It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
(male)

quickhandsrob HB User
Cool Theory on Fibro

Hey all,
I will say first of all I don't know how plausable this is, but I have a basic theory on fibro. My mother has had fibromyalsia for about 9 years, and I had been bouncing thoughts off of her and a friend who knows a bit about medical. So essentially here's the theory...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of you with fibro were most likely very active at one point, and had a trauma that caused you to be very inactive very quick. My mother's case, for example, is that her fibro showed up following a hysterectimin (I know I chopped that spelling up...my apologies). Prior to that she was an extremely active waitress for Champion Billiards Cafe.
Now...the reference is think of a car traveling at 100mph for a prolonged period. That car goes from 100mph to a dead stop in under a second. That is the proposed catalyst. Essentially what I'm thinking is this...
Doctors, first of all, can't find a solid source because the source is rarely in the same place twice. In the case of my mother her source would be in the abdomin area where she had her procedure done. What I'm thinking that happens is that the trauma causes the Central Nervous System to get "frozen in time". It never slows down to compensate for the change in activity. Doctors can't find the source, however, because the source is not in the brain. It is where the trauma took place. The brain symptoms are just that...symptoms.
The malfunction of the CNS triggers several things. The first thing to note is, if this were the case, the body has to do something with the excessive nerve impulses. The Endocrine Glandular System is a majorly affected area. The CNS is over-stimulating the hormonal glands, which results in alot of the symptoms (fibro fog, etc). This may also present a reason why males have harsher symptoms. Males have a higher, by nature, secretion of testosterone which is causing even more over-stimulation.
Also, the nerve line is not able to handle the over-abundance of nerve impulses. The knots and muscle restriction would be from nerve impulses "jumping off the nerve line" and storing in the muscles. Basically think of the muscles becoming like over-charged batteries.
The body is not healing during sleep because the hormone that heals wear and tear is not being secreted properly. The reason for this is in the brain patterns. Instead of going from Alpha to Beta, etc it ends up being (to coin the term) High Alpha to Alpha, etc.
The hormone that controls pain sensitivity is also a major factor. It becomes over-secreted which causes impulses to, instead of hitting 1 pain receptor, to hit multiple receptors thus amplifying the pain in general.
That is a bit of an overview of my thoughts. I don't mean to try to say that is what it is, as I'm not really a trained doctor or anything of that nature. I figured, however, that it would be better to put this out in the open as I want to do what I can to help (I see what my mother goes for, and my prayers are with anyone who has this condition). Any constructive criticism or comments are much appreciated. Have a great and blessed day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User
Re: Theory on Fibro

Quickhandsrob, I'd buy that. I was completely healthy until I got engaged. All the stress and excitement collided to trigger migraines from that point on. In 1992, an awful hurricane came through our town and a lot of us ended up with debilitating upper respiratory illnesses. So I went from being a business owner managing migraines to being 50% disabled. Finally got somewhat beyond that, never the same, but beyond it. In 1998, I was in a serious car accident and my story then follows your mom's. So yeah, major things, worse health. Interesting theory about the cns... will have to research that.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

What a caring person to take the time to not only think out a theory about what your mom has, but to post it on a message board. You are actually bringing a tear to my eye.

I hope someone in the science field is trying to figure this out. I could be wrong, but fibro doesn't seem to have the "cure fibro" support that other illnesses have.

Thank you!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
(female)

doxie1 HB User

Interesting theory, I believe mine was triggered when I was attacked by a Rottweiler while going through a nasty divorce taking my final exams in college, and working full time remodeling a home and Dealing with my X and my fiance X. Plus having to explain why i was divorcing their father to my some what adult children.

SO yeah you could say I went from 100mph to 0mph in two seconds flat.... thanks for your input and if no one has told you thanks for being so supportive and caring and understanding of your mothers condition.

