It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
(female)

Campo Kim HB User
Up all night--what do you do for intense pain?

Hi all,

I cannot believe this pain. I am newly diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I feel so hopeless when it is like this. It is hard to even pinpoint the pain. It is like someone flipped on the "pain" switch on my body. It is through my arms, originating at my elbows. It is in my shoulder blades and upper back; hips, buttocks, and legs. I think the only place that doesn't hurt are my feet. Motrin and Tylenol do not touch the pain and I cannot take anything like Vicodin, codeine and prescription pain meds as I am either allergic or highly sensitive. I went the whole weekend like this (nights are the worst) and I am wondering what others do. I will be calling my rheumatologist when they open this morning to ask about options.

I have been on 50 mg of Lyrica, just once a day for about 3 weeks now. That was enough in the beginning, yet now the pain is tripled. I just took 75 mg and that has helped a little. Is anyone else on Lyrica? How much do you take? I wonder if you build up a resistance and keep needing more as time goes on.

Sorry for all of the rambling--I have had maybe 2 hours of sleep and feel utterly overwhelmed.

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Up all night--what do you do for intense pain?

hi kim,
are you able to take sleep meds? have you tried a heated mattress pad? untuck your bedding from the foot of the bed. get a light warm down comforter. the heavier your blankets the more you induce pain at night.
i think i tried lyrica and was unable to take it. can't remember. others here take it. how much does your doctor say you can take at a time? if you don't get an answer from someone else post a thread asking about the amount of lyrica others take in a day.
sorry you hurt kiddo. sure does teach you alot about life, don't it?
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi Kim,

The doc started me out on 50mg Lyrica and slowly worked up to 300mg a day, it had been 2 months for me, and will probably go a bit higher next time I see my pain management doctor. It does work, probably will never take all the pain away, but it does make it manageable. So if you can take it and have no side effects, ask your doc if you can up the mg's. Also, I take Cymbalta for pain and depression, as the pain will make anyone depressed, it also helps me sleep, when the pain gets particular bad in the evening, I will take a flexeril, it does wonders and absolutely will help me sleep, can't take it any other time except when I go to bed as it will make you sleepy. Sounds like your doc is on the right track, but maybe you need to see a pain management doc. I don't take any narcotics, and I never will, so you don't need to be afraid of that, there are other things out there besides narcotics.
I hope you get some relief soon, keep in touch,

Sunny

Last edited by 1sunny1; 01-07-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sunny1 View Post
Hi Kim,

The doc started me out on 50mg Lyrica and slowly worked up to 300mg a day, it had been 2 months for me, and will probably go a bit higher next time I see my pain management doctor. It does work, probably will never take all the pain away, but it does make it manageable. So if you can take it and have no side effects, ask your doc if you can up the mg's. Also, I take Cymbalta for pain and depression, as the pain will make anyone depressed, it also helps me sleep, when the pain gets particular bad in the evening, I will take a flexeril, it does wonders and absolutely will help me sleep, can't take it any other time except when I go to bed as it will make you sleepy. Sounds like your doc is on the right track, but maybe you need to see a pain management doc. I don't take any narcotics, and I never will, so you don't need to be afraid of that, there are other things out there besides narcotics.
I hope you get some relief soon, keep in touch,

Sunny
Thank you bluelakelady and Sunny. I am tired, but doing a lot better.

Sunny, this is so funny. My rheumatologist just called back and told me to increase my Lyrica to 300 mg and he is referring me to a pain management doctor!! I didn't even know there was such a thing as a pain management doctor. What are they called--painologists?

Anyway, I am going to try the things you both have suggested. I cannot take Cymbalta or any SSRI's. I have been on Wellbutrin for 3 years and it is helpful with my depression.

I forgot all about my Flexeril. I have a whole bottle from when my back went out a couple of months ago. It makes me a little spacey, but it is better than being in so much pain. I will try it tonight.

Thanks again for listening and for the advice.

Kim

Old 01-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Kim, Sounds good, once you get to a pain management doc, they will be able to help you more with your pain. I had an epidural a few weeks ago, it helped right away, I also get trigger point injections which help, of course none of this lasts forever, it is an ongoing procedure that you can't do too often. Glad you can take the flexeril, it should help, at least for sleeping. Hope you are better tomorrow after taking a flexeril. Let us know how you are doing and how the doc visits go.

Sunny

Old 01-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

Percocet 10 mg 4 times a day as needed from my pain mgmt doc. It is possible to become dependent or addicted to it though. I have to get mine filled each week to make sure that i don't take too many.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_starr View Post
Percocet 10 mg 4 times a day as needed from my pain mgmt doc. It is possible to become dependent or addicted to it though. I have to get mine filled each week to make sure that i don't take too many.

