It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
(female)

shellyj HB User
Wink eye pain & blurry vision...what eye doc said

I thought I'd let ya'll know what the eye doc said today about my eye pain & blurry vision. He expained that I'm having muscle spasms in my eye muscles (makes since I have them all over) & since I work on the computer alot & do a lot of reading at work it is making my eyes even more tired. He told me to go buy a pair of over the counter reading glasses to wear at work, even though my vision is perfect. He said this may help with eye fatigue. For an eye doctor he knew quite a bit about fibro. He expained that my body is constantly fighting & of course it going to get tired easily. And the same goes for our eyes. I found my visit very interesting & thought I should share. The eye rx was a 1.0 for anyone interesting in trying this.

Shelly

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: eye pain & blurry vision...what eye doc said

hi shelly,
i have fibro in my eyes too. weird, very weird. mine showed up after eye surgery. blew the docs mind. not me tho. hope the glasses help. i find if i just close my eyes for a minute or so it helps clear my world up. mini naps for my eyes. also eye drops helped me. with the meds i take my eyes get dry.
isn't it amazing what our bodies can do? totally facinates me every time.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

This is very helpful because I showed to have really good vision, when I thought it was bad. I thought my prescription just changed a lot due to FMS, but now thanks to you, I know that it's because of eye fatigue. I'm going to get some readers too...hopefully I can find some cute ones!

Old 02-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Shelly:

Do you ever wake up with your eyes glued shut with gooky stuff? The reason I ask this is most FMSers have problems with the mucosa that lines every moist membrane of the body, including the eye. The primary reason for this is the watery secretions that keep these membrames wet become acidic and create surface burning. Eyes react with excessive tearing that dries up at night. Water evaporates leaving behind mucus and calcium phosphate which forms the sticky sand that we find in the corner of our eyes in the morning.

Blurred vision can have another cause. There are four eye muscles attached to each eyeball. They're hooked into the orbits to maintain coordination when we move our eyes. Any of these eight muscles can be affected with FMS. There will be swelling, spasm, and tenderness. The muscles will tire from trying to maintain focus because they can no longer synchronize with the other properly working muscles.

Another issue to complicate the above symptom is the lens of the eye. It is a live, gel-like structure. FMSers have problems with calcium and phospates not assimilating together in cells, with the phosphates floating randomly in the system until it finds a resting place (muscles, ligaments, etc.). This same phosphate/ion intrusion in the eye will be accompanied by water to guarantee safe dilutions. The extra water thickens the lens and alters the focal point to induce temporary nearsightedness. Eventually these intrusions are sucked out and the lens will flatten to a more farsighted state. This ever-changing lens thickness causes blurring and keeps FMSers fighting to maintain focus (tired eyes).

At other times, our eyes can become dry and red because tears do not stream out properly or mucous channels become dammed up. The inner eyelids become dry and excessive blinking starts to take over. This upset in fluid causes the eyelid to spasm and looks like a nervous tick. I get this from time-to-time and it drives me crazy. If you ever have trouble with this scenario, there are OTC brands or prescription tears such as Bion Tears, GenTeal or LacriLube which will help moisten the eye.

My husband is always floored when I have to obtain a new prescription for my eye glasses every year. It is no surprise to me! Your doctor's advice to obtain OTC glasses seems like a good idea since you may have need for a different strength in a few month's time. No sense spending a bunch of money on prescription lens since your eyes are pretty normal other than the FMS situation.

I have probably given you more information that you every needed! LOL!!

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 02-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
(female)

shellyj HB User

Thanks Kirstee for the reply & no it was not to much info. I'm like a sponge trying to learn as much as I can about this syndrome-disease...what ever you want to call it.

I don't have dry eyes, or mucus. I know what you are talking about though, because when my son was a baby I'd have to get a warm wash cloth & leave it there for a while before he could even open his eyes. He is fine now, it only happens every once in a while & he is 7 now.

Again, there is no such thing (to me) as "to much info". Thank you.

Shelly

Old 02-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
(female)

mista0316 HB User

Kirstee,

Thanks alot for the info. I am learning so much.

Everymorning my eye jumps. It drives me crazy!! It'll last for a couple of hours and then eventually I have to take a nap because they eventually start to hurt. I wear contact lens. I have a hard time seeing far. Close up isn't a problem. So, I will probably do the samething as Shelly. I will go to the Dollar store and get a pair. I am so glad that I found this group. It's the best. It is so full of great info.

Thank you all & have a great day

M

Closed Thread