You are truly an

Doxie

Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User

Quickhandsrob, that theory is ver interesting and very impressive,sounds pretty accurat to me, my symtoms definately got worse after oomperectomy and my activity went from speeding bus to real slow boat.I remeber trying to tell people after that surgery that I felt like someone cut my gas plug,I have deteriorated worse and worse from that paticular time,I wonder if it has anything to do with ovaries,my mind has not been the same since that when I first had the surgery.I could not remember how to make meatloaf,and the strange thing was my neighbor had the same surgery and she could not rember how to make meatloaf,isnt that strange,she also sais she could not remember how to drive car, she went back to the gyno and had full hsterectomy,and was put on hormones,she said that gave her her memorie back,just something to think about,but I do not beleave in coincidence,and that meatloaf thing freaked me out.what do you think? you shound like a very intelligent girl do you see where iam going with this?anyway your mom is very lucky to have you you sound like a great daughter,try to avoid gyncological surgery,I have not been the same since.Let me know what u think? Marywoo

Old 03-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
(male)

quickhandsrob HB User

Hello all,
Thanks for your support for my theory. Another part I failed to mention, that I was reminded of by the mention of weather, is the humidity causing further problems. Low pressure + moisture equals more pain from my understanding. My thoughts on that is that the low pressure system is pushing the moisture through the pores and into the muscle, which...well...we all know what happens when you mix electricity with water. And voila.
I have to say, though, I am a guy...lol. No worries on the mistake, though. It happens. As far as the theory goes, and its plausability...I take no credit, but give it only to God. I have no idea how this theory came about, but it just came to my mind.
Part of it is because I have a right knee issue that causes severe nerve pain. You might say my pain semi-mimics some elements of fibro pain. Like the moisture bit. My sciatic nerve is probably being compressed by something (I actually posted in the knee/hip issues section if anyone wants to take a crack at it, as no orthopedist has found it as of yet) but I use that and my observation of my mother as my basis.
One thing to mention to your doctor in the case this is true:
QEEG is a technique that is used to monitor brain activity. It is referred to as "Brain Mapping". Perhaps they could use a similar technique focusing on the primary area(s) of trauma that led to your fibro? I don't know about a cure, as the CNS is a very delicate thing to be fiddling with, but if they could find a way to calm it down using medication it may atleast reduce symptoms. And who knows, if they can find the right "trigger" perhaps they could "unfreeze" the CNS and cause a state of remission. I say that because if this is the case then the focus would need to be to gently reduce the CNS activity so that it catches on to what it should be doing. It seems to me what they are trying to do is to control the Endocrine Glandular System since the symptoms are reflected from that malfunction. I can imagine that most doctors are a bit funny about messing with the CNS, so they haven't focused on it as much as they could. But again, if they can find a way to force it to reduce activity it could result in at the very least a reduction in medication without compromising symptom reduction, and at best trigger a remission. Just my additional thoughts.
And I appreciate the comment of me being an angel, but to none is the glory but God himself. I am only a sinner and a servant. Have a great and blessed day all of you, and hang in there. God does not give us more than we can handle, and that is not to intrude on anyone's views of divinity. Whatever you may believe in, know that there is someone watching over you. Have a wonderful and blessed day all of you!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Quickhandrob, I like your theory and thank you for writing it out for us. I am not sure what my trauma might be, but I have a couple that might qualify. Also, fibro is hereditary, do you have this wonderful disorder?

My mother died on my bridal shower day of a sudden heart attack, she never woke up. She was 46. I still got married less than 1 month later. During my honeymoon, my brother was beaten up by a baseball bat, and my husband already told me our marriage was over because I was upset over my brother on the last night of our honeymoon, and could not let it go and enjoy my husband. I went into major depression after all that, my tmj flared up, and I was a sick 23 year old girl, who's husband left her for work and drinking friends and did not want anything to do to with me and help me, but wanted his wife back.

I came back, got a great job, made good money, got pregnant, stopped working, became stay at home mom, and had another baby. I have 2 boys, 2 and 4. My job is to take care the boys and the house. My husbands job is to make money. If I am sick, I have to take care of boys no matter what. My husband does not ask for help doing his job and making money, I should not ask for help when I am sick, I should be able to still take care of the boys. That is my job. Over the last 7 years, since I have been married, it has been really good, and really bad. That is how abuse goes, the good times are so great and for a while they make up for the bad. Over time, it is all mulled together. It has taken its toll on me, and my body for the most part was one big migraine for a long time, and they just kept getting worse and more often, everyday. Then in September, my tmj flared, and then my body joined in. I am a chronic pain patient now. I have been diagnosed with chronic migraines, tmj, myofacsial pain syndrome, and fibromyalgia. I feel like I am one big bruise, and just sore all over to touch.

