It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
(female)

doxie1 HB User
Question about Fibro symptoms?

Hi, everyone

I am new to the board and I have a question. When I first was diagnosed with FM four years ago the pain was horrific and I went through a period of leg spasms so bad that I wasn’t able to walk. I would cramp up in the middle of a stride and my knee would lock and down I would go in sever pain. I was exhausted a lot of the time and had to take frequent naps just to get through the day. Eventually the cramps and fatigue went away and I haven’t had them in it seams like for ever, although I still suffered with immense pain.

Now just to give you a little back ground of what my life was like at that time. My fiancé and I were in the middle of moving into a home that he got back from his x-wife after his divorce. He hadn’t lived in the home for several years. His x-wife and step daughter lived in the home and when she left to get married she left it a disaster. She had four cats and a dog that was never taken out side to do its business, nor was there any litter boxes for the cats to use. She didn’t know how to use a dish washer let alone how to operate the washing machine or vacuum cleaner. Needless to say the house needed to be cleaned, sanitized, and remodeled. Thank god his son lived with us and wasn’t subjected to that kind of filth.

Now my fiancé is a wonderful person he is the kindest, most loving, and caring individual you would ever meet. He is sensitivity to how I feel and what I am going through. He has stuck with me through every crying jag and every high and low of this disease. He is intelligent and very mechanically inclined. However, when it comes to remodeling jobs, Joe handyman he is NOT... so most of all the remodeling was left for me to do. I was also working a full time, fast past, stressful job that had me on my feet all evening long. I was also still recovering from a horrific dog attack that had put me in the hospital for several days a few months prior to the move.

Back to the present my life is much simpler now there is only the two of us at home along with a Daschund dog and a Gray cat. His son now 13ys has decided to live with his mother, so there isn’t much house work to do just the normal stuff like dishes, cooking, cleaning, and laundry. I pace myself so that I am not overwhelmed with any one chore per day. My three children are grown adults and come in once or twice a week to lend me a hand with any major chores that need done. I have no job because it was much too physical, mentally and emotionally stressful for me to handle with the FM and other conditions that I have. Nonetheless I still seem to suffer with constant pain and frequent migraines.

A few weeks ago I came down with the flu and was in bed for an entire week it really put me out of action. Since then I have been having more frequent breakthrough pain I am getting the leg spasm back again. I can not get through a complete day with out a nap. I don’t sleep well, however, since I’ve had the flu I have been sleeping much better at night (Yeah).

This is confusing me though, because on average I get maybe three to four hours of sleep and don’t typically have to take a nap in the middle of the day, just lie down to rest. Anyways my question is does the fibro symptoms seem to cycle and get worse? I am noticing that the symptoms that I had in the beginning are starting to reappear and seam to be more painful and upsetting then before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Doxie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 02:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User
Re: Question about Fibro symptoms?

,..Iam sorry i keep getting off subject my mind is foggy,I also get the leg pain and spasmsHi Doxie, first of all Iam so sorry for your diadnosis,but isnt much better knowing your not crazy,I was also just dianosed in dec,I think iam still in shock.anyway the situation with your husbands ex,sounds horrible,but honestly i cant help but think something was wrong with her also,maybe depression,but glad you and your husband have moved on,iam not real framiliar with all the answers,but i do know fibro has flares which could be what your going through,there have been days when i feel pretty good and some days espcially when it rains or i am under even the tinest stress.u may-be having a flare.when something stressful happens I get physically ill,I cant explain it it just happens i have no control over it.you are lucky your kids have moved out,how did you manage that? I love my kids to death,but would really love them if they moved next door LOL.sorry for getting off subject,I also get leg cramps and spasms,they are so bad I have to jump out of bed,I took a walk the other day and had to come home because my calfs tightend up so bad,iam lucky i was close to home,ive been trying to strch ouy my legs in the morning now,and randomly thrughout the day,I cant work any more either,and that is one of my worst fears,I dont drive so Iam afraid of that wicked depression I strech my legs out by putting it up on the table and leaning into to the knee,it really seems to be helping,my dr put me on perscription vit D once a week and the legs cramps do seem to be getting better,he also perscribed Lyrica which has helped nerve damage immensley,but i just noticed Iam getting rash all over my body,I really hope its not from lyrica,because at this point I will just learn to live with rash. Iam sorry i messed up the top of this post I must have hit the wrong butten this is the most time Ive ever spent on computer and its nice to talk to others with similar problems,I really hope you feel beter doxie,but please check with your dr. there are alt of very helpful people on this board you are truly blessed to have stumbled on here,its really saved my life. I hope you are feeling better and write back if you get a chance,if not thats okay too. Marywoo

Old 03-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Leg cramps- Vit. D, and probably some calcium/magnesium.
I would work with a doctor on this. If you have Vit. D deficiency, like I had, you need a higher dose than you can buy at the store. Also, if you don't have a deficiency (I didn't notice where you lived, but if it's somewhere sunny you might not) you don't want to take Vit. D. So have a blood test.

I sometimes think fibro likes to cause pain and just when you think you have it under control it jumps to another area. I have had a cycle of headaches, sinus problems, gastro problems, sore muscles, general fatigue, etc.

If I understand you right, you had the symptoms somewhat under control, and then you moved into the house and repairing it has sent you into more pain? Is that correct?

That seems like an extremely stressful situation. And I think I would get everyone on this board to agree- stress aggravates fibro like crazy.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

You asked...... : my question is does the fibro symptoms seem to cycle and get worse?' the answer is....It can cycle and it can get worse or not. Depends on each person.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
(female)

doxie1 HB User

Thank you for all the answer thus far, I live in a climate that is cold and snowy part of the year Dreary Erie. I am always cold and or hot and you would swear I live in either Alaska or Hawaii the way I dress at any give in time. LOL...

Four years ago when I was under a lot of stress while remodeling the home that is when I had full blown fibro symptoms, and they seam to be re-appearing again.

I just had blood test ran since I just change doc again..... (old doc kinda gave me an attitude when I ask for stronger meds since I was only taking percription Ibuprofen and Lexapro) so I fired him and got a new one. Every thing been fine up to that point. Blood test came back fine no high iron (I have Hemochromatosis as well) the only thing that was off was my cholesterol it was a little high but I am working on lowering that with diet and the dreaded exercise.

I get a lot of sunlight since I have a dog and he always wants to be out side. I just dress in my snow pants and out we go to the back yard. I sit in the sun while he plays and does his thing. Also In the summer my fiance and I are avid boaters and I re-fuse to give it up no matter how much pain I am in.

I do get quite a bit of exercise in the sumer more so then now. A few years ago a Rhumie suggested that I start Kayaking to work all my Muscles. I will admit I was a little skeptical, and the thought of getting into the thing let alone moving the paddle seamed to be asking for a lot of pain. Well I did try it and it wasn't half bad... it ended up being very relaxing and when I would get tired my fiance would pull me in his kayak and he would do all the work. LOL... well I just got up from a nap and I am still tired so back to bed I go... thanks Doxie

Closed Thread