It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
Re: which doctor prescribe vicodin for fibromyalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapedy View Post
A good internist will write Rx's for Vicodin. My dad did it all the time. It was when the patient required something stronger than Vicodin that we referred the patient to pain management.

Tramadol is a synthetic narcotic. It's not technically a narcotic, but it does work on the same pain receptors that narcotics use. I can't tolerate narcotics, and because of that I also can't take tramadol. The pain relief is not worth the side effects that come with it.
Drs' are so afraid of the DEA now that they don't want to get in trouble. I guess this goes for Pain Management Drs too! But if they don't want to prescribe them, what use is there for them? If they are so fearful we are drug addicts then I say pee test me everytime I come in.........I have nothing at all to hide! I would have no problem with that.

I agree about Dentists.........everytime I had a tooth pulled BAM there was the script.......thats when I found out that it not only helped my tooth pain but my Fibro!!!!!! Heck one of my Dentist even gave me 2 scripts for Vicodin after pulling two teeth! I find it mind blowing the differences in Drs.

Hope

Old 01-29-2008, 11:24 AM   #17
(female)

catspajamas HB User

When a pain doctor, or any other doctor for that matter doesn't have your file, its time to fire him and go to another doctor...that shows he isn't doing his job...
I don't like to see narcotics being used for fibromyalgia when there are other alternatives. Now there is Lyrica which I use and has changed my life...Read about it...
I have had pain from fm for 40 years and have never resorted to narcotics...
As soon as a person walks into a doctors office and the first thing they say is they want this or that narcotic..a doctor thinks "addicted person" right away....I was a nurse and know how the medical profession thinks....you are better off to keep a log of your symptoms..pain levels 0-10 everyday and show that to the doctor...and just ask him what he prescribes..don't tell him what to....in other words have a dialog with him......its the best way in the long run.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did try the Lyrica......it worked for a few days then stopped.......but the side effects were pure evil! I never took "drugs" but its the closest to ever feeling like I was tripping! And that was on the lowest dosage.

As for narcotics well some of us HAVE to take them. I have been on every single anti depressant there is also anti anxiety meds! I've been dealing with this for 8yrs........and for the first 6yrs I did every non narcotic there is plus trying natural ways to deal with this problem.

PLEASE do not jump to conclusions about everyone that uses or asks for narcotics. I only had relief after getting vicodin from my dentist. Its not like we don't try all the other options out there.

As for my file......this Dr travels to different offices. Im not sure if it is his job or his nurses job to make sure the files are in the office. But I notice that when his file isn't there he will treat me like a drug seeker.......especially if Im in a horrible flair and I'm not all dolled up! When he has my file AND I am having a good day and I put on my make up and dress well I'm treated TOTALLY differently.

Its ok to have a Dialogue with your Dr IF he can remember you! He acts like we are meeting for the first time every visit! I go to a Pain management Dr BECAUSE he is the only type of Dr in my area that gives out narcotics......that is why most of us that see him go to him. If I want antidepressants or non narcotic pain meds my regular GP can prescribe them.

Im so frustrated by all of this.

Hope

Old 01-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #19
(female)

catspajamas HB User

I still would get rid of a doctor that he or his office staff can't remember the charts for that day...there is no excuse for inefficiency when it comes to health care...
Sorry I ruffled your feathers about the narcotics...I didn't mean you , I meant people in general...I know there are some that need narcotics...but I still would try to take the lowest dose that controls the pain.
FM is a very frustrating disease..when I first got it not much was known about it and doctors just put you in their "nervous" category...It took a rheumatologist that was a professor of rheumatology to diagnose me...
I found the amitriptiline at bedtime was the best "pain reliever" even though its a antidepressant..It puts you in the restorative stage of sleep and that is what people with fm need if they are going to wake up in the morning not so stiff and sore....I wish you well and free from pain.....

Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catspajamas View Post
I still would get rid of a doctor that he or his office staff can't remember the charts for that day...there is no excuse for inefficiency when it comes to health care...
Sorry I ruffled your feathers about the narcotics...I didn't mean you , I meant people in general...I know there are some that need narcotics...but I still would try to take the lowest dose that controls the pain.
FM is a very frustrating disease..when I first got it not much was known about it and doctors just put you in their "nervous" category...It took a rheumatologist that was a professor of rheumatology to diagnose me...
I found the amitriptiline at bedtime was the best "pain reliever" even though its a antidepressant..It puts you in the restorative stage of sleep and that is what people with fm need if they are going to wake up in the morning not so stiff and sore....I wish you well and free from pain.....
I was DX'd by my regular Dr and then that diagnosis was confirmed by a Rheumatologist. I took my Physical Therapy and still continue this on a daily basis.

My regular Dr put me on Neurontin for my IBS and Im hoping it helps my Fibro too. It seems to be doing nothing but he may have to up the dosage.....I'm going to make an appt with him to go over this with him. I know its like Lyrica but thankfully I have NO side effects from this drug.

Don't worry about ruffling my feathers........I just got caught off guard, I felt like you were attacking me for taking narcotics and you didn't know all the other meds I have tried in the past 6-7yrs.

Hope

Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I have been on Ultracet or Tramadol for about 5 years. I never had any side affects. I have had good luck with it for pain. Mine started out with spinal cord compression as well as nerve compression and that medicine is about the only pain medicine that works with nerve pain. I do and have used percocet and hydrocodone when I have breakthrew pain and I have maxed my 400mg of tramadol.

My Rhuemy did tell me he was not comfortable prescribine me baclofen and the doses I take of tramodol so I need to continue with a pain management doctor for that. Lyrica is awesome for me. I used to have horrible icy hot pain to my left shoulder and arm area. The Lyrica worked. I am now upping the dosage for pain use.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #22
(female)

catspajamas HB User
Smile Re: which doctor prescribe vicodin for fibromyalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4All View Post
I was DX'd by my regular Dr and then that diagnosis was confirmed by a Rheumatologist. I took my Physical Therapy and still continue this on a daily basis.

My regular Dr put me on Neurontin for my IBS and Im hoping it helps my Fibro too. It seems to be doing nothing but he may have to up the dosage.....I'm going to make an appt with him to go over this with him. I know its like Lyrica but thankfully I have NO side effects from this drug.

Don't worry about ruffling my feathers........I just got caught off guard, I felt like you were attacking me for taking narcotics and you didn't know all the other meds I have tried in the past 6-7yrs.

Hope
Believe me I know about trying different meds to control symptoms of fm. I am 68 and have been trying them for 40 years...Thankfully mine has went into remission at times so maybe it will for you too...I do know that stress of any kind, mental or physical (even a cold) will set it off and running...anything you can do that helps you relax is helpful...I am glad that now, it is a recognized syndrome and its being studied...hopefully there will be a lot of help for us in the future....take care....

Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catspajamas View Post
Believe me I know about trying different meds to control symptoms of fm. I am 68 and have been trying them for 40 years...Thankfully mine has went into remission at times so maybe it will for you too...I do know that stress of any kind, mental or physical (even a cold) will set it off and running...anything you can do that helps you relax is helpful...I am glad that now, it is a recognized syndrome and its being studied...hopefully there will be a lot of help for us in the future....take care....
Sadly the weather is playing havoc on me right now.....it goes from 20's to 40's to 60's back down to 20's. I live in Pa and the weather is very odd this year.

Usually once spring hits I get better, but last August I went into the worst flair I ever had. Which is odd because Summer is usually the best time for me!

I don't know why they say its not progressive, mine has gotten much worse over the years.

Hope

Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #24
(female)

Grapedy HB User

The researchers say it's not progressive because they don't have it and they've only been seriously studying it for about 3 years. The groups they're watching haven't hit a progression cycle yet. When that happens, they'll change their tune and the literature will reflect that. The patients that they're studying is only a very small number of the great total of people with FM. And since it's such a personal disease, they have to wait and watch before they can say anything. That's the rules of the game and stupid things, like the Vioxx, Avandia and hormone messes, happen when the researchers ignore the rules.