I think the trauma was my mom, and my marriage. My husband feels he gives me everything. No man would ever treat me as good as he does, or give me what he does. But yet, 1 million men would have thrown me out the door by now. I guess it is for lack of cleaning the house, he feels I disrespect him and I do not appreciate what he does for our family. So I have written out my trauma, my marriage has chipped away, and chipped away until it made me sick, and in pain. My husband does not believe I have illnesses, he believes it is the medication that my dr prescribes me that makes me sick from the side effects. Also, if I keep how I feel, my pain, my medicine, and how my day is going to myself, my marriage is better,and he is better to me. If I did not have medications I would not be able to take care of my house, and the boys. I would be in bed all day in pain.

I want to feel better, and have my family be whole. Is it possible that instead of having a health trauma,like the others, it could be more of a emotional trauma?

Thank you,

Kass

Kass

Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

There are different types of FMS. Example noone in my family has it or any pain issues for that matter. Like everyone else I was extremely active running, lifting weights and rode and competed with my horses. However, mine came on after multiple cervical spine surgeries and issues. I was fine after my first surgery, then after my second injury (minor car accident) I was not. I started having bad burning pains in my left shoulder and could barely extend my arms. That went on awhile while Workman's comp tried to not do anything. I had severe spinal cord compression and stenosis. I got pregnant before the surgery, had a modified radical hysterectomy and was still not having all over pain. I was sorta diagnosed with Chronic Pain Syndrome but for the longest the pain was arms, hands,neck and shoulders. I started having side pains then, foot issues, breast tenderness and rib pain. Then came the elbows both of them and they hurt. My pain doctor was not addressing anything other then medication. He refused to give it a name. I went to a Rhuemy who did name it.

So some of us get FMS from trauma and others it comes on with a less severe. I think it all turns out the same in the end.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User
Thumbs up Re: Theory on Fibro

Quickhandsrob, Iam soooooooooo sorry for assuming you were a female,I dont know what i was thinking,but i still think your theory is good and you still sound like your mothers angel.please forgive it was 3am. hope and pray your mother feels better,keep up the good work,your mom is a lucky woman marywoo

Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

My experience more closely correlates to the theory of my FMS physician than it does to the theory you have figured out. I'm not saying yours is wrong (and it is a very intelligent assessment) because the more I get acquainted with the victims of FMS, the more I begin to think there may be different levels and causes (who knows!). My doctor's theory is that FMS patients have an excess of a biochemical substance that enters into individual cells. This process begins at birth and accumulates until the body's safety nets are overstretched by an automobile accident or Lyme's disease for instance. In some instances, there is no known overstretching, but the patient is overwhelmed by this process through the dictates of time. What it basically boils down to is a metabolic malfunction wherein phosphates and calcium do not charge properly in individual cells. The phosphates then float internally until it finds a place to land, such as muscles and ligaments. Because the level of affliction is every cell, there is break down in every organ and every part of the body, thus the vast array of symptoms. There are basic similarities amongst FMSers, and the range of symptoms can be positively mind boggeling. That is why they are considered hypochondriacs by many professionals because they think "who in the world could suffer from such a wide variety of ailments."

Somehow, more attention needs to be brought to this condition so that research can begin. FMS victims are orphans in the medical world, which brings shame to the field.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 03-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
(female)

Ishla HB User
Talking Re: Theory on Fibro

Well, your theory sounds as good as any other. I had some difficulty deciphering it though, because of the fog I'm sure. I don't quite buy the thought about the moisture entering into the muscle though.
My brother has a theory about electromagnetic fields affecting our pain. There are electromagnetic fields all around us, and he surmises that when a storm front comes into our area, it's magnetic field disrupts the one that our bodies are currently used to, causing flaring of the myofacial tissues. What do you think? Both make considerable sense to me.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
(female)

doxie1 HB User

Hi, Ishla, and Kristee

It is a know fact that some people are more sensitive to EMF's then others. So this theory would make sense as well as the other theory's put out there.Who knows maybe it is a combination of all the theory's that is the answer.

Sometimes I think that researchers are never going to find an answer because they don't see it as a physical problem but as a mental one.

It is true that most of us suffer from one form of depression or another however, I feel in my opinion that the depression is caused from the pain and not the other way around. I have put this to many a Dr. that gave me the It's all in your head attitude.

I am not one to back down from authority, and have been known to say to a Dr.or two.... quote" well doc how the h*** do you think you would feel if you were in pain all the time and no one believed you, wouldn't you be depressed too." This usually shuts them up.!!

