It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User
What does a tender point feel like?

I have been doing lots of research seeking answers for the pain I remain in post my cervical spine surgeries. Thinking the damage from that is why I was suffering. Now the aches and pains have gone from the upper body to the lower body and are on both sides the same. I am now getting confused by the posts regarding FMS and trigger vs tender points. From what I read MFS is trigger points and FMS is tender points. I have also looked many times at the diagram of tender areas. I have pain in all those areas but do not know if they are true tender points as I cannot reach many of them nor do I think I am actually pressing the right spots. So my question would be, where do you feel the most tender at? Where are the points on the body for real not in a photo?

I have bad elbow pain both elbows, it was only one side due to a pending ACDC C6/7 but then both started hurting the same. I mean I could not rest them on the console of the car or my desk without to much pain. They hurt just to be. I have had that going on for about 3 weeks bad. Today I am having a reprieve. Also my booty both sides hurt. I have to sleep on my back, and I was a side sleeper. I get awoken with intense pain in my butt when I wake many times if I am on my side, that and my elbow pain. And then my feet hurt upon waking most days as do my knees. It takes me a few hours and my pain,nerve and muscle relaxers to get a break. But I do not even know where to press on my head or neck (those I can reach). I hurt all the time there and was diagnosed with Chronic Pain Sydrome some time ago since my PM couldn't figure anything else out nor would he try since I am only a Workman's Comp patient.

I see a Rheumy Friday. Question too do I take my pills before I go or suffer all morning so he sees me as I really am?

Kelly

Do I bring my MRI's and doctors notes from my spine doctor? I had a recent CT scan of the chest, Lumbar MRI and nothing. I thought for sure I had a sciatic nerve compressed but the same stuff as I have had for years appeared and just DDD. I went to the foot doctor and have Mortons Neuroma.

Last edited by Backinthesaddle; 12-27-2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: add info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
(female)

Grapedy HB User
Re: What does a tender point feel like?

Take your pills. If you don't, you won't be able to move after the physical exam. As bad as you feel on them, he shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out how you feel without them.

It's too late to try to get copies of all of your other tests to take with you. You need to allow at least a week for records requests from a hospital. 2 weeks if it's a big hospital. You have to get lab results and radiology results from the hospital. The doctor who ordered the tests cannot release them to the patient, that's federal law. Let the doctor know that they've been done, and if he needs the results his staff can request them. It's actually easier for the doctor that way.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Thanks for the suggestion. I am beginning to really ache, haven't slept well all night. I was thinking thinking and thinking. Plus various body parts twitching or aching. I think sometimes I am just so used to all of this I rarely notice unless I am laying down at night.

The only blood tests I have had run were all Fertility testing. I was tested for Lupus and for other various hormone issues plus an complete 18 vile blood tests for multiple miscarriages. All was normal. My spine doctors never ran any testing. I do have copies of all my MRI reports and doctors notes so I will bring those.

Thanks

Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Hi, I know it sounds weird, but i can't find my tenderpoints except for the ones on my collarbone area that are painful when the seatbelt touches me there. The other tenderpoints were initially found by my rheumy. He knew where they were and when he pressed on them they hurt like hell. My chiropractor hits them when he pulls on my knees and ankles. It just plain hurts. I don't know how else to describe it.

The pain from the chronic myofascial pain trigger points varies as you know and when nerves get pinched in those muscle knots it causes all kinds of weird pains.

I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Thanks. I tried to explain to my husband that my radial nerves felt like I had a muscle cramp and how it burns before it works out. My ulnar nerve does feel like a bruise. My upper shoulders ache just deep deep aching. The tips of my shoulders hurt to rub and speeking of rubbing I cannot even rub my own aches because my hands hurt so bad. Do you guys get the shooting stabbing type of pains? I know I get a lot of nerve pain not just muscular. I have a lot of nerve damage dealing with my arms and hands.

I am going to post my first appt and something about points is there. I would appreciate any responses there too.

K

Closed Thread