because the give up and we don't.

Thanks for listening, hope all is well with you!!
Susie

Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
(female)

weitz HB User

BeHappy2,

I am following your lead...I got my MRI results back today and they are normal. I asked the neuro's nurse if he wanted to do a follow up appointment with me and she said no. I asked why, she said because my exam was inconclusive and the MRI was normal he had no reason to see me, I guess having numb feet and stabbing pains in them and being exceedingly clumbsy are completely normal. There are days I really want to lay on the floor and have a full blown tantrum like my kids did when they were younger-I know it won't solve anything but it might make me feel better even if it is only to laugh at my own silliness and frustration.

I asked the nurse about neuropathy and she thought that, that was a real possiblity but I should continue to see my rheum and have him follow up, gee I thought neuropathy fell under a neuro's treatment, what do I know anyway. It's not like I wanted MS, but after having test after test come back normal all the while you feel like the floor of a school bus but have to keep pressing on to get answers.

Do you have more pain and numbness after being on your feet more or taking a hot bath, because it goes crazy when I do those things. I feel your frustration, I hate not having answers and it seems like that is the last thing some doctors want to give you. What you said about pain meds not helping the sharp pain is something I am experiencing too. Are your feet cold or colder than the used to be? I have the hardest time keeping them above freezing but can't let them get too warm cause than symptoms get worse.

I truely pray that they figure out what is causing all of these things to happen to us and find a way to at least control the symptoms, I miss my old life and would love to have it back and wish I could give yours back too.

Best Wishes,
Susie

Old 10-16-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Smile Re: Numbness in feet, leg and hands.

Susie i wish i could have my old life back and you have yours back to but it's just impossible. Yes my feet get so cold, at night i wear thick loose socks, my feet just freeze at night. In the summer i find water gives my body relief at that moment BUT, Susie this is so strange, my FEET hurt even in the pool. I can't find any relief for my feet at all. My Rheumy is the one who said i've got to do water therapy for Fibro. My Rheumy is right, i don't know what i am going to do for the winter. Right now i can't afford a hot tub but i'm going to try my best to work with my insurance and prescription from Rheumy to get a hot tub. My ankles can get stiff as a nail, they feel like they are going to snap in half. I even had EMG study on my feet and that came back normal.
I give up with all the tests, i just have to somehow find some relief. Any suggestions you may find that helps i'd sure like to hear them. It's just no fun at all when we rely on our feet for everything. All is so frustrating.
Keep in touch

BeHappy2

Old 10-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
(female)

bikerbabe HB User

When I had the numbness and tingling the docs at Mayo said it could be from Migraines. That some people saw lights and threw up and some had the numbess.

At first it was thought I had MS too. I had 2 spinal taps that finally ruled it out. I'm a Fibro Lady!!!! Lucky us. At least more attention is being brought to the disease/syndrome. Mary

Closed Thread