It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User
need help again, I am swollen, my feet and hands?

I am sorry guys, I need your help again. I have mentioned my feet really bothering me and how I cannot walk or stand on them longer than 1 hour, and if I do they ache and burn. Recently, if I am at a store and I am shopping and walking, they are so bad I either have to stand on my tippy toes to walk, and that looks ridiculous and leave. I have even used carts as crutches to get out of stores.

Right now, my feet and ankles are very swollen, more than I have ever seen them, and my hands and fingers are too. It is the feet that are really bad. Is it from the lyrica?

I am 31, and if I stand on my feet longer than 1 hour they ache and burn so badly I have to fight back tears. I would say they are getting worse. What do I do? What is wrong with me? Is it fibromyalgia? I am worried.

Kassandra

Old 04-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

bleigh HB User
Re: need help again, I am swollen, my feet and hands?

One of the side effects of Lyrica is swolling legs and arms. You may be having this side effect. You should call your doctor and ask his/her opinion. I believe you can just stop this drug....you need to make sure first from your doc. Maybe you can stop taking it for a few days and see if it gets better. In the meantime maybe your doc can prescribe you a diuretic to get rid of the swelling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User

Kass that is definately one of the side effects of lyrica,call your dr,I dont want to tell you what to do but I would not take anymore untill you have spoken with him.Iam so sorry kass you just cant get a break.keep me posted Iam worried about you.miss everbody marywoo

Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
(female)

bleigh HB User

I just looked up Lyrica causing foot pain and stumbled on someone who sounds like they've experienced the same thing. This person also said she's heard of others having the pain you're describing. Said they are taking for Fibro, but the foot and hand pain is unbearable. Can't walk for very long for the pain is so severe. I hope you don't have to suffer from this for too long....I know it's tough to get started on a med that you have high hopes for only to find out it may not be working.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Thanks guys,

Since I wrote the thread I was in the kitchen making a soup for my sick husband, and my feet really started hurting again. I went and sat down, and they are much worse now. I can't see my ankle, my feet are all puffy.

I called my doctor and they want me to come in at 3:15, so he can see it and document it. I already have a hard time standing on my feet, now the pain is horrible and they are all swollen, ahhgggg!

I am so ****** off. Lyrica finally helped me with some of the body pain. I did not have lower leg and arm pain as much, and I have not had a day where I can barely move in so much pain day. I am on 150 mg 2x daily.

My doctor is going to take me off it, right?

Have any of you ever had swelling, especially in your feet?

Thanks,

Kassandra

Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
(female)

bleigh HB User

I've had swelling in my feet before. The one time it was from a medication was when I was taking Pamelor. I had severe swelling in my arms and some swelling in my legs and feet. I used a diuretic for a couple of days and the swelling was gone.

A side effect of Lyrica is swelling in the arms and legs. The best thing to do is talk with your doctor about how to get off it for a while and see if it the swelling goes away. Personally, I would much rather be in pain from the fibro than I would be in pain from a medication. Just not worth it. Swelling can cause pain so maybe your doctor will prescribe you a diuretic to get rid of the water quickly.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Yes I have swelling in the arms and legs, uggggh I am so upset. I am so tired of my feet. They hurt and burn, and make me crippled. The lyrica just added to it. My feet bothered me before I started lyrica. I just tried to ignore the swelling. My upper arms are burning right now, and I am pretty sure they are swollen too.

I am right in saying my dr is now going to wean me off this? What do I do next? How do I manage the pain? I am going to ask for something as I wean off lyrica and oxycontin, like something strong...like klonopin. I read that it helps people who have fibro. I just need to feel better, not worse. I am so discouraged.

Kassandra

Old 04-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Kass - I am so sorry that you are feeling so bad... I know how frustrating it can be to get a med that you think is going to help only to find it causes a side effect that only makes you worse...

I am worried about you and know how discouraging this must be... Please let us know how you are doing... We all care so deeply... Jenn

Old 04-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
(female)

Ishla HB User

Hi Kass..
What you are describing is EXACTLY how Lyrica affected me. I was able to stop taking it with just a phone call to my Doc's office, and I was on it for nearly two months before stopping all together, so either I was just lucky, or there aren't any major withdrawal symptoms. I realize now that it was keeping me from sleeping at all, making all my aches worse, and though only swelling slightly untill that horrid last weekend, wasn't really helping me with any of my symptoms. I, like you, swelled up in my feet and hands, and hurt worse that I have ever hurt since I came down with fibro. I also have the same foot problems, can't stay on them for more than 15-30 min. without horrible burning pain. I'm so sorry that Lyrica is not the answer we were so desperately looking for, but there will surely be another out there soon. The medical community is finally paying attention to us... I just hope it comes quickly.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

I went to the dr, and I am having an reaction to the lyrica, and I have to go off it. My whole body is swollen, but especially my feet. I am to take 150 mg once a day for 4 days, and then 150 every other day for a week. Then I am off it. Then I am to take a month off, and then maybe try lyrica again. If that does not work then I will have to go back on narcotics, I am actually weaning off oxycontin, but he wants me to stay on 40 mg for now, and see what happens with the lyrica.

He said the swelling would last for a couple of weeks, and all I can do for it is sit with my feet propped up and take it easy. My feet are very swollen.

This is not what I needed. Lyrica took away a lot of my arm and leg pain, and I have not had a bad day on the couch for the whole day in a while.

I am quite discouraged, and to add to it, my husband is sick, and mad at me. I actually cannot tell you all or anybody how upset and discouraged I am. I still have to do my job of taking care of my family, and never feel good. When you throw in your husband really upset with you it all just *****.

