It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User
JOBS--best and worst for FM sufferers

I've often wanted to get back into the workforce on a very small scale. I miss my business that I was able to run from my home--database management. Now adays, I think of that job that Sandra Bullock had on "While You Were Sleeping". I want that job. I think I could handle that job. What jobs do y'all do or did y'all do? What jobs stink if you have FM and what jobs are great with the ups and downs?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
(female)

hatefibro67 HB User
Re: JOBS--best and worst for FM sufferers

Baserockermom - Hi again - - are we having a better day?

I work in international & domestic customer service. It is very demanding, very busy and I love it! I love that I can escape into my work and not have to think about anything else - - because it is so busy it consumes me and I am good at it. Not great though with FM as it is very stressful, lots of deadlines - lots of demanding customers and lots of sitting which is not good for my back pain that runs down the cheek of arse and into my leg.

My husband and I are also trying to get a home based business off the ground. We started 2 yrs ago selling wax and detail spray for cars as distributos. Long story short - we were having communication problems with the owner, could not get product when we needed it etc, etc. So we hired a chemist did a bunch of research and now have our own formula. So now I am in charge of the books, inventory, creating labels, business cards and a web site (I have no idea how to do that - and I'm hoping I'n up for the challenge). He is in charge of sales. The one thing I have to say about him is that he is a go getter - - I wish I had half of his energy. We have given out samples and already have a long list of customers (just started with samples 2 wks ago) waiting on our first shipment. If this works out he'll most likely quit his full time job and do this full time.

I know he would like me to quit as well - but as bad as I feel I don't think that I would be motivated enough if I didn't have to be someplace by a certain time.

A job outside of the home is good for me right now - I'm loyal to my customers so it motivates me to push myself to get up, shower and get out the door to get to work.

I think this is a very personal choice - think long and hard before you make any decisions and do what is best for YOU right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2008, 04:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

Much better, thanks, hatefibro. And thanks for the input about your job. Sounds fun and after hearing how busy you are, I feel fortunate you took time to reply! Hope the business goes exceptionally well. Sounds really promising.

Last edited by baserockermom; 03-07-2008 at 04:15 AM.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Hi guys. I often wonder about jobs too. My boys are 2 and 4, so I have a couple of years before my 2 year old starts kindergarten, but I would have to do something where I could sit. If I am on my feet for over 2-3 hours, I am done. I pretty much have to push my body to do anything past 5p, at 7p I am done, and in pain, and have to sit or lay down.

I don't know.... it is kind of fun to think about it. I have done at lot of cool jobs. I did my internship at disney, I was a flight attendant, and then worked in management in car rentals. I loved all those jobs but, they were physical and I can not do them anymore. I have always wanted to learn and be a medical transcriptionist from home.

I am home at lot, almost a homebody some days. So I know what hate fibro says about having less motivation when working at home or being at home. When I have a busy day with dr. appt. or lots of errands to do I am more motivated to push myself to get more done with the house. It is almost a challenge, ok I have 30 min, let's see how much I can clean the house and I try to get the boys involved too.

I hope your business booms, and I hope it works out really well for you and your husband. How exciting!

I have stayed home for 5 years, I am not sure if my husband wants me to work, but I often worry about finding a boss who would be patient about me putting my kids first, and about me not feeling good somedays. Even when they go to school they would still be my job to take care of them, like if they are sick and need to come home, or school vacations. Maybe I could work in their school or be a volunteer a couple of hours a day. I am not sure, like I said it is kind of exciting to daydream, but also a little scary when you have not worked for awhile. We will see.

Good post, baserockermom, again. I love getting up in the morning, waiting for my body to get going, and reading and writing back to you all.

Thank you so much!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

My mom has fibro and she is a hairstylist...talk about a struggle! She only does that like 3 days a week now because she can't stand for too long without her legs giving out on her. She also volunteers at my sister's school and she really likes that.

