It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User
New symptom, sharp shooting leg pain, is it more fibro?

Last night around 8, when we got home after being at mcdonalds, I had the worst shooting, burning, pain in my right leg. I had to climb up twice to get my 2 year old in the playground. That does not help my fibro body at all, but he was screaming and crying and would not come down on his own.

The pain was on the outside of my lower leg, above the ankle bone and up to my knee, and the pain was worse than a dull ache, more like a sharp shooting pain. It took me to my knees a couple of times, and I had to go lay down. I put heat on it, and took vicoprofen and flexeril. If it would have continued I would be at the doctor.

So what do you guys think it was? So far this morning it has not happened. I have not moved too much yet, but it scared me. The pains would come about every minute, and would make me cringe.

Has anybody ever had this? It was only on my right leg, and from fibro I have lower leg aches, but this was different.

Thank you for your time and responses,

Kassandra

Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

baserockermom HB User
Re: New symptom, sharp shooting leg pain, is it more fibro?

A) Stress makes fibro worse. B) Your husband is enough to stress out a saint. C) You went the extra mile with your kid as usual and you paid. D) Shooting pain, exactly as you described, are very much a part of this mess.

My prescription for A-D, reread what bll wrote you on "relationships" and get a blasted break from your worst stressor; i.e., your husband.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
(female)

Ishla HB User

I agree with BRM. This kind of thing is very much like my day most of the time. & I hope you get to see a Rhuemy soon.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

I hope I get to see a rheumy too, my doctor though told me that he can treat me and I do not need to see one. I looked at the form they give me to give the receptionist, and I looked at the diagnosis's and it was for the day, depression, anxiety, and swelling. There was never any mention about fibro, and the reason I had the swelling was from lyrica which was for fibro. Today, and over the last couple of days I have felt myself going downhill, it was like I read the depression diagnonsis, which I did not feel I was untill the last couple of days, and now I am. I had to push for the diagnosis of fibro, we had talked about it for months. At one point he felt my extreme stress and anxiety was causing too much cortisol to be released and causing my body pain. He did not take my body pain seriously until it went well ahead of my tmj/face pain. My body pain came on only a month after the tmj flare up. My body has been under attack since September, and I am so depressed about the weight I have gained.

Yesterday, I had the same horrible pain, but it was my sciatic nerve. I could not get it to calm down until I took more ibuprofen, and flexeril. I took 4, and then 2 hours later I took another 2. I layed on the floor and tried stretching the muscles.

Who would have thought that pain comes in so many ways and levels with this damn fibromyalgia. I am 100% convinced that my mother had fibro. We are built the same way, migraines, pms, body type, and before she died she complained a lot about body pain, and said she just did not feel right. I miss her so much, and I wish she were here so I could ask her so many questions. I would not have the problems of having someone watch the boys if she was here. She would be with them all the time, and if I had an appt., she would be with me, and help me with the boys.

I am going to try and push harder for seeing a rhuematologist.

Kassandra

Old 04-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Kassandra,

I am so sorry to hear you are suffering so much right now. This insidious thing called Fibromyalgia is so hard to deal with, some days you just wonder if it will ever be better.

While my FM pain can be severe, it does not typically escalate to a sharp pain. That kind of pain is due to something else, and as you mentioned, sciatica (which I have as well) can produce that type of pain.

What I wonder is if our bodies are so worn down from the FM that other maladies are more likely to strike, or strike with increased severity. I know that our immune systems are shot and we are more likely to get sick than others, but since I developed FM, it seems that the other (non-Fm-related) ailments I get are worse than before. The severity is even worse when I don't get enough quality sleep, which is a common problem for all of us. Does anyone else feel this way?

I hope you get some relief from your sciatica and get to feeling better soon. I'm sending some prayers your way right now!

Blessings,
TexMom

Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
(female)

cshaw50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMom85 View Post

What I wonder is if our bodies are so worn down from the FM that other maladies are more likely to strike, or strike with increased severity. I know that our immune systems are shot and we are more likely to get sick than others, but since I developed FM, it seems that the other (non-Fm-related) ailments I get are worse than before. The severity is even worse when I don't get enough quality sleep, which is a common problem for all of us. Does anyone else feel this way?
Yep, couldn't say it better myself.

Kassandra, I hope you feel better.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
(female)

sweetjerseygirl HB User

Tex-mom State of uncertainty ? Where do u live Florida ? Ok, im only kidding this is the dysfunctional state !!!

Anyway Kass, i see you were on here today, i panicked for a min when i didnt see you on the other thread. Besides the sciatica, which has calmed down for me the shooting pains have probably been the worst for me. They come at an angle. Anytime, anywhere, no pattern, no particular reason. It proved to be most embarrassing at work, where i would be talking with a co-worker, if the pain was brutally sharp i would gasp, they would alway say "you OK?" yeah, and they would alway say "no your not, your white as a ghost" and if i had a few in a row, where the gasping then fell to silence, it could go up to a min, i would say it will pass in a min. Sometimes if it was a milder one, my co-workers would tell me i was white and then preceed to tell me it took anywhere from fifteen to thirty mins before color would return, so even after the razor blade pains would stop the muscles would be throbbing. Like tiny muscle spasms. They seem to be better now also, since im back on the meds. Oh Lord Kass, i hope you didnt complain to your husband about this latest bout of pain, keep it with us or keep it with your doctor, for your own sake, please !!! Feel better all...........

Old 04-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Texas for now, but since hubby's job ends in June (don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out), we could be moving so we can continue to have a roof over our heads....

I've had those sharp pains, but they last only a second or so (the ones not related to sciatica or pinched nerves). Sounds like yours are much worse.... sorry, kiddo.

I am so tired of being sick and hurting, there are days when I sink into a real pity party, but luckily I have a very supportive hubby and friends who really understand, at least to some extent.

It would sure be nice to see some advancements made in the study of diagnosing and treating (how about curing?) FM. There are so many of us suffering, and Lord knows how many other lives are impacted because of our illness.

Hang in there, friends. At least we have each other!

TexMom

Closed Thread