It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB UserBeHappy2 HB User
Fibromyalgia & Positive ANA

I have Fibro and a Rheumy whom checks my bloodwork profile every 6 months. Just out of curiousity, How many of you know that you have a Positive ANA (anti-nuclear antibody) and Fibromyalgia ?
I do have Positive ANA and Fibro and wondering if this is common ?
Any replies appreciated, Thanks

BeHappy2

Old 10-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
(female)

maryla225 HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia & Positive ANA

A positive ANA is NOT usually found with fibromyalgia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'll try to word this the best way for understanding.
I have Fibromyalgia.
Positive ANA shown in my bloodwork every 6 months.
Have any of you been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia first and then having another illness such as Lupus, RA or any other discovered in your bloodwork profile? A Positive ANA can be the beginning of other diseases that will show up in time.
Does anyone else here with Fibro have their bloodwork profile every
6 months?
My Rheumy believes i have other factors that have just not surfaced yet and wants to closely monitor bloodwork since i do have the
Positive ANA.
I hope this explains more further than my first posting here with Fibro & Positive ANA.
Anyone here have something similiar to what i'm asking?

BeHappy2

Old 10-30-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Yes, I also have a positive ana, speckled pattern, rashes etc. I have not yetseen a rheumy but Know that I need to. I have an awful lot of Lupus symptoms and other strange things in my bloodwork but have been dragging my feet.

The following user gives a hug of support to kdel:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to kdel For This Useful Post:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
Old 10-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Kdel for responding here. My ANA is also speckled pattern.
What you answered to was exactly what i was asking to hear.
I'm assuming you've been diagnosed with Fibro but not diagnosed with the Lupus. This is what i was curious of knowing if others had been diagnosed with Fibro first and also having the Positive ANA.
Be kind to yourself Kdel and don't drag your feet too long without seeing a Rheumy. Hopefully i will get more answers with more blood tests, i am one who has pain 24/7 with Fibromyalgia and if there is more going on with me i need the correct meds before damage sets in to my body.
Thanks again so much for responding. Now i know i am not the only one out in this world with Fibro first and Positive ANA with whatever else there is that follows.
Anyone else please post, did you have Fibro first and bloodwork with Positive ANA? Then have Lupus or RA begin to show up?

BeHappy2

Old 10-31-2007, 03:08 AM   #6
(female)

jenilee70 HB User

I have positive ANA and have been diagnosed with fibro. Initially, I saw a rheumatologist due to extreme fatigue that I felt. I had my blood tested and the ANA was positive, along with anti SSA and SSB plus more.

To begin with, I wasn't diagnosed with anything, since my symptoms were not specific enough. I was prescribed Plaquenil and monitored with blood tests every few months.

This year, I was finally diagnosed with fibro, but by another rheumatologist. I had new blood tests done and everything was still positive, the ANA etc. and I was also positive for RF.

So I'm starting to think I may have RA, but it's not been confirmed with an official diagnosis. Also, I could have Sjögren's based on the positive anti SSA and SSB, but as of now nothing further than fibro has been diagnosed.

The following user gives a hug of support to jenilee70:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to jenilee70 For This Useful Post:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
Old 11-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
(female)

gunner00 HB User

I also have had positive ANA tests. It started as drug induced lupus due to acne medication. My old rheumi was doing test every six months to see if the antibodies would disappear. For almost two years I was getting test done and getting different answers with every doctors visit.

I was tired of the wait and see game so I went to a new rheumi. He felt it was fibro but there is a possibility based on the ANA test still being positive that it may be an indicator of a future problem.

The following user gives a hug of support to gunner00:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to gunner00 For This Useful Post:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
Old 11-02-2007, 03:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi again, yes I have been diagnosed with fibro and also suffer constant pain. For example- I took my son trick or treating, it was very difficult and painful to do and now I'm in a terrible flair. This is so ridiculous, all I did was walk for a while and now I can hardly walk at all.

