It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User
Has Anyone With Fibro Been Able To Get A Handicapped Sticker?

My pain is mostly in my legs. From the knees down. I rarely go shopping and when I do I just can't walk a long way when I get a flare up. Has anyone gotten a handicapped sticker for Fibro?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Has Anyone With Fibro Been Able To Get A Handicapped Sticker?

I've been afraid to ask for one, since most doctors advocate walking as good healthy exercise. I know I have heart issues also and some days I just don't feel like walking a long way, especially in the doctor's parking lots as I know I am out of breath by the time I get inside. I too have trouble with my knees at times and my hips most of the time. It makes it hard to walk when I have a flare. I was having some steadiness problems as well at times. I know I look like someone who has been whacked by all the furniture some days. I may get up the nerve to ask for one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

of course you can get one. go to the dmv or ******** the form and take it to your doc. what can they say? no. doubtful. my doc started out with the red ones with both of us hoping the need would be short term. i now have handicapped licence plates and the card for when i am in someone elses car.
on the days i know i can walk it i don't use the spaces. do it. why stay home if you don't have to?
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 12-23-2007, 06:52 AM   #4
(female)

Sandilyn HB User

When I first had the worst flare of my life, more-so with fatigue & nausea and so much weakness where I was so exhausted (even before we knew I had fibro - but had myofascial pain), I asked my family doc for one and got it. I was using a quad cane at the time. I don't need to use it now but it is great to have if I find I do.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i got one because my doc told me i needed one. i got mine for fibro and other arthritis and degenerative joint disease. that was 15 yrs ago. back then i had to take another road test to make sure i could turn my neck etc. they might not have you do that anymore, plus different states could have different rules. i would really go for one, i'm sure you'll get it. also, like blue said, on my good pain days, i won't use the space, unless i have to walk rea far. hope this answered you, good luck.....bevann

Old 12-24-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

hi everyone, it probably depends on each doctor and how they view your condiiton/abilities. Some have more awareness about FM and its debilitating effects.

My HMO primary care doctor was great about it. Yes you are suppose to exercise, but you are also supposed to NOT overdo and risk flare. And, when you are in flare you are definitely not supposed to over do. When I asked him for the parking card I asked for temporary thinking I was in severe flare and would get better in a few months. When my DH picked up the completed paperwork from the doctor to send in to DMV, he noticed the doctor had completed for permanent, not temporary. DH asked if there was a mistake in paperwork. The nurse told him the doctor completed it, and reached over and patted him on the hand and said "dear, unfortunately, she is really going to need this".....they were right. Its now been over 2 years. There has only been a couple of times we didn't have to use it, but I am house bound and bedridden most of the time.

So if one doctor isn't supportive then ask another one!

Old 12-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #7
(female)

Grapedy HB User

Getting a handicap sticker in most states is ridiculously easy. Here in my state, if you can't walk more than 25 feet without pausing to catch your breath or rest, you can get a sticker. Doesn't matter if the problem can be seen or it's invisible. That's the only requirement. There are many of us who have days where we have to stop and rest before we pass 25 feet.

In most states, all you need is the form from the doctor. A good internist or rheumy should have the form on file in the office. We always did.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

When braveman (my hubby) was so very weak and sick his rhuemy offered it to him. It is one of the hang tags for a year. It has been very helpful when he flares, although his chronic disease is not fibromyalgia. We use it when necessary and not when we don't need it. His doc had the form right in the treatment room in a file and just pulled it out and checked a few spots and signed it. It never hurts to ask.

Glojer

Old 01-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #9
(female)

bbar40 HB User

Hi, my doctors were very supportive in my having handicapped parking stickers. I use them when I am feeling especially bad, but when I feel I can do the walking, I park elsewhere and enjoy the ability to walk!!

Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #10
(female)

Valentone HB User

I have heard that doctors can be fined $10,000 here in NJ for filling out the forms and the patient does not have qualifying issues. Now who determines this I don't know. Maybe others in NJ may know more about this and whether it truly is fact.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I have been given permission for a temporary hang tag. I suppose I can extend it when that runs out. I try not to use it but on bad days or after grocery shopping, it makes it so much easier. I can walk okay most days but pushing a buggy leaves me drained for a long time afterwards. I have fibro but also a heart condition and COPD.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

SusanG50 HB User

I have a permanent handicap tag. I don't use it all the time....I try to walk when I can, but boy is it worth a million dollars when I do need it.

Doc signed the papers, tag office gave it to me and now I just get stickers for the new year for it. I think I have to take a new note in like, every 10 years or so.

Closed Thread