It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
(female)

jejunity HB User
Angry going off meds has left me angry, cranky & in pain

A few months ago I requested a referral to a naturopath from my doctor. I wanted to try to treat my fibromyalgia rather than just taking meds that covered up the symptoms. After beginning weekly acupuncture sessions and being put on several new supplements he and i decided together that i would go off of my oxycodone, klonapin, wellbutrin & robaxin to see how i was really responding to the new natural approach. I've been off all those meds for nearly two months but I find that I am still in considerable amounts of pain that advil isn't touching and on top of that I have become the crankiest angriest person ever. I've always had a great outlook on all of this but suddenly i am throwing plates and screaming. Anyone else?

Last edited by jejunity; 05-01-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
(female)

bleigh HB User
Re: going off meds has left me angry, cranky & in pain

I personally think it's great that you're off the meds, but did you gradually go off them or did you just go cold turkey? Did you stop them one at a time or all at the same time? I would imagine you may have needed more than two months to get off these meds. And maybe to have cut them out one at time would be easier on your mind and body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
(female)

jejunity HB User

Good point! I did go off them quickly but it was supervised by my doctor. It would take a lot to get me to go back on meds. I just hope the cranky in me wears off sooner than later.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
(female)

linda looney HB User

Jejunity,
As most of us probably are aware, but some aren't, when you begin taking medicines, these medicines replace the normal chemcials that are produce by your body. Instead of updaking your natural chemical, it uptakes the medication into the bloolstream and into the Brain. What happens then, is your body over time, begins to quit produce the natural chemcials and substances. So when you just go off a drug, especially one such as oxycodone - your body is producing nothing to help take the withdrawal away. It would take many months before your body began producing your own pain chemcials and substances again. Doesn't the Naturopath have something natural for you take for the anger and agitation? Have you considered that getting off the drugs is causing you to feel the anger you have toward your condition? Is there someone you can talk to about that? I would imagine if all my meds were withdrawn, I'd be somewhere between the nut house and hell. And I can see myself being a lot more angry toward my condition. You could and should wait it out - but get some help for the rollercoaster you'll be on for the next 3-6 months. And don't rule out therapy. The anger might be coming from more than just the obvious. I hope you will keep us informed with your progress.
Linda Looney

Old 05-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi jej,
a pleasure to meet you my northern friend. several years ago i went the natural way also. getting over the hump was hard. there are herbs that will help you stay calm. teas as well. sleepy time tea, just half a cup will help you mellow out.
if you wish i can look in my herbal books and see what else there is that may help you. i studied herbs and alternative healing after i was gifted with fibro.
also remember acupuncture can open doors to old cellular memories. perhaps if you add some energy balancing at the end it will redirect the energy and gift a healing of that cellular memory.
if you have been on meds for a long time you may have stunted the mourning process of adapting to fibro. i had a good shrink help me thru the transition. what a delight it was to have him at a time when i most needed a teacher.
talk to your naturo. i used to work for a doctor who was a naturopath. she was a blast. in her 70's then and amazing energy. that was over a decade ago. i still see her here and there. she is still dancing circles around me and pushing 90 herself. she used to make all kinds of goodies for me to help the fibro flares. sometimes it even tasted good. giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 05-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

I 've never been on pain meds ,but I did withdraw from an antidepressant a few years ago. It took 4 months of gradual tapering ,and then for about 4 mos I also had a lot of anger and impatience. Not at all like me. Even I couldn't stand being around me !
I commend you for trying to go the holistic route. I have lupus as well as FMS ,and except for plaquenil for my lupus ,which is not a pain med ,but does help my overall lupus pain and fatigue,I am not on any pain meds. It's rough ,some days are pretty good ,some days are pretty bad,like everyone else I have my flares etc. .I am seeing a physical therepist twice a month ,and doing the stretching exercises every day. I take Kava Kava in the daytime, and Valerian at night.Advil occasionally. I have a membership at my gyms pool(,but have yet to get my butt down there.) I also want to try accupuncture. Truthfully ,the idea of going on pain meds kind of scares me. I have to be mentally alert for my job,and also there's the whole addiction thing.
i've come to accept that I will have chronic pain for the rest of my life ,but I always TRY to stay positive ,and just do the best I can. I am not my disease,and I will not let it control me. not that I don't fall apart occasionally,but it doesn't last long ,and i'm able to get up to fight another day.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! Kathryn

Old 05-03-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
(female)

bilij HB User

Hello Jejunity, welcome to the fibro board. You will find many
wise and careing people here.
I'm reluctant to reply to you younger folks because I am 77 and
have had fibro for 7 years. My experience may not be the best
for you. I thought I must have arthritis. I had fallen and injured a
knee, had an arthroscopy and the pain never left only moved to
muscles and joints. My family doctor knew me well. She told me
from the start it was fibro. I did not believe her and made an
appointment with a rheumatoligist. He did all the test, lots of them
and told me the same thing. I took 1 month of Klonipin and Paxil. This
nearly killed me. Next a perfectily good tooth began to hurt. I had it
capped and the pain moved to another perfect tooth. It hurt so bad
I told the dentist to pull the tooth. The pain stayed. Next was an oral
surgeon who trimmed the jaw bone...the pain grew worse and he
referred me to a neuroglist who put me on Neurotin. I had a worse
reaction than the other meds.
After over a year of this, I went back to my family doctor and I told her
I would take whatever she prescribed. I have been taking Norco 10 mg
twice daily and Ambien CR for over 6 years. I've never increased the
dosage and I no longer feel guilty about taking the meds. 4 months ago
I had a total knee replacement on the injured knee. ( it was easier than
fibro pain)
This is an old story to most of the board, but it's been quite awhile since
I wrote about my story. If I were your age, I'm sure I would try other
ways, but this works so well for me, I'm afraid to try anything else.
May God bless you on your journey.
Bilij

Old 05-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

bilij, so glad to hear from you. I like your story never get tired of hearing it. I think of you often especially at night when I take my ambienCR. Needed some relaxation a few nights ago to fall asleep and I was at blues lake sitting with in on the shore while blue and the others played in the water. Went right to sleep.

Jejunity, I haven't had the experience of withdrawel yet, except increased pain when I have tried to get off or lower my prednisone. I go along with the others that withdrawing from your meds so quickly is probably causing your problems and if your discomfort has increased your mind may be lashing out even if you don't want it too.

Glojer

Old 05-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
(female)

Biyak123 HB User

Glojer...what do you take the Prednisone for and at what dose?

Biya

Closed Thread