It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
(female)

Lost Robin HB User
Joints or Muscles -- Where is Most of Your Pain?

Hello everyone,

I still wonder if I really do have fibromyalgia or some other autoimmune illness. I've noticed on these new FM commercials that they mention muscle pain but I don't recall them mentioning joint pain.

While I do experience different types of pain, including muscle, joint and neuropathic pain, most of my pain is in my joints.

I also have such extreme fatigue that I fall asleep in the strangest places (even on the john). I also have a multitude of other symptoms.

My rheumie has tested me several times for RA and Lupus (among other things) and plans on testing me again in the future as sometimes these things don't show up for quite a while (and sometimes never). He has told me for over a year now that he feels I am developing "something more systemic".

But as I mentioned, I'm really wondering where the majority of your pain is?

Thanks,

Robin

Old 03-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #2
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User
Re: Joints or Muscles -- Where is Most of Your Pain?

Robin have you been tested for Lyme Disease?

I have muscle, joint, and tendon pain. My blood tests show that I don't have inflammation in my joints, but it sure feels like it most days. Sometimes I notice my muscles hurt more than my joints and other days it switches.

Last edited by sherryrenee0423; 03-09-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Hi, Robin, I have pain in my joints, and my muscles. I am not sure I have neuropathic pain. Most of my pain is in my fingers, feets, tmj, and knees right now. When I am in bad shape, like a flare up, stress, the weather, or even when I have over worked my body, I feel it in my lower arm and lower leg muscles. I have pain everyday, and in the morning I can barely walk. It takes me about 1-2 hours to get going. Then at about 4-5pm I have to take it easy, and at 7pm I am done. It is a constant battle physically and emotionally. Do you have migraines? I do, I get them about 2-4 times a week. How did you pain symptoms start out? I am curious too, so I am sorry if I am asking a lot of questions.

Kass

Old 03-10-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
(female)

Ishla HB User

Except for the migranes... Kass could have been my twin as far as a daily routine. My worst pain spot though is my feet. Constant burning pain and periodically feeling like I've been "caned" make it impossible for me to stand more than a few minutes at a time.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:12 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Ishla, I am sorry you and I have to suffer the same way, but I am thankful I am not alone. Luckily, my doctor and I finally have a regimen that works for now. I am able to have about 4-5 hours of time that I can do stuff, clean, go out, walk on treadmill etc., and then I am done. I have noticed that I take my LA med at 7 a.m and I do not get the full 12 hours, I get about 8-9 hours and by 4 pm my feet are throbbing and my body is stiff and sore to get around. I talked to the nurse the other day and she said it was okay to take LA med around 4pm. I noticed such a difference in my nighttime activity, I am not done for it and confined to the couch, I can still do some stuff.

Ishla, what works for you? Is your family helpful and supportive? I have decided (this morning) that I am going to try and not get upset today, about anything. No matter what my husband says or what happens today, I am going to try and react calm, if I get upset I get so much worse. My pain goes through the roof, and when I go to bed my legs are hurting and jumpy (restless). I also trigger a migraine, and I am just a mess. It is amazing how 1 person has such an effect on my health. Today, I am not going to bite and just take care of my boys, 2 and 4, and myself. I am so greatful for my medications working, and my husband is dead against them.

I am curious as to how long you have had fibromyalgia, and what was your battle with it like in the beginning?

Thank you for your time.

Kass

Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

hi robin....i have spine, joint disease, and fibro. when i asked my rheumy how i could tell what kind of flareup i was in, he said i could'nt. also said that fibro is joint and muscle disease.

hope this helps some....feel better.....bevann

Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
(female)

Ishla HB User
Post Re: Joints or Muscles -- Where is Most of Your Pain?

