It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

dixie7 HB User
substitute for Flexeril???

I hate Flexeril, even when cut in half..is there another drug that can be used instead that works for the same problems?

Old 04-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
Re: substitute for Flexeril???

I like Soma. It works well for me. There is also a med. called Skelaxin which is often used. Valium, a benzodiazapen, helps as a muscle relaxor, anxiety and sleep. I am on both. I take Soma, not every day, but usually 1 does me fine (350mg) but I am prescribed up to 2 a day. I take 1 1/2 5mg valium at night but can take up to 2 at night and 2 in the day if needed. I am being weened off percocet and going on a MASSIVE dose of Prednisone. Hope this helps some. let me know if you have any other questions.

Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
(female)

lilpea1970 HB User

I switched to Zanaflex after being on flex and soma. Been on it for a few years and I can usually get some well needed sleep. I hated flex b/c I would get up in the middle of the night and sleep walk/eat/drive - all of which was pretty scary.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

I take flexeril up to 3x daily and I also take valium 2x daily. Like the other previous posts said there is skelaxin, and zanaflex. I took one and for the life of me, it must be fibrofog, I cannot remember what is was, but anyway the muscle relaxant made me not sleep and feel wound up. I like valium as a muscle relaxant and for anxiety, maybe you could try it, the doctor first put me on 2mg, and I did not feel anything, and then they moved it up to 5 mg, and that worked much better.

I have discovered that muscle relaxants help so much with MPS, and fibromyalgia. Relaxing the muscles really helps with my pain. Flexeril was the only thing that helped me open my jaw from my tmj. I wish it worked for you.

Do you have a good relationship with your doctor? It is so much easier to get good care when you have a doctor that listens and really cares.

Good luck,

Kassandra

Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
(female)

Grapedy HB User

There are tons of other muscle relaxers out there. Zanaflex is what I take.

I honestly don't understand why so many doctors still start FM patients off with Flexeril. There's so many others out there that work better.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
(female)

valentine92 HB User

I started out on flexeril and it didnt work for me at all. I then switched to skelaxin which worked very well until I had a really bad flare and then the dr switched me to zanaflex.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Thought I'd chime in again-

Flexirill never worked for me. Only for TMJ as a kid, just as a previous poster stated. I think Soma is the best but some doctors shy away from it because of the "addiction" possibility. I think that is hog wash....I take when I need it and don't when I don't and if you are suffering you NEED something.

Bella

Closed Thread