It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
(female)

aboncz HB User
menstrual cramps and fibromyalgia

hello everyone! I'm new here, but I can't help but notice that many, if not most, of the people here are women. (which goes along with the statistic that more women get fibromyalgia than men)

I was wondering, does anyone else get outrageously bad menstrual cramps? For me, it's more than just the abdomen and lower back, the pain shoots down through my pelvis and my legs, and fans up my spine throughout my back (and my arms feel like lead weights). I deal with A LOT of pain normally for fibromyalgia, and throughout my life have suffered many many injuries from sports, etc. I've even just recovered from a very painful surgery... but nothing, and I mean NOTHING compares to the pain that I have the first two days of my period. It's so bad that I'm usually stuck in bed sobbing all day regardless of whether I take strong medication, wondering if I need to go to the hospital to relieve the pain or not (which I haven't yet done, but always end up considering)

Is this typical of fibromyalgia? I've also found out that I have extremely severe vaginismus, which doesn't make any sense whatsoever considering I'm a young virgin and have never been sexual abused. Does anyone else have this condition and if you do, has it affected the pain you have during your period?

I know I've already posed many questions in this post, but I have just one more: if you do have these types of problems, have you found anything that has helped? because honestly, I don't know how many more of these I can take. Every month when I get closer to getting my period I feel like I'm walking into a pool of sharks - I'm just so terrified of the pain that I'll have to endure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User
Re: menstrual cramps and fibromyalgia

Excellent question Aboncz, and I hope you get lots of responses.

Two heating pads, loads of naproxen (aleve), darvocet, and two days in bed is what I go through. I've thought about the hospital/knock me out solution too. Too much time in the waiting room without the heat to go there, though. Only thing that helps is to get the naproxen in at the very first hint of pain and don't let up on it the whole time; I take it every four hours, not six. Thermacare back heating pads help when I have to be out during that pain.

When I was young I had the vaginimus stuff; now, I will get shooting pains there but little else. Lyrica helps the shooting pains.

Last edited by baserockermom; 02-28-2008 at 08:34 AM.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

I have terrible menstrual cramps too. My doctor says that my fms and heart-shaped uterus make it worse for me. I have considered the ER too lol. The only things that help are heat, advil, and darvoset. Those 3 things make it bearible for me. My doctor wants me to take birth control pills because I have very heavy bleeding too, but bcp give me terrible and I mean terrible mood swings. I think I'm going to try the nuvaring next. my doctor said that I'm less likely to have side effects with it because the medicine doesn't pass through the liver...I'm a little apprehensive though.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
(female)

aboncz HB User

yep, I'm definitely the same with the heating pads and painkillers! at least it's good to know that this isn't some other ridiculous unrelated problem that I'm having and that it probably is just the fms.

I'm the same way with birth control pills. I tried yaz once to help with symptoms and it made me crazy. and not just a little crazy, I mean manic and suicidal crazy.

have you guys heard of any birth control pills that maybe aren't as bad with side effects other than the ring?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User

wow i cant beleave u just said that ive had severe mentstal cramps for years and never made the connection. my pain starts in my upper back downn my left leg it radiates where i use to have an ovary. sometimes i cant walk at all im 48 and waiting on a period right now scared to death of that pain.i usually try to knock myself out for the first 2 days.i also get even more cloudy headed than i usually amm and trust me its pretty bad.im kinda dissapointed in my dr. who kinda brushed me off years ago. ive had these pains since around 36,longer really but thats when i really started to be aware of it.im so sorry if this is what your feeling,i use to use a heating pad in fact i think im gonna try that again.i thought when i had my ovary out that would solve my problem but seems it wasnt so.ive gone down hill since.i ant really move my left side very well i hope im not scaring you thats the first time i heard anybody else say that about their period i thought i was alone.hope your feeling better.the best advice i could give is to try and keep the stressers out of your life,even if their your relatives,that what i should have done.ah regrets. mary

Old 02-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

sherryrenee0423, ablation is awesome. I went through the thickest product every 20 minutes for weeks before ablation. The gyn used something to burn out my uterus and now there is no more bleeding. Just enough spotting for me to know I'm having a period. Doesn't help the cramping/pain though.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

Thanks for the ablation suggestion. My mom had it and loved it. I'm only 24 though and I want to have a few kiddos...I will definitely be getting after that though!!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
(female)

Grapedy HB User

Sounds like endemetriosis or ovarian cysts to me. I'm unlucky enough to have both, plus a tilted uterus. My only salvation is birth control pills. They knocked my period down from 10-14 days of agony and flow with no rhyme or reason to the schedule, to 4.5 days of flow and one day of agony. Plus I could now set a watch by my period. I don't know how I ever lived without them!

The one I take is a very mild one.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
(female)

JJ1 HB User

My cramping seems worse since I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but I am 49 and perimenopausal and just thought it was part of getting older. My periods are also very heavy and I have trouble with anemia. My GYN recommended the Mirena IUD which may be a good thing for those of you who still want children but want to reduce or eliminate your monthly flow. Unfortunately I just found out today that my insurance won't pay for the Mirena so I am having to consider the endometrial ablation. The doctor told me that when the uterine lining is destroyed with the ablation, it can make it harder in the future to detect uterine cancer, so that worries me some. I just need to decide whether to pay out of my own pocket for the Mirena ($700) or go with the ablation.

Closed Thread