This is mainly to Kass... Hmmm. where to begin.
I was officially diagnosed just about a year ago. This January, I finally got to see a Rheumy and got a confirmed dx on the Fibro. She also said I had mild to moderate Osteo Arthritis in my hips/lower spine, and even though I am not diabetic, I have what is known as diabetic neuropathy... that's what causes most of the burning pain in my feet and the regular jolts of electrical shock pains that "surprise" me periodically throughout my day. (Those can strike just about any part of my body.. but mostly my feet) I found out that I was very low on Vit D levels, and low on B12 levels. I am now on prescription strength Vit D, OTC Bcomplex, Lyrica, Synthroid, Tramadol, a generic Effexor (couldn't afford the real thing, and this one works so much better for me), and my BP meds. The grinding noises that my knees and elbows make is also the Osteo. This additional medication has done little so far, but I have only been on the Lyrica and vitamins for about a month and a half, and my area is being pounded by cold fronts... and one of my most evil triggers is a cold, wet front moving into my area, therefore I will likely be another month or two before I can make an honest judgment about how this is working, or not.
I believe that I have had Fibro my entire life. Research shows that many, if not most FMer's were born with this. My problems began my first birthday... I had pneumonia (sp), and then got it every winter thereafter for the next 10 or 12 years of my life. When I was a toddler, my parents had to massage my legs to stop the horrible cramping enough to let me go to sleep at night. This was every night for several years until my legs got stronger. I started having fatigue problems in my teens, and really long, heavy periods (also a red flag to FMer's) Then nothing really stands out for me other than always being a little sore (just thought it was a normal thing for me back then because it wasn't especially painful, just annoying) after the day, and the awful fatigue. I was hooked on anything I could get my hands on to boost energy back in my late 30's. I probably made gen sing dealers rich because I practically lived off of it, just trying to make it through the daily routines.
Then, the ringer for me. Just before our 20th anniversary, my ex dropped me like a hot potato for a younger, more energetic gal. It hit hard because I had thought we had a good, if not great, marriage. I believe that the emotional stain that set off my major symptoms came from that lovely incident. I think I had a full blown nervous breakdown.
I got through that, and within a year met my current husband, and just about the time we got married, I started having problems with my hips. They were beginning to ache horribly, and for no apparent reason. I had to quit my job as a waitress it was getting so bad. I took off a few months and then got another job, only to start having problems with my lower back spasming and trying to constantly go out. About that time a better paying, less physical job popped up and I took it... but I eventually had to quit that one within about 8 months because I began having terrible foot pain, back pain, and hip pain, and now a new one... I was starting to have breathing problems because my shoulders and upper chest would get so tight that I had trouble being able to draw in enough air. Also about this time I began having choking problems.. this was about 7 years ago... and the choking was because my thyroid was swelling. You don't need a doctor to know you have a thyroid problem when you develop a goiter, but my regular doc only did the basic thyroid test on me and said I was normal... and that it was all in my head (sound familiar?) I fired him... my current PC took 9 vials of blood the first time and tested every aspect of my thyroid levels... now I am on 175mcg of synthroid.. all in my head eh....
Anyway.... I am pretty much just living day by day now as all my symptoms have settled in and are quite comfortable with me... they don't seem to want to leave any time soon. Sorry for the book here, but your question just seemed to need a better explanation than just... "Oh, I just seemed to get tired a lot"... lol.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Ishla, as I read your story some of it sounds familiar, especially the leg pains as a child. I has them horribly, and I remember complaining to my Mom and she said they were growing pains. I have always had horrible pms, and over the years, I am only 31, they got worse. I would say I had pmdd and most months I would only have about 7 days of a break from the hormonal, emotional issues. I went on lexapro for that and it made a huge difference in me being able to handle anxiety and stress. I was on it for about 2 years, got pregnant with child 2, and started it again the day I gave birth. I also have suffered from migraines since I was a child.

My mother passed away when I was 23, and I so miss her. I wish she was here for so many reasons, but one reason is I know I am a spitting image of her. She had horrible pms, migraines, and she often complained of body pain. I wish I was more there for her than I was.

Anyway, 7 years later, and I have 2 boys, 2 and 4. I stay at home with the boys and try my best to take care of them, my husband, and the house. This summer my migraines got worse, and so did the guilt of treating them. I was treating migraines sometimes everyday, or every other day. Then in September my tmj flared up horribly. My dentist and doctors believed I had a medical problem that needed surgery. My tmj had gone really far, and they said they do not normally see it this bad. I have had tmj flareups for the last 7 years, since my mom died suddenly, and I got married, but never this bad. I never took the time to get it checked out. Work, and then children came first, and I could always get them to calm down with heat and ibuprofen. This time though it did not work, it was excruciating pain. The pain went into my neck and shoulders. I was being treated with pain meds and muscle relaxants. Finally with the help of muscle relaxants I could open my mouth. In October, my hands started bothering me, and I had a hard time moving especially in the morning. Somedays my whole body hurt. My doctor felt is was my body increasing cortisol because of stress from my marriage. My husband did not make it easy on me once I started feeling terrible. It was horrible. My surgeries have all been denied by my insurance company.