Thanks Starr. I wish I could take Percocet, Darvocet, Vicodin, codeine, etc. but I am either allergic or cannot tolerate. I am glad it works for you.

Thanks Sunny. The Flexeril worked wonders. I slept really well, but did wake up a little groggy. And I only took half!! I am so sensitive to drugs that there is not a whole lot I can take. I see you are located in CA. Are you northern or southern?

I hope you are all doing well today.

Kim

Old 01-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kim, I am in sunny Southern Ca., although it hasn't been to sunny lately, but that is o.k., we need the rain. Glad you got some relief last night. I know the groggyness in the morning, it usually takes me about an hour and two cups of coffee before I can manage anything. And the I take my dog for his daily 3 to 5 mile walk, and the length usually depends on how well I feel, but I can always manage 3 miles, and that really get me going, it is important to keep exercising if you can. I know it hurts, but in the long run it will really help you, if nothing elkse, lay on the floor and stretch. I go to the doc tomorrow for trigger point injections, can't wait for that, they also help a lot.

keep in touch Kim, and oh yeah, what part of Ca. are you from?
Sunny

Last edited by 1sunny1; 01-08-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

kate26444 HB User

Oh Kim we all "feel" for you. Before bed I soak in a hot tub...put your fave bath & body scent in and think lovely thoughts. After, get out and put your silkiest nightie on and take an ambien. I wouldn't sleep without it because my legs hurt so bad at night.

I've just started on Lyrica and I take 150 mg. a day (50 3 times a day). It has worked great so far...especially with the leg pain at night plus has helped with my horrible fatigue and even cut my appetite! I also take 300 mg ultram a day.

I won't take narcotic pain relievers....been there, done that with back pain and surgery three years ago. In fact, once during a flare my husband insisted I take a vicodin (he has back problems) and it didn't even seem to work. Maybe I've built up a tolerance and I got really sick to my stomach.

When you're in a flare, don't feel guilty if you take it easy for a couple of days. Things will get done eventually and try not to push yourself. Rest seems to really help during my flares and of course, become friends with your heating pad. It really helps my achy spots. Hope you're feeling better soon. Pain management should help you through this tough time too. Good luck! Kate

Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Quote:
Hi Kim, I am in sunny Southern Ca., although it hasn't been to sunny lately, but that is o.k., we need the rain. Glad you got some relief last night. I know the groggyness in the morning, it usually takes me about an hour and two cups of coffee before I can manage anything. And the I take my dog for his daily 3 to 5 mile walk, and the length usually depends on how well I feel, but I can always manage 3 miles, and that really get me going, it is important to keep exercising if you can. I know it hurts, but in the long run it will really help you, if nothing elkse, lay on the floor and stretch. I go to the doc tomorrow for trigger point injections, can't wait for that, they also help a lot.

keep in touch Kim, and oh yeah, what part of Ca. are you from?
Sunny
Hi Sunny,

I am So. Ca. as well. I am in an "unincorporated" community in San Diego County called Campo, which is out in the boonies. It is very nice. We even get snow sometimes as we are about 3,000 feet in elevation. Yes, we have needed the rain--desperately. I hope you were not affected by the wildfires where you are.

I am wondering if you are in my general area. Who is your pain doc? My rheumatologist is in La Mesa (not sure if you are familiar with that area) and also has an office in El Centro.

I try to jog 2 miles every few days, but since it has been so cold, I just cannot handle it. It makes my pain so much worse when it is cold. My last jog was about 4 days ago. That is wonderful that you make it out every day. I know exercise is the best thing for fibromyalgia. It is such a vicious cycle though--when you are in pain, you cannot exercise, yet that is exactly what your body needs. Lately, I am finding that after a jog, I have so much more pain than I did before and that is very frustrating to me.

It has been so nice talking with you. Thanks for all of your great advice.

Kim

Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #11
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate26444 View Post
Oh Kim we all "feel" for you. Before bed I soak in a hot tub...put your fave bath & body scent in and think lovely thoughts. After, get out and put your silkiest nightie on and take an ambien. I wouldn't sleep without it because my legs hurt so bad at night.

I've just started on Lyrica and I take 150 mg. a day (50 3 times a day). It has worked great so far...especially with the leg pain at night plus has helped with my horrible fatigue and even cut my appetite! I also take 300 mg ultram a day.

I won't take narcotic pain relievers....been there, done that with back pain and surgery three years ago. In fact, once during a flare my husband insisted I take a vicodin (he has back problems) and it didn't even seem to work. Maybe I've built up a tolerance and I got really sick to my stomach.

When you're in a flare, don't feel guilty if you take it easy for a couple of days. Things will get done eventually and try not to push yourself. Rest seems to really help during my flares and of course, become friends with your heating pad. It really helps my achy spots. Hope you're feeling better soon. Pain management should help you through this tough time too. Good luck! Kate
Hi Kate,

I think the Lyrica is helping me as well. Even though the doctor said to go up to 300 mg yesterday, just 150 mg really helped me through. That along with the Flexeril. The heat from a hot bath worked wonders as well last night.