The following user gives a hug of support to kdel:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

monalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB Usermonalisa24 HB User

BeHappy2,

not sure when you posted this but just ran across your post.
im also dealing with a post.ANA..speckled pattern..high Sed Rate
but have been tested in 2 different labs ,,one being University of Washington..which is a good one! my lupus and other stuff comes up Negative...but that was over about 3 so yrs ago..sooo i guess i better go back and test again...i also have severe 24/7 pain!! someone here suggested exercise ..i get it and why it will ,,could ..does help us..but UM im lucky to get even some sleep, up in the mornings, sit here like now and im just dying from Hemorrhoid pain..sorry..butt Iam....shower , clean sooome..cook dinner..then im in screaming pain..then it starts all over again...

id like to hear if you've gone and got more testing?

Hugs Monalisa

The following user gives a hug of support to monalisa24:
BeHappy2 (02-16-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to monalisa24 For This Useful Post:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Monalisa
i just responded and my reply went poof..gone.

Good you found this 3 year old post..hope it has helped you in some ways.
i'm hoping my one that went poof will reappear.haha

Yes i still have blood work every 6 months, my rheumy orders that.
I've also seen 2 neurologists that have been helpful with diagnosis's with nerve conduction tests.

i do totally understand your 24/7 pain..treat symptoms best as you can/we sure learn as we go on with having Fibromyalgia.

Having a sleep study may also give you answers, it has with me.

I think my post that went poof may have been to long so i'll stop here so you do get this response.

I have found this healthboards to be so helpful..many are kindhearted filled with a good sense of humor..Love you all for being here..

Hope this gives you some in sight Monalisa
Hugs to you
Be Well
BeHappy2

The following user gives a hug of support to BeHappy2:
monalisa24 (02-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to BeHappy2 For This Useful Post:
monalisa24 (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #11
(female)

Elisaba HB User

I was tested and sent to a cancer center because of too many red blood cells. They told me it was normal for fibro patients because the body is fighting the pain.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Elisaba
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011), Clare1975 (02-19-2011), monalisa24 (02-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Elisaba For This Useful Post:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
(female)

Iloveturtles HB User

My ANA's every year at my physical are on the border of being positive. I go next week for my yearly blood work at my GP office. Recently, I have had restless legs and more pain in my toes, knees and back and I'm afraid it could be the start of arthritis or lupus I sure hope not!

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: Iloveturtles
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011), Clare1975 (02-19-2011), monalisa24 (02-19-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Iloveturtles For This Useful Post:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I just wanted to throw my 2cents into the mix. I also had a positive ANA and tested high titers for lupus, don't remember the patten. Rheumy started me on plaquenil and once on treatment ANA went to normal. I have the lupus symptoms, so I am treated for them. Another reason for a high ANA is hashmotos thyroidites or hypothyroid. I also had high antibodies for thyroid. I was told by one rheumy I went to that thyroid can cause a high ANA and when treated it will go to normal. Of course I did not like her and did not continue with her. So take that advice with a grain of salt. Also has anyone tested positive for APS (antiphospholipid antibodies)? I do and now do the aspirin a day for that. My rheumy checks my blood regularly also. Oh and I remember being told that if you have a family history of auto immune disease you can test positive.

Glojer

The following user gives a hug of support to Glojer:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Glojer For This Useful Post:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
(female)

mandaplease HB User

I have a positive ANA. Anywhere from 5 to 15% of the general population has one for no reason, science isn't perfect. It could be a sign of something else. I'm not sure why some doctors don't order all the tests but I got tested for lyme, strogens, lupus. They tested my liver and kidneys and all of my blood work and did a rheumatoid test. I have no symptoms of anything besides fibro and all testing came back negative. So I would have to say I genuinely think I just have fibro.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mandaplease
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011), monalisa24 (05-14-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandaplease For This Useful Post:
BeHappy2 (05-14-2011), monalisa24 (05-14-2011)
Old 05-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer i really don't know if I've been tested for APS. I'd have to look thru my past blood tests reports.

My past 2 blood testings have had higher mono levels. Been too darn sick this spring, i need a break. Very low with fatigue, i just don't feel well at all.
I've had to change docs recently due to their retiring and now the one i changed to is leaving.

Thanks for the APS info, will look into that.

Be well
BeHappy2

The following user gives a hug of support to BeHappy2:
Glojer (05-15-2011)
Closed Thread