It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
(female)

Spin8_01 HB User
How do you take Flexeril?

I am newby and was wondering how others take Flexeril. My doc started me on 5 mg for week one and wanted me to increase it by 5mg each week up to 40mg if needed. I have been taking 20mg and I didn't think that it was working so I dropped to one the pass two nights so that I could stop taking it. Well day two made me realize that the Flexeril was working because I started hurting all over again. Before I dropped to 10mg, my arms were still hurting but I quess I had forgot about all of the other aches because my arms are always hurting. Well they all came back and needless to say I'll be back on my 20mg tonight.

I only take it at bed time but am scared to go up to 40mg. I hate medicine. I don't have any adverse side affects with the 20mg that I'm taking. Maybe because I only take it at bed time. I guess that's why I thought it wasn't working.

Now I'm wondering if I follow the docs directions and continue up to the 40mg if my arms will stop hurting. Is anyone else taking Flexeril?

40mg seems like alot. Everything I read about Flexeril says to only take it for short periods. I understand that this is an off label use for the drug. Has anyone else taking it for long periods?

My two cents for today is not to prune butterfly bushes when your are reducing your meds.

Thanks,

Last edited by Spin8_01; 01-07-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: hit the wrong button

Old 01-08-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: How do you take Flexeril?

hi spin,
i took it for about a year over a decade ago. i quit taking it due to weight gain, if memory serves me correctly. i worked my way up to the 40mg. took it at night and within an hour of taking it would start this craving for sweets. my weight went up, up and then the doc says oh, yea, it can do that. i later fired him.
weaned myself off and never went back. for some this is a very helpful drug.
it really is a personal choice. with our bodies being so unique each of us has a slightly different path.
talk to your doctor if you are concerned. there are alot of meds out there to choose from. my personal thing is to really listen to myself. if it doesn't feel right i say no and tell my dear doc to try again. she's cool. now she sends me home with a drug name and i do my research first, then if i want to try it i call her and she scripts it.
hope this helps you a bit.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User

10 mg at night for over 3 years. If I miss a dose, I can't sleep as well.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
(female)

Campo Kim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spin8_01 View Post
I am newby and was wondering how others take Flexeril. My doc started me on 5 mg for week one and wanted me to increase it by 5mg each week up to 40mg if needed. I have been taking 20mg and I didn't think that it was working so I dropped to one the pass two nights so that I could stop taking it. Well day two made me realize that the Flexeril was working because I started hurting all over again. Before I dropped to 10mg, my arms were still hurting but I quess I had forgot about all of the other aches because my arms are always hurting. Well they all came back and needless to say I'll be back on my 20mg tonight.

I only take it at bed time but am scared to go up to 40mg. I hate medicine. I don't have any adverse side affects with the 20mg that I'm taking. Maybe because I only take it at bed time. I guess that's why I thought it wasn't working.

Now I'm wondering if I follow the docs directions and continue up to the 40mg if my arms will stop hurting. Is anyone else taking Flexeril?

40mg seems like alot. Everything I read about Flexeril says to only take it for short periods. I understand that this is an off label use for the drug. Has anyone else taking it for long periods?

My two cents for today is not to prune butterfly bushes when your are reducing your meds.

Thanks,
Hi Spin,

With so many other things I have tried, I had forgotten all about my bottle of Flexeril until Sunny here on the boards posted about it. I am extremely sensitive to meds so I do not need much. I took 5 mg last night, and that was helpful for sleep. I think it is whatever your body needs and whatever you can handle. It makes me a little groggy in the morning.

I did want to share something that my rheumatologist told me. He had me crush up the Flexeril and mix it with hand cream to rub on painful spots. I didn't think it could work but I tried it and it was helpful. The pain relief only lasts a few hours though. I have a container of the mixture that I made a while ago and use it on my lower back (disc degeneration). I used it on my painful spots during my last Lupus/fibromyalgia flare up and it was helpful, but sometimes when the pain is everywhere (like this past weekend), it is hard to pinpoint exactly where to put it. I hate medicine as well, so maybe you could try the 20 mg along with the external application. Just a suggestion.

I hope you feel better and find the right dosage that works for you.

Kim

Old 01-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
(female)

Grapedy HB User

If it's working and you're not having any real side effects, by all means keep going up on the dose. Or you can tell your doctor how much better you feel at the 20mg and ask if you can stay there for a little while and see if it'll continue working at that dose. 40mg is the standard for FM patients, but that doesn't mean you have to take that much if a lower doseage works.

And congrats on finding something that works! Flexeril does absolutely nothing for me.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User

Flexeril makes my mouth so dry, does it affect yours that way?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
(female)

Spin8_01 HB User

yes, it makes my mouth dry. Seems to get better after a few days on the medicine.

Closed Thread