I have to work on the guilt thing. I have been out on disability for three months since I started going downhill with my health. I keep thinking I need to do more. I have three kids and they keep me busy. Everything is such a chore living out where we are as it is 45 minutes to the nearest supermarket. By the time I get there, I just want to go home!! I don't remember how I used to do all of this and work full time. Just the drive to work alone would be too much at this point.

It is nice to meet you!!

Kim

Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kim,

We are in Palmdale, high desert, so pretty cold here as well. My son lives in rancho panasquitos, I know I spelled that wrong. Anyway, I am somewhat familiar with La Mesa more familar with mesa. We visit my son and daughter in law quite often, they are expecting my first grandson in April, so I will be down there a lot. Can hardly believe I am going to be a Grammy, I don't feel old enough although I way old enough I go to Universal Pain Management, they are in various places, but not sure if they are in San Diego. You can do a search on them. Stay well Kim and warm.

Sunny

Old 01-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Quote:
Hi Kim,

We are in Palmdale, high desert, so pretty cold here as well. My son lives in rancho panasquitos, I know I spelled that wrong. Anyway, I am somewhat familiar with La Mesa more familar with mesa. We visit my son and daughter in law quite often, they are expecting my first grandson in April, so I will be down there a lot. Can hardly believe I am going to be a Grammy, I don't feel old enough although I way old enough I go to Universal Pain Management, they are in various places, but not sure if they are in San Diego. You can do a search on them. Stay well Kim and warm.

Sunny
Oh yeah--you must be pretty chilly today. We are considered a cross between mountains and high desert here. It was about 45 when I dropped the kids off this morning.

Rancho Penasquitos is a lovely area. How great for you that you are going to be a Grammy!! I hope to be a grammy someday who walks 3-5 miles every day!!

Speaking of being a grandma--my youngest (8) says to me the other day, "Mom, someday my kids are going to love you as a grandma". Lately with all of my health problems, I have been feeling like a death sentence has been bestowed upon me at age 37 (yes, a lot of pity partying involved). I realized that I have to get my health on track to be that grandma some day. I am sure you know what I mean.

Anyway, I have to get some grocery shopping done today which means I need about 4 hours to do this. I have had my coffee and all my meds, so need to go when I am feeling OK.

Have a great rest of the day!!

Kim

Old 01-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
(female)

Grapedy HB User

You can also trying taking just a quarter of one of your Flexerils, if the grogginess is really bad. If your pill is big enough where you can cut the half in half that is. Some of them aren't big enough to be worth the effort.

I hear ya on the narcotic sensitivity stuff. They work for me, but keep me from sleeping so I won't take them. If I'm really desperate I'll take half of one of my dad's Vicodin and a whole Ambien. It's been awhile since I've been that desperate though. He has chronic pain from back surgery, so there are always narcotics in the house if I get really truly desperate.

Even when you can't jog, if you can just get outside and walk at a steady pace for 15 minutes that'll help loads. I can't jog or run because of mis-aligned knees and hips, so I walk. I'm lucky enough to be a member of a gym with a padded indoor walking track, so I can go walk no matter what the weather's like.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapedy View Post
You can also trying taking just a quarter of one of your Flexerils, if the grogginess is really bad. If your pill is big enough where you can cut the half in half that is. Some of them aren't big enough to be worth the effort.

I hear ya on the narcotic sensitivity stuff. They work for me, but keep me from sleeping so I won't take them. If I'm really desperate I'll take half of one of my dad's Vicodin and a whole Ambien. It's been awhile since I've been that desperate though. He has chronic pain from back surgery, so there are always narcotics in the house if I get really truly desperate.

Even when you can't jog, if you can just get outside and walk at a steady pace for 15 minutes that'll help loads. I can't jog or run because of mis-aligned knees and hips, so I walk. I'm lucky enough to be a member of a gym with a padded indoor walking track, so I can go walk no matter what the weather's like.

Hi Grapedy,

I smiled when I read your post as it is so hard to cut my Flexerils in half (mine are 10 mg). I think if I tried to cut it in quarters that it might disappear entirely!!

With the narcotics, sleeping pills, ect., my body reacts so strangly. It might be due to the fact that I have orthostatic hypotension and they make my blood pressure drop. I am not sure. I am glad I am finally finding a mix of meds that are working.

I actually took a little jog today and am feeling OK. Doubling my Lyrica has helped so much. I think you said it doesn't help you and I am sorry about that. It is so weird how drugs affect different people.

When were you diagnosed, by the way?

Kim

Closed Thread