I have been diagnosed with migraines, tmjd, myofascial pain syndrome, and now fibromyagia. I have pain everday. It is worse in the morning and at night. Is yours or anybody else's that way? I am on a LA pain med now, and muscle relaxants. I am greatful for the LA med, but scared about what my future brings, and the battle I will have with fibro. I am taking one day at a time. I do feel a lot of it is hereditary, and I got a lot of it from my mom. Do you have any family members with fibromyalgia too?

Thanks for writing me back. I don't want anybody to have pain, but I feel a lot better when I have people to write to and talk about it.

Kass

Old 03-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Just something to think about... You also have trigger points at the top of your chest above your breast and also in your elbows and knees which alot of people are unaware of which would make your joints hurt also... Fibro includes muscles, tendons and joints so you need to remember that... Migraines go along with it much of the time... Have you been prescribes anything for it??? My doctor prescribes Topamax for it.... I started out taking 100 mg a day and that worked for quite some time but just had to have it increased to 100 mg 2 x per day... So it is something to think about...

There are other trigger points besides the one's mentioned above but thought maybe you weren't aware of those and that would explain how the joints are involved... The way I see it, people like us seem to find more symptoms then the doctor's as we live with it each and every day....

I too, also belive weather and stress plays a huge roll in it...

I think I remember someone's husband didn't like the meds that were prescribed to you, don't feel lonely as my husband gives me a really hard time however, he doesn't have to live in my body either.

I wish you all a pain free day... Jenn

Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Yes, I just have body pain all over sometimes. If I stand on my feet too long, they start to ache, and then throb. The next day they are sore and swollen. It is too much to write. We all have some of the same and some different ones. I bought my first fibromyalgia book the other day and got into it today. It fits me perfectly.

Yes, I might be that person who was talking about husband. I am so sorry we have to deal with that.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #11
(female)

Ishla HB User

I only have one confirmed family member who has Fibro. A first cousin who is about 6 years older than I am... I am 47. There are numerous family members who have had similar symptoms that were not dx'ed as fibro, and my Grandmother had RA, which I don't, as of yet, have, however the Rheumy said I am already showing the signs in my fingers that I will probably get that too soon. My fingers are already begining to deform slightly. Granny's fingers were bent down like she was permanently in the bottom of a wave, and toward her thumbs. She could only hold items with the gap between her thumb and the first knuckle of her index finger.. if it wouldn't fit, she could usually use both hands kindof like a set of tongs or similar. She was such a talented oil painter before her hands curled up... I sure miss her.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:22 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User

Kass,I dont mean to be rude,but noticed you said you get 4-5 hours where you can do stuff,thats all I can manage also when I told my dr,GP that is,he said I should be functional for 16 hours,I was really shocked 16 hours not on my best day,I can move for 6 hours and that is that Ive tried after 6 I need a nap.I feel like a toddler.I cant work anymore because I cant stand for very long,I feel like Iam young but trapped in an 80 year old body.Does anybody else feel like this?I keep thinking Iam gonna get better does any body have some inspirational words I can kling to.dont want to complain but it is scary. Marywoo

Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User
Wink Re: Joints or Muscles -- Where is Most of Your Pain?

this is directed to BASEROCKERMOM I dont know what happened,but I MISS YOU.please hurry back. marywoo

Old 03-11-2008, 05:12 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Marywoo, why would you think you were being rude?

Yes, I have about from 10a-3p where I can do things. Now I have to be very careful what I do. Yesterday I walked on the treadmill for only 20 min. at 2.5 mph, and the bottom of my legs the muscles were throbbing and I was done for a couple of hours. I had to sit on the couch and use heating pad, heating throw, muscle relaxant and breakthrough meds to calm my legs down. I think it was also due to the day before I deep cleaned my house for about 2 hours. So I have to limit myself.

Yes it is scary, I cannot stand for too long either. We have to do what we can and the best we can, that is it. Please write me back, I am not sure what you meant in the beginning of the post.

Kass

Old 03-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User
Smile Re: Joints or Muscles -- Where is Most of Your Pain?

Kass by the beginning of post did you meanabout the dr telling me I should be able to function for 16 hours?I should have mentioned that wad before being diagnosed with these ailments.I should ask how long he expects me to function now? Iam sorry if I was unclear u can ask me any thing ?ask away. marywoo

Closed Thread