Playing by the rules takes longer, but the results can't be ignored or rationalized away.

It's not the doctors are afraid of the DEA. It's that they're afraid of the cops, and with good reason. Vicodin abuse is rampant in today's society. My father dismissed 3 patients from his practice in 1 year because they were just after drugs. And this is in a town with a population less than 60,000. We don't have hard drugs here like heroin and LSD, but we do have a meth and Vicodin problem.

The crackdown on C-III drugs has been in dire need of happening for a LONG time. Unfortunately doctors are shutting down a little too hard and causing people with a legitimate need for the drugs to suffer needlessly. It'll all even out again in time. I know that doesn't help now, but it will even out again.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I can understand your point, but when a friend of mine who has Lupus has to argue with doctors to get Vicodin or something stronger, that just isn't right. Having Fibro is bad enough. But Lupus? Most people have no idea what it is like to live in chronic pain. Lets say my friend did get addicted to these pain killers. So what. She died of the disease so why allow her to live in pain?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarre;3***957
I can understand your point, but when a friend of mine who has Lupus has to argue with doctors to get Vicodin or something stronger, that just isn't right. Having Fibro is bad enough. But Lupus? Most people have no idea what it is like to live in chronic pain. Lets say my friend did get addicted to these pain killers. So what. She died of the disease so why allow her to live in pain?
I agree, if your going to have to take pain medication for the rest of your life why worry about addiction.

I have 3 kids and it makes me cry that this Fibro is taking away their mother. I use to be the fun mom that did alot with her kids......it hurts so bad to tell them I'm to sick to do the things I use to.

With the Vicodin it doesn't make me high, it makes me a mom and a wife again. It allows me to be human! I wish I could take my kids and husband into my Drs office and let them tell him how this thing called Fibro affects THEM. Me and my family have to mourn the person I use to be.......and with all the pain medication out there this shouldn't have to happen!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Hope

Old 01-31-2008, 09:05 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

I never understood the addition to Vicodin any. It doesn't make me feel good at all. It helps the pain, but if I take it for more than a few days, my stomach starts hurting. I do take a Tramadol a lot more than Vicodin.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstarre View Post
I never understood the addition to Vicodin any. It doesn't make me feel good at all. It helps the pain, but if I take it for more than a few days, my stomach starts hurting. I do take a Tramadol a lot more than Vicodin.

They get like this with the anti anxiety med Xanax........its the ONLY anxiety med that works on me......a few of the Drs in my Gps practice wouldn't give it to me saying ADDICTIVE. Luckily the Dr that runs the practice will give it to me. I've been on and off this med for many years. When I no longer need it I wheen off and no problem. I even had prescriptions run out, because I didn't need it.

Almost anything can be addictive. They have me fearful to take my meds for fear of addiction which by doing that I don't recieve adequate pain relief.

Hope

Old 02-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #29
(female)

Lizmo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4All;3***990
I agree, if your going to have to take pain medication for the rest of your life why worry about addiction.

I have 3 kids and it makes me cry that this Fibro is taking away their mother. I use to be the fun mom that did alot with her kids......it hurts so bad to tell them I'm to sick to do the things I use to.

With the Vicodin it doesn't make me high, it makes me a mom and a wife again. It allows me to be human! I wish I could take my kids and husband into my Drs office and let them tell him how this thing called Fibro affects THEM. Me and my family have to mourn the person I use to be.......and with all the pain medication out there this shouldn't have to happen!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Hope
This struck a nerve for me because I feel exactly the same way as you!

My dr prescribed Tramadol for me initially, but it didn't do anything. When I told him how much I would take, he immediately prescribed Vicodin and said to supplement that with the Tramadol. I ran out of the Tramadol once and had some really strange withdrawals, so I now understand why he did that.

Anyway, I have a preschooler and the only way I can get up and play is if I have Vicodin. The other day we played "Ring Around the Rosey" for about half and hour and the next day it was like someone beat me down with a baseball bat. I felt horrible because I just can't do that kind of stuff with her (and worse because her 60 year-old grandfather can).