As for me, I am an exec assistant and it is good some days and bad others. It's usually bad when I have to be away from my desk to do physical things (I'm overseeing a few projects at the moment). I really want to go into teaching art. I know I would be on my feet, but I think I could find ways to get around standing. Plus, I would be out of there by 4 and get more vacations to recharge my batteries. The thing that is the hardest for me only having 5 days of vacation a year. So, I would suggest a job where you can take a few days off here and there to get some rest so you don't burn out your body and your mind. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
(female)

Grapedy HB User

Kass, I'm a medical transcriptionist. Go for it! Check out the Career Step program. Just Google that and it'll pop up at the very top of the list. It is a very flexible job, and most of the time you get to set your own hours.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

Grapelady I was looking into doing that MT when I retire. Doesn't it take a lot of typing to make any money?? Some days I type well others my arms are tired. I love the idea though. I looked into the other mt school, but honestly spending $3000 to go to class for a year (at home) and then make $7 an hour???? Am I right or wrong there? I would still love to do it but I need to make more money then $1000 a month.

I dispatch for a major pd. I am light duty due to my injury. Some days good but usually not. My arms are tired my brain is tired and I have no rest. Noone here cares nor do they know you hurt. Good think is we get lots of breaks.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

Yeah, Grapedly, that does sound like a nice job. Hatefibro, the way you are with your job is the way I felt when I worked. I loved helping people; I hated trying to get out the door of my house in the morning (it was a push and then some!), but once I was at work, I really liked the action. Glad you're still in the game, doing your 20 hour days!!! A hair dresser job, sherryrenee, can you think of a worse thing for someone with a condition that can cause hand/arm and feet pain? I did work closer to your's sherryrenee. I worked in the office support industry, sometimes as an employee and for a long time I did work from home with it. The last job I had was at my former church. I volunteered for two years and loved it; they had a big turnover and asked me to manage the office. The ladies there already really resented it--they'd be there forever and were passed over. I went into it being told they didn't want the position... what a nightmare that was, but I loved the work. I especially loved working with the youth and elderly. Now being a dispatch for a police department, backinthesaddle... that would seem like really interesting work, enough so to keep even me awake!

What other jobs, folks???

Last edited by baserockermom; 03-11-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
(female)

jenilee70 HB User

I work in an office from 9-5 and my job involves a lot of project management, international projects, deadlines and travel.

The travel can be a change of pace from the daily grind, but usually I feel worse physically after sitting in small spaces in airplanes, carrying luggage and sleeping in other beds than my own, even though I travel with my pillow. So, as much as I love to travel and visit other countries, I'm not sure that a job that involves much travel really is good for fibromyalgia sufferers.

Sometimes I can completely lose myself in my projects, but other days take forever and I'm miserable. When I have to teach seminars or sit in long meetings I tend to get really tired. I would prefer a job that I could set my hours at least in part, instead of always working from 9-5, Monday through Friday, no matter how I feel. Don't know what that job would be, exactly.

I think that the worst job for FM sufferers, at least for me, would be as a kindergarten teacher or working in a store, with the noise and everything. A dream job would preferably involve me floating in a pool and getting massages - perhaps a magazine or travel writer specializing in reviewing spas? If only such a job existed and I could get it!

Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

Yeah, hey, Jenilee, if you get that dream job, will you let me know if they have openings? I agree about the travel. I dropped a suitcase on a lady's head cause I didn't realize how much strength had gotten zapped from my arms. I also nearly ran my seat buddy out with the air blowing. I can't take stuff on my arms and I can't take stuffy; same with my feet/calves, but less so. What ever is mixed in with the pain will not tolerate the travel conditions you talked of. Don't see how you do all the head work... that's what scared me the very most when it first started--the not being able to count on my head.

Ever see Menopause -- the off broadway show? Apparently people going thru menopause suffer similar stuff. It was a hoot. I love little kids, but you're right, the noise with a migraine might be a tough mix.

What other jobs everyone?