Ahh my sweet revenge.

Doxie

Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #13
(female)

Ishla HB User

Oh Doxie!, Loved your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxie1 View Post
Hi, Ishla, and Kristee

It is a know fact that some people are more sensitive to EMF's then others. So this theory would make sense as well as the other theory's put out there.Who knows maybe it is a combination of all the theory's that is the answer.
I've thought this all along. Since fibro is different for each of us, each of us is bound to be experiencing all these theories in different degrees and at different times. Bravo to you.

Quote:
Sometimes I think that researchers are never going to find an answer because they don't see it as a physical problem but as a mental one.
I agree, but lately I've begun to notice a deeper respect for us from the "big guys" at the drug manufacturing machines. The latest fibro drug commercials are showing a woman who is suffering and talking about it's invisibility..and the statement it makes about if it showed as bruising, people might actually believe her sure hit home. And I see this as a big problem in the brain too... I think researchers will one day find that fibro is all in our heads..specifically a disorder of the hypothalimus, and the pituitary gland.

Quote:
It is true that most of us suffer from one form of depression or another however, I feel in my opinion that the depression is caused from the pain and not the other way around. I have put this to many a Dr. that gave me the It's all in your head attitude.

I am not one to back down from authority, and have been known to say to a Dr.or two.... quote" well doc how the h*** do you think you would feel if you were in pain all the time and no one believed you, wouldn't you be depressed too." This usually shuts them up.!!

Ahh my sweet revenge.

Doxie
I couldn't have said it better myself! What an awesome way to tell off the doctor! Works really well on husbands too, by the way.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I still have a big issue with it being something from birth. I truely do not agree with that. If you look deep into FMS there are mulitple ways to get it or at least be diagnosed with it since no doctor knows what to call it. I know for a fact that there is NO family history of this. I would never have it or close to it if I didnt have my neck injured and multiple surgeries on it. I have read many cervical patients developing FMS or CPS which is the same in symptoms. More research needs to be done in both hereditary Fibro and Cervical Trauma induced Fibro. I just don't know if any real solid research is going to happen. It has to be recongnized as a Disease not just a syndrome. No you cannot spread it but it does spread and it has a huge affect on peoples lives. Heck they say that chronic pain is one of the biggest reasons for people being out of work. Is it all FMS or a form of it?? Could be.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #15
(female)

Grapedy HB User

It's an interesting theory alright, but basing it on this statement makes the whole theory fundamentally flawed.

Quote:
but most of you with fibro were most likely very active at one point, and had a trauma that caused you to be very inactive very quick.
FM is very strong in my family and only one of us can trace it back to a traumatic event of any kind as the trigger. For her, that trigger was being diagnoses with thyroid cancer. And traumatic event includes accidents, surgeries, high levels of stress, cancer, etc.

This message board is not a good example of all the different types of people who suffer from FM. It's not a big enough cross section of FM sufferers. The people who post here are the more proactive ones. I would guess that most FM sufferers just figure out a way to live with it and aren't really concerned with the latest advancements in treatment or the newest theories. I've found my way that works for me and I'm not the least bit interested in messing with it or trying different drugs because they're new and labeled for FM. Just because a drug has that label doesn't mean it's better than the older stuff.

You can't base a theory on an assumption that most of us were very active and were triggered by a traumatic event. The theory very well could be true for those who ARE triggered by a traumatic event, but it cannot be applied to FM sufferers in general. I for one completely believe the genetics theory. It may not apply to every person who has it, but it certainly fits my family.

I was not triggered by a traumatic event of any kind and I've never been a super-active or busy person. It's just not my nature. I'm a writer, I crave quiet and peace not busyness and noise. I'm still young, 25, never been involved in a major relationship of any kind, choose of my own free will to still live at home, don't party or stay out late. For me it's something that just slowly started building up when I was in my teens and then blasted onto the scene in full force 4 years ago. I've been on medication for it for nearly 2 years. When mine really started getting bad was when the biggest source of stress in my family's life disappeared.

I'm not really interested in all the different theories about why FM happens and what causes it. I'm just interested in figuring out how to live with it and finding what works for me. Knowing what all is going on in the FM research is good and all, but it doesn't help me learn how to live with it.

You have to accept that you have it, learn how to live with it and move on with your life. Refusing to accept it or make adjustments doesn't do any good in the long run.

Closed Thread