I worry about becoming addicted, though. So, I suffer through when the pain isn't so bad some days. When I have a lot to do it seems to be better (probably because I don't have time to think about the pain so much). I'm glad for my little crutch on the days following, though.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:10 AM   #30
(female)

Oolaalaa HB User

Becoming addicted to a medication is a LOT different from becoming physically dependent. Addiction develops pretty rapidly and the person usually starts taking the medication when they aren't in pain. Their symptoms will start to worsen and their life begins to spiral downhill.

On the flip side, taking pain medication on a regular basis can actually give a chronic pain patient their life back. People that aren't able to get off the couch are finding that they can do some household chores, groom themselves, and cook for the family. These patients quickly lose any 'high' feeling from taking the medication. As long as you take your medication as prescribed by your doctor and only when you are in pain then there is little chance to become addicted. There is a good chance for physical dependency, which is much different. When the medication is stopped, withdrawals can occur. The body is still expecting or wanting the medication and can cause nausea, shakes, hallucinations, etc. Although some of those might sound extreme, for medications like vicoden the withdrawals are only for about 5 days. Some of the withdrawal symptoms can be lessened by slowly tapering off of the medication.

When medicine is prescribed for pain, there is less than 10 percent chance of a person becoming addicted (I think that number is actually lower). The media tends to focus on those patients because addiction is a horrible downward spiral. There is hope though. Some people who were formally addicted to a medication have been able to take Vicodin for chronic pain if they take the medication as prescribed and are watched closely by their doctor.

Doctors are scared of the DEA and local law enforcement for prescribing narcotics. The DEA have found doctors to be an easy target to get their arrest numbers up. Doctors arrested typically will plea out and lose their license in exchange for no jail time. If they go to trial, they are looking at 20-30 year sentences. If you think that's nuts, then look at the guy in florida who got 30 years for filling his own prescription medication for pain and taking it. He was pardoned last july after serving 4 years.

This practice of locking up our doctors or scaring our doctors is just hurting the sick. People with chronic pain need help. There are alternatives to pain medications and I applaud looking for those. But pain patients left undertreated begin to have higher blood pressure, some can turn suicidal, and a whole host of other bad symptoms. At present, we are forcing our doctors to become detective instead of healers. More and more pain clinics now are choosing not to prescribe narcotics or many are going out of business rather than face prosecution. This leaves even more patients without anyone to help.

This really is a growing problem and why you'll find people all over the internet who are living with too much pain and unable to find a doctor to help them. They are labeled as drug seekers. There are some organizations who are trying to fight to change things, but their numbers are few. Most don't seem to realize there is such a huge problem until they are someone in pain.

Anyways.. that's my awareness message for the day. We have to start spreading the word. I think ABC has a new interactive pain medical news section on their website. LEAP is a good organization who are made up of law enforcement officers who want to deregulate drugs. There is the Pain Relief Network, who actively helps doctors who have been arrested. Sadly, that organization was started by a woman and her husband. The husband passed away 2 years ago from not being able to get proper pain medication. The wife is continuing on and even talking before congress.

I'm sure there are more who are trying to help in the effort. The best thing we can do is spread the word to everyone. It doesn't matter if you are affiliated with any group. Just do a little research and tell people.

I have no answers for how to get vicodin if you are in pain and need it. Sadly, the options are few these days. I use ice packs and keep the house super cold. I'm on lyrica, but it helps less and less everyday. I was on paxil and effexor, but I recently stopped the effexor because i don't think it was helping with the pain anymore. I've tried some anti-inflammatories, but they haven't helped at all. NSAIDS destroy my stomach and now one of my doctors says my liver isn't doing well so they are taking away tylenol. I've found that playing video games can help. For me it's not so much in the distraction, but in the adrenaline when I'm fighting tough opponents. Anger can bring out that same adrenaline, but that's not really a healthy way to love HA! I recently read an article about itching.. and then when you scratch endorphins are released. I have no idea how this could apply to us unless we went and rolled around in a poison ivy bed. But, interesting nonetheless.

m

Closed Thread