It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
(female)

beckyc984 HB User
Fibro as a result of traumatic injury?

Hello All:
I was curious if anyone has heard of fibro being caused by traumatic injury. I was in a very bad car accident seven years ago which I sustained major injuries from, I now have chronic back pain and am awaiting surgery to hopefully help. Anyway, I was recently told by a doctor that he suspected fibro due to some of the symptoms I am having, although he did not complete the full "18 point test" (I think it's 18 trigger points)...he stated he believed it was from the car accident and the trauma my body endured, I'm wondering if any of you have heard of that. Sometimes it's really hard for me to determine whether my pain and symptoms are from my back, depression, or this newly diagnosed fibro. Any info would really help. Thank you very much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User
Re: Fibro as a result of traumatic injury?

Becky,

I don't know of a source I can officially cite, but I can tell you from experience that trauma to the body definitely impacts Fibromyalgia's severity and perhaps its onset. I have had declining health for about 15 years, starting with degenerative disk disease and other minor illnesses, much of it brought on by stress, which led to sleep disturbances and then two surgeries. After each of the surgeries, my fibro symptoms became much worse. I have recently suffered from nerve pain (deferred pain in my arm from something floating near one of my cervical disks), and now my fibro is even worse.

I have kept a diary for many years, keeping a record of how I felt each day, what I ate, what medications I took, how active, etc. My fibro pain increases after extreme physical and mental trauma, no doubt about it. Sometimes, my body reacted badly to a new medication, or (when I used to work) stress from the rat race.

Of course, every one is different, and this is such a tough malady to pin down that we can never be sure what the causes and effects are. I just know from experience that my symptoms worsened after major physical events such as surgery and even a minor car accident when I was rear-ended. My stress from years in an unhappy marriage, trying to "do it all" and be super-mom, super-wife, super-corporate worker really added up and did lots of damage, in my opinion.

Do what you can to treat yourself emotionally as well as physically...it cannot be underestimated how much stress plays a role in illness. Massage therapy has always helped me both physically and mentally. Although I am new to the board, I am no stranger to suffering. Don't feel guilty about being sick--treat yourself when ever you can, to a nap, a massage, a bath, etc. And take it a day at a time--you'll get through it!

Blessings,
TexMom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
(female)

beckyc984 HB User

Thank you so very much TexMom, the info really helps. I do notice that the pain is worse when I am stressed, and often have alot of stress in my life. I thank you for your words on how stress effects the body and to start logging what I do. I do keep a journal and log of my regular back pain, but had not thought of doing it for fibro. I also have DDD (along with other issues like us all) so I know what that can be like. I had not thought of it acting up after surgery (I am going in for back surgery soon) and will make sure I pay close attention to every aspect of how I feel. I try to be the super-woman as well and often feel my stress takes a major toll on my body, so it's really nice to hear from someone who is and has gone through this to gain better control of my stress. I truly thank you for your input and appreciate your time and hope you're feeling well.
Take care

Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
(female)

Grapedy HB User

It can definitely be triggered by a traumatic event. But you won't find a study supporting that because one hasn't been done. There's really not a safe way to do a study like that...

There does appear to be a genetic component involved as well, so chances are someone in your family has FM too. The triggers for everyone are different. Some people probably have it but it'll never be triggered, so they'll never have symptoms. And for some of us, it just happens out of the blue and we don't have a trigger. That's part of what makes diagnosing, studying and treating FM so hard.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

Becky, I had a car accident in 98, badly mistreated w/physical therapy for a year when what was actually needed was surgery, and then surgery in 2000. During all this time, my dad died and my mom found out she had cancer, battled it and then died--rough 1 1/2 years and FM definitely got worse or started after that time.

If you study FM much, you'll find every legitimate sight has something to say about the stress/injury connection. Y'all are diligent with the logs. Dang, no offense to Grapedy's dad, but I can't stand doctors!!! I wouldn't have a clue how to work with one... now it is my son not getting the treatment he needs--two office visits and several phone calls and still no help for headaches. I can't stand this!

Last edited by baserockermom; 04-08-2008 at 06:09 AM.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
(female)

beckyc984 HB User

Thank you for your info Grapedy, I really appreciate your time and helping me to better understand FM.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 AM   #7
(female)

beckyc984 HB User

Baserockermom, I am really sorry to hear what has happened to you over the last few years, I hope things are looking up for you now. I am glad to have found these baords and all the great people on them. There are so many compassionate people who understand more of what I am going through so it makes it alittle easier than to try and explain it to my family and friends. Thanks for your reply and take care.

Closed Thread