It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
(female)

lynn41 HB User
Brain fog question

Is there any kind of supplement that REALLY works to help with this "brain fog"? I seem to be having a difficult time remember things which is detrimental to my job. I know there are so many drugs, herbs, etc. that are marketed saying they can help, but honestly - I don't believe half the crap I read about this stuff. If anyone has any comments on anything I can take to help, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm already making notes, lists, etc. for myself to try to stay on top of things. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

PatNJ HB User
Re: Brain fog question

I'm not aware of any supplement that helps with brain fog. Like you, I keep lists and Post-it reminders, but it's still a losing battle. There are so many lists and notes lying around the house (messy and cluttered to begin with) that they become a piece of the landscape and I usually end up not even noticing them.

I often have trouble completing a sentence without stopping in the middle of it to remember a word I intended to use. I'll usually ask the person I'm talking to suggest a word that sounds appropriate, so I can continue.

What concerns me the most is that my long-term memory is also affected. (I'm 52.) I've had to ask my sister who's a year younger than me what we did for fun growing up. I don't remember the names of most of my friends in junior high and high school.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
(female)

Ishla HB User

If there is one, I'm not aware of it. I wish there was because I'm as bad as anyone else with the fog. My mother is 74, I'm 47... she can remember so much much more than me.. I'm happy she is so alert.. but I wish I could squeeze past the fog and remember half of what I'm doing and saying..

Old 05-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

I take ginkgo biloba 3 times a day if I remember. I really do think it helps with clearing your head. When I started getting meno-fog I went on hormones and got straightened out.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I take a variety of vitamins, and they have helped a variety of issues but I have not found one to help with the fog. However I do not take ginkgo, I use to a long time ago but just haven't gotten back to it.

To me the fog is what it is. I write everything down so as not to miss any appt.s etc.. I personally have good periods of time and or good days and bad days. I think just doing exercise for your body and exercises for your mind to keep the blood flow going is the best thing you can do. I hope someone does have a suggestion for you, cause I could use it.....giggle.

Glojer

Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
(female)

dmlenox HB User

Hello everyone,

I just was looking around about info on fibro & I found this sight. Lots of great info & support. For the Brain fog question...my doc gave me the new patch for ADHD, it is like a miracle! it is called Daytrana. I hope that helps. have a great day.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:52 AM   #7
(male)

David 12321 HB User

I've never heard of anything that legitimately helps with brain fog. I've heard of people taking meds which are used for other diseases but that can be a very slippery path to go down. I'm not saying to do so or not to do so but at the very least learn everything you can about a med before you take it. Over the years I've seen many many doctors which were well intentioned but they were very quick to try to come up with something, anything. The problem with that is many meds used for other conditions can easily exacerbate our condition and we don't even know it because we've so many symptoms that it's tough to know what is causing what. The most commonly mentioned supplement over the past twenty some years that I've heard is ginko. But you have to be careful which form of ginko you take. Ask a KNOWLEDGEABLE pharmacist that is concerned. Many of them still think we're nuts. I wish I could remember what it was that made one ginko better than the other. I'll try and get hold of someone I know and find out and post if I'm able to. I had moderate success with ginko for a while but not enough to warrant taking it long term. When the brain fog hits, I make myself aware that I'm having brain fog, I'm very careful about driving; a lot of times I won't drive. The good thing is that the brain fog for me and most people I know comes and goes so a person knows that eventually it will get better.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

The perscription drug Provigil/Modafinil works wonders for brain fog. I've been taking it for about four months now when I need it.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
(female)

Grapedy HB User

Some people have had good results with ADD meds. But those should ONLY be used as a last resort in cases of severe brain fog. Ritalin can be addictive and is a very hot street drug.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
(male)

David 12321 HB User

also, ritalyn will really mess up your appetite. the cfs or fibro, not sure which, causes me to have appetite problems as it is. the ritaly made that much worse and i was sicker than i had to be because i wasn't eating well and in some cases, at all. that's why i didn't mention it in my earlier reply. i've heard provigil can do this too. i'm not saying yay or nay, i think it best not to do that but i feel a need to bring this up as it's a nasty side effect. also, the ritaly can really mess up your sleep. some are able to take it in the morning and don't have a problem with sleep. others do even if they only take it in the morning. there also can be a bit of a crash when it wears off. it also can cause a sudden severe depression, scary severe. again, not saying yay or nay but be aware.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:01 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Lynn,
you post is so similar to the way I am thinking and living in fear about my memory loss too.
I can hear in your words how distraught you are over this, and I do too about my self.
it seems that others who aren't experiencing this problem just don't seem to understand the aggrivating and mind debilitating feelings it causes to us.