Kassandra

Old 04-12-2008, 07:55 AM   #11
(female)

MizSpentyouth2 HB User

Hi Kass, I am sorry that you are in such pain. The frustration of trying to take of a family when you are hurting really s****. I also had the swelling from the lyrica and can not take it. When you are laying down elevate your feet higher then your heart should help the swelling go down a bit faster. Men are especially ornery when "they" do not feel well heh. Let them walk a mile in our moccasins then talk. Well try and keep a smile on don't let em make it worse. I hope this passes quickly

Old 04-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
(female)

dollmaker HB User
Lightbulb Re: need help again, I am swollen, my feet and hands?

Hi this is my first posting i am new. I was diagnosed with fibro after a year of extrem tiredness and pain, i have been taking lyrica for about 4 days but my doc put me on Hydrochlorot for my blood pressure which he feels is a result of my pain and for the swelling in my hands and feet it seems to help until the eve. I just have to say i am glad i stumbled onto this site i felt like no one i know believed me when i said i was hurting and getting headaches and could not sleep but it seemed like i was sleeping all the time. So i am glad to hear that there are alot of people out there that feel the same way i do (i am referring to some of ther other discussions). I was in a study for a new pill for fibro it is an atidepressant that is being used in England with success, i got kicked out after a week because of my blood pressure, but i think i had the real deal because i was sleeping better and not hurting quite as bad. So hopefully it will be out on the market soon for us all. Just hang in there.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:54 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

dollmaker, Welcome! I so happy that you are here. It is the best place to be when you have fibro. I have gotten so much help for everyone here, and I now have more friends than I have had in years. I have us all pictured someday meeting, and us all seeing what one another looks like. I only hope that all could come true, as everybody on here has helped me so much, and I would love to thank you all personally.

Back to you, dollmaker, I am excited to have you here, and I hope to see you often. I somedays, don't have much contact with adults, and I look forward to being here. It has become a very important part of my day.

I still have swelling, and I have to be careful about standing for too long. My feet were a large part of my pain before lyrica, and now they are an even bigger part. My doctor wants me taking 150 mg a day for 2 more days, and then 150 mg every other day for a week. I just want off the stuff, but I am sad that it helped me so much, I had less joint pain and muscle aches. I have already felt the pain creeping back. My sister came up and is keeping me company. She is also helping me with the boys and our madhouse. I say madhouse, because she brought her children and they are 6, and 9. So we have a 2,4,6, and 9 year old, and my 4 year old is the most demanding, even combining the other 3, he is much more of a handful.

My husband is still sick and spent the whole day Saturday in bed, he did go to work at 9pm-2am, but he called down on his cell phone for me to bring up his meals and drinks. My husband writing in under kassandme, it was nice and very unexpected. I did not expect it because he promised he would not look at my posts anymore, and that day, Friday, had been a very hard day marriage wise. He told me I disrespected him by not asking him if my sister could come over, and I apologized, and he then said he is getting used to me disprespecting him. It was a hard day, and also the day I was hurting and swelling. NOT a good day at all.

Anyway, we will see how today goes. I am so tired of this. I am praying and hoping you all have a good day.

Kassandra

Old 04-13-2008, 05:09 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User

Welcome Dollmaker. Maybe one day there will be that pill. I sometimes want to see about whether my son has this and I'd really like him to get the help I've had with Lyrica, but the side effects of Lyrica are tough for me too (especially the constipation; I have blood pressure med that takes the swelling down some), that I see no real point in it other than labeling him. When that magic pill gets on the market, I guess then I will see a point in it all.

I hate it Kass that Lyrica's side effects pushed you out of it. I'm scared the constipation problem (now three months worth) is going to land me with a surgeon and a suggestion I get off of it. That's the last thing I want. I'm trying everything. My feet and sometimes my hands are bad, too, just not like you. The stairs thing, especially for someone who is mad at me, would be a hard pill to swallow. Getting a glimpse of what goes on in a man's head through your hubs post was like reading a novel, only a true story. The provider part really touched me. My husband is having a wretched week at work and your hub's post put it clearly on all that. I hoped you were ok with it all and hesitated to respond because I know this is your safe place and y'all did have a deal and I wondered about all that. I hope he gets better soon and the swelling from Lyrica can come off of your usual swelling real soon. Wonder if a diuretic would help--I've not had any side effects from that other than a couple extra trips to the bathroom during the day. Take care.

Last edited by baserockermom; 04-13-2008 at 05:10 AM.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:34 AM   #15
(female)

gaudet2 HB User

BRM...

I know first hand about the constipation part. I have dealt with that for years and I am only 28. I actually just had a hemorrhoidectomy, fissure repair and a sphincterotomy. Since that surgery, I have been on a strict schedule of two dulcolax at night and two citrucel tablets during the day (I hate the taste of any of the powder or liquid stuff!!). In addition, I try to eat as many foods that are high in fiber and drink lots of fluids. They say water, but as long as you are hydrated and it isn't soda or alcohol that you are using as your fluid then you should be keeping yourself pretty hydrated .

Now that I am on Lyrica, I have to keep an extra eye out on it because I am naturally set at being constipated (going one MAYBE two times a week). When you are really constipated and don't want to take a laxative, try prune juice. My dad told me to drink a whole glass of it, but I hated the taste so I drank just a few gulps. 20 minutes later I was doing my duty. Its a miracle I say, a miracle.

In the event that you need a laxative, Milk of Magnesia is safe to take on a regular basis. It does come in tablets if you don't want to drink the nasty stuff. This doesn't work for me, so I use the generic version of correctol if I don't go at least once a week. I only take that once a month if that though. I usually try the prune juice method first. My gastroenterologist said that as long as you can go once a week, and are not uncomfortable, then you shouldn't worry.

Hope some of this info can help you...here is to normal BM's!!

gaudet2

Closed Thread