It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 01:59 AM   #1
(female)

linda looney HB User
Hi, I'm new to this site. My name is Linda and I am looney

Hi everyone. I've had fibromyalagia, or all the elements present and working from time to time since I was ten. When I was ten I had these thing's I called "shocks". Like a hot needle being poked into my toes and feet and sometimes with a lingering burning sensation. Mostly my big toe, but not always. Sometimes other places on my body. Nobody had any idea what I was talking about and they couldn't see them and I know I probably didn't look like I was in pain. I still get them to this day. Then when I was 14 I had Either Mono, Epstein-Barr or Chronic Fatigue Sydrome. I read some where that fribromyalagia usually has a significant event that triggers it. I found out at 20 I had a low thyroid, high blood pressure and I was hypoglycemic. With these and with various other problems that hung out with me and I went down the road of my life with all these things clinging on me, weighing be down so much I felt like I had one foot in the grave already. I was always tired, never rested, could never sleep, never wake up. Did NOT have a reserve energy for a second wind event! My life was hell. I worked so hard to do what I had to do and go to school and get some education after I was 40. I joined a fire department, was an EMT on an ambulance. Always cutting the corners everywhere on energy so I had it when and where I needed it. At the same time I was going from doctor to doctor to find out what was wrong with me. Why couldn't I just feel good like everyone else! Why couldn't I be the one saying, when my head hit the pillow I was out till the alarm rang. And be rested. Well, 5 years ago I saw some information on the internet about fribromyalgia and presented it to my doctor. He seemed convinced and sent me to a rheumatologist who confirmed it. When I was sitting there in front of my computer, reading about MY life and find out IT had a name, I began to cry. I did it alone for my whole life for 52 years.... now there's medicines, my doctor looks at me and knows I'm not a crazy person. Although it nearly drove me crazy and depressed me to the point of wanting to find a way out and not have to go to bed another day KNOWING I won't go to sleep, I'll just lie there all night, Maybe sleep with a muscle relaxer. Melatonin, Trytophan. I tried everything. Drinking. Now I find out the number one treatment intervention is to get good sleep. You can't be well without restfull sleep. I'm still working on that part... drugs work and stop working. Work and then begin to bother my nerves. I just started Lyrica probably like so many of you, especially those of you like me who are on assistance, and Lyrica just came on my formulary. And Ambien which helped me sleep but I couldn't afford but for a short time, it was like $150-$300 for thirty pills.

So here I am, on the forum with people like me and I am hoping to give some support and comfort and to receive some in return. I'm typing pretty good now, I use to type 98 wpm, but my fingers will hurt tonight when I go to bed or tommorrow morning! No pain no gain. But I have noticed a difference since the Lyrica and it's only been 4 days. But I find because my fingers are slow and kind of drag across the keys, I get letters backwards, or get a reppppition of one letter. But I'm hopeful.

So please, everyone introduce yourselves, and I'll be jumping right into the forum's forest fields for FMs. (that's the looney part)

Linda

Last edited by linda looney; 04-21-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 04:03 AM   #2
(female)

Jenny C. HB User
Re: Hi, I'm new to this site. My name is Linda and I am looney

Welcome Linda,

WOW!!! You sound EXACTLY like me...with the Epstein Barr, to the Hypothyroid, to High Blood Pressure...I have it had it all...I couldn't believe when I was reading your post, how similiar it sounded to me.
My doctor, just told me last week, that he thinks "I may have Fibromyalgia"...so that led me to this board.
I just wanted to write and say "Hi", I am also new to this board. It seems like there are alot of good people on this board, that can relate to both of us.
I have used this board for my thyroid, and I learned alot more here.. then what my Dr.'s told me..so I am sure it will be the same with the Fibromyalgia board, you came to the right place, for support.

Good Luck, and keep me posted!
Jenny

Old 04-21-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome looney,
too cute. we are all nut cases here. fibro has a way of messing with sanity. giggle. yet we all find our way. i have been here for several years. you will find laughter, support, tears, strength within, and friends you fall in love with.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

lynn41 HB User

Hello!! I am still relatively new to the HealthBoards, but I can tell you it's been a tremendous help to me. My husband might call it an obsession. Ha!

When I was recently told that what I've been experiencing for a couple of years is FM, my first thought and the first thing I said to my doc was , "I'm NOT nuts!!"

But the worst thing I've experienced is that none of my friends or family have this debilitating condition and totally don't understand. My husband doesn't get it either - and even admits he doesn't get it because I look ok on the outside (a little too "round" for his liking, but oh well.) I had been feeling horribly lonely, shut-out, misunderstood ... you name it ... until I started posting and reading on here. There are truly wonderful people on here who can give you advice, let you vent ... but most importantly LISTEN!!!

So, welcome and glad to have you!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Well, howdy there! Can't wait to get to know you better.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
(female)

linda looney HB User

Yeah, fortunately the medicines I take for the thyroid and blood pressure make those almost non-problematic... but the FM, well that's a whole other universe. Sometimes I wonder if Fibro is mainly a female thing because we all came from mars!!!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

TexMom85 HB User

Welcome, Linda!

Validation....it's such a powerful thing, isn't it? When someone finally recognizes your illness as a real, valid, tangible thing....Too bad we can't get that from everyone we encounter. I have found more support and validation in my short time on this board than I have in years from doctors, friends, family, co-workers, etc. I hope you find this place as helpful as I have.

Lynn--you're too funny, with the "round" comment. I have become twice the person I once was...or nearly that, in weight gain from the illness, lack of sleep, medications, inability to exercise (some, in fairness to FM, actually due to disk problems in my back and neck)....I wish I could wear a sign that says "I'm this size due to my medications," but it probably wouldn't help my self-esteem at all. Luckily, my husband is a very supportive man and thinks I am beautiful, no matter what. But even he doesn't understand the full impact of my illness. I think only those who experience it can really appreciate how it permeates every aspect of our lives.

I, too am looney, but think that that's a good thing! It helps you laugh in the face of despair!

Welcome!

TexMom

Closed Thread