my husband just says its normal and that i"m making it worst by thinking about the fact i can't remember words. I might as well not talk anymore I told him and others, because I feel like an idiot who can't talk. I'm saying a sentance to someone, you know, just normal conversing, and I stop mid sentance because I dont' remember words of things.

the other day I was at the kitchen sink and I forgot which handle is the hot and which is the cold. my god, how long have I been using taps?
it's a single tap where you just push the handle to the right for cold, and the left for hot.
another time I forgot how to use the wind shield wipers and turned on a different thing. it's really beginning to freak me out.
but I'm also on a new drug for my bipolar which this drug is formally prescribed for epilepsy. maybe this new drug is making it worst for me?

I remember them saying in a magazine to eat brain food. it helped people who had the beginning of alzheimers.
the stuff, ( see? I can't remember the darn name right now) you find in salmon. they say it helps our brains. some type of oil, oh! I remembered now, OMEGA's. that's it!
blue berries is another good nutrient for the brain and other things that I just can not for the life of me remember due to short term and long term memory.

forget about ever trying to tell a person a book you read. the title of it I mean. oh, and how about titles of movies? and anything? words we learned in grade school.

what are we going to be like when we reach our 60's or 70's?

how do we know the difference if it's caused by fibromyalgia, or brain fog due to menopause? I am in surgical menopause due to a total hysterectomy and i've been on estrogen patches since 2005. I KNOW it's not related to lack of hormones for me.

so how do we know if it's the begging of alzheimers? I see others with severe forms of brain fog so maybe it's not alzheimers, otherwise half the populatioin would be diagnosed with it, right?

I forget how to spell words and I am switching letters around too.

I think it would be a good idea too to maybe get a referral to see a neurologist to make sure everything is normal and maybe they can suggest what's out there on the market to fix the problem?

I can definetly sympathize with you.

Linda

Old 05-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
(female)

lynn41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintek45 View Post
Lynn,
you post is so similar to the way I am thinking and living in fear about my memory loss too.
I can hear in your words how distraught you are over this, and I do too about my self.
it seems that others who aren't experiencing this problem just don't seem to understand the aggrivating and mind debilitating feelings it causes to us.

my husband just says its normal and that i"m making it worst by thinking about the fact i can't remember words. I might as well not talk anymore I told him and others, because I feel like an idiot who can't talk. I'm saying a sentance to someone, you know, just normal conversing, and I stop mid sentance because I dont' remember words of things.

the other day I was at the kitchen sink and I forgot which handle is the hot and which is the cold. my god, how long have I been using taps?
it's a single tap where you just push the handle to the right for cold, and the left for hot.
another time I forgot how to use the wind shield wipers and turned on a different thing. it's really beginning to freak me out.
but I'm also on a new drug for my bipolar which this drug is formally prescribed for epilepsy. maybe this new drug is making it worst for me?

I remember them saying in a magazine to eat brain food. it helped people who had the beginning of alzheimers.
the stuff, ( see? I can't remember the darn name right now) you find in salmon. they say it helps our brains. some type of oil, oh! I remembered now, OMEGA's. that's it!
blue berries is another good nutrient for the brain and other things that I just can not for the life of me remember due to short term and long term memory.

forget about ever trying to tell a person a book you read. the title of it I mean. oh, and how about titles of movies? and anything? words we learned in grade school.

what are we going to be like when we reach our 60's or 70's?

how do we know the difference if it's caused by fibromyalgia, or brain fog due to menopause? I am in surgical menopause due to a total hysterectomy and i've been on estrogen patches since 2005. I KNOW it's not related to lack of hormones for me.

so how do we know if it's the begging of alzheimers? I see others with severe forms of brain fog so maybe it's not alzheimers, otherwise half the populatioin would be diagnosed with it, right?

I forget how to spell words and I am switching letters around too.

I think it would be a good idea too to maybe get a referral to see a neurologist to make sure everything is normal and maybe they can suggest what's out there on the market to fix the problem?

I can definetly sympathize with you.

Linda

Linda:

I can SO relate to everything you said too. I have yet to know which way to turn for help so I'm just mindlessly wondering through this "brain fog" one day at a time. It just all sucks! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

I finally found someone who can relate to my problem and that I'm not just causing it to myself by always thinking about it when it occurs. I can't stand when people say that!
we would know the difference, right? after all, it's our bodies and we know it best.
let me know if you find out anything.

thanks again,

Linda

Closed Thread