Last edited by baserockermom; 03-12-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
(female)

Grapedy HB User

I spent about 3 months working part time in a craft store last fall and I felt worse during that 3 months than I'd ever felt before. I was unemployed for just over 2 months waiting on my training class to start, rather than push myself through another 6 weeks of agony and exhaustion.

How much you make as an MT is totally dependent on how you fast you type. If you can't type at least 45 words per minute, don't even think about trying to be an MT because you won't make enough to buy a tank of gas. It also depends on the company you're working for as to how much you make. I'm currently making $13 an hour. I still live at home with my parents, so I don't really have any bills or major expenses.

To be perfectly honest, I'm doing it for the health insurance. If it wasn't for that I'd just be doing it part time.

I would be the world's worst teacher, with or without fibro. No matter what grade I had 95% of my students would be dead before the first week of school was over.

Last edited by Grapedy; 03-13-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 AM   #12
(female)

mindi57 HB User

Hello to All, I work as a private Nanny for a wonderful family with a 3 year old boy.Some days I have to push myself but on the other hand I have the benefit to do with our day whatever I feel like I'm up to.I try hard to stay active and do outings with this little guy often so that on my off days we can slow down and its not a problem.I know this isn't for everybody but for me its the best job for this crazy condition.I have always worked with children in large facilities before but it got way to hard to keep up with all the work load and that many children at one time ....so for now I feel very blessed to have this Nanny job! I do alot of praying for good days and on bad ones pray for patients with myself to allow for the rest I need and the strength to endure the flair up at hand.I would love to hear from all of you for support too! If I can help anyone else let me know...we need fibro friends! May God bless you all with a manageable Day! Mindi

Old 03-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I haven't worked for about 4yrs. now but through all the years when I did work, the job I liked the best was as a pbx operator. I know not everyone knows what that is, but really all you do is answer the phones. My job description was basically 'answer and transfer'! No kidding! I worked for a hotel answering all the incoming phone calls and at one time all the phone calls from within the hotel. We had 225 rooms and the system had not been updated when I started so we had to take messages by hand. In other words if room 523 wanted the 10 people from his company to meet in the lobby for dinner a 6:00pm, I had to call them all and give them the message. We also did personal wake up calls at that time. I use to answer 150 phone calls an hour!!!!!!!! No kidding........that was after the updated system when people could call the rooms directly and leave messages. When I said 'answer and transfer' that is what I did and I did it very well, got all kinds of 'cudos' from the higher ups. I guess that is because I liked what I did. I was sitting down and I didn't have to deal with all the problems and junk, my job was to say a very fast greeting and move the call to someone else.

Of course all that changed as management changed and the job became way too stressful and eventually it was eliminated. No kidding, I moved to the front desk which was awful.....standing for 8 or 9 hrs. and on top of that two of us had to check people in do all the posting etc. and answer the phones at the same time. Not me, I was not going to do the work of 3people for what they paid me to do one job. I went part time and eventually quit when braveman retired.

Some hotels still have operators to answer the phones. Or there are nursing homes that have people at the front desk or banks. Not your exec kind of job but not so busy and stressful and you get to sit down and you have scheduled breaks and lunch to move or stretch etc.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:43 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

I want that nursing home front desk job! I love kids and I love elderly folks.

I used to answer that many calls an hour, Glojer, after the gal before me had a nervous breakdown trying to do it. I liked it, too. That was way back in the day.

Mindy, I love kids but I've always been afraid of parents like me! That sounds like a great job you have.

Grapedy, If you type about 85-90 wpm, how much can you make per hour doing MT?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 AM   #15
(female)

Grapedy HB User

I don't know actually. I get paid by the hour, not by the line. But that's not very common.

It all depends on what company you're working for, how much they pay per line and whether or not you have a minimum line count per pay period. The company that I work for, based on their pay rate and minimum line count you're looking at $1600 a month before taxes. But the faster you type, the more lines you can do which means more money.

I know it's possible to make $75-90K a year as a transcriptionist, but that's with several years of experience under your belt and a good line rate.

Closed Thread