It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

sandy0224 HB Usersandy0224 HB User
How do people actually go into remission?!?

I saw this show on fibro this morning, spoke of it in another post, and there were two women they talked about there, both of whom cured themselves. One with meditation and stretching exercises, and one with some mysterious antidepressant that she said made all of her symptoms go away.

What world are they living in? Certainly not my world!!! I hurt every single day and it doesn't matter a bit if I eat healthy, do yoga every day, work in the yard, walk the dog, etc. I always hurt. I rarely get a break from the pain, and then I see these two women talk about fibro as if it was just a bad rash that went away with a cream!

Does anyone else wonder how these people do it and maybe that they might not of had fibro after all?

The following user gives a hug of support to sandy0224:
43sandy (11-04-2010)
Old 05-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
(female)

lynn41 HB User
Re: How do people actually go into remission?!?

I just can't imagine that it just "went away". I too have pain every day, some days worse than others, but a day does not go by anymore that I do not have pain in my hands, hips, shoulders, etc. I'm learning that there are flares (really bad days) and then just normal days - but I still have pain! From what I've read and been told, it's a life long, chronic condition, and there is no "cure". If taking an anti-depressant would make it go away - I'd be all over that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn41 View Post
I just can't imagine that it just "went away". I too have pain every day, some days worse than others, but a day does not go by anymore that I do not have pain in my hands, hips, shoulders, etc. I'm learning that there are flares (really bad days) and then just normal days - but I still have pain! From what I've read and been told, it's a life long, chronic condition, and there is no "cure". If taking an anti-depressant would make it go away - I'd be all over that.
So would I!! I have tried Cymbalta without any drastic results....and I've been diagnosed long enough that I thought I knew something about fibro...according to these people I don't know a thing. If I could learn to meditate and stretch properly and make it go away I'd be all over THAT too!! The problem is getting into that true meditative state. I don't know how to do it....how to shut out everything else and just be. Even if I could when I was done meditating I'm quite certain the pain would be right there all over again.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
(female)

kellibear HB User

my guess would be that they didn't really have fibro, or maybe they were stretching the truth a bit

Old 06-01-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i agree with kelli...meditation is suppose to be calming though, and fibro needs calm, not stress to feed on. also, i have stretched for 30 yrs and am not cured. i have never tried meditation. sometimes i will go into remission for a whole day! fibro has no cure..just as ms and arthritis don't!
take care....bevann

Old 06-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Would this have been an infomercial or something? I don't believe these women had fibro. They may have had some sort of pain condition that was helped with these exercises but there is not a cure for fibro. Now that fibro is coming to the forefront there will be a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon and making claims that aren't true. Facts are we live with pain everyday, the way we choose to deal with that pain is what helps us. We search for a good doc and find the right protocol of meds and vitamins if we choose, we eat a healthly diet if it helps and we exercise. Like you all have stated, it doesn't make fibro go away it only helps.

Glojer

Last edited by Glojer; 06-01-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
(female)

Ishla HB User

I am seriously suspicious of this one. It's a pretty good chance that the drug company that makes the " mysterious anti-depressant " also made this show with a slant towards their product as relieving all the symptoms.

Sorry, I'm just a very untrusting individual when it comes to things "too good to be really true". lol.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

I'm with Ishla (and the rest of you!).
I'm suspicious of the film too. You think if it were all that easy we wouldn't know about it yet?!? I've been stretching and doing water exercise plus yoga when I'm good for years. FM is not curable period.
Wishing you peace and comfort,
Paddy

Old 06-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
(female)

This was on an educational cme (credit) for healthcare workers! It had 3 doctors on it, one rheumy, 2 psychiatrists who deal with women's diseases and illnesses. The women shown were patients of one of the psych doc's and they were just living life, going about their business, said they don't need pain meds and that the key to fibro is "forcing yourself to get out of bed in the morning and DOING things" well, there are days I just CAN NOT do anything. I was seriously annoyed by some of the things they said on this show. Nurses and doctors watch this show to get educational credit they need to keep their licenses current. I was SO offended I am tempted to write the station that had the show. I don't know if I can say what channel but it's related to Discovery.

I wrote another post where these doctors said they do not, ever, RX opiods for fibro pain. I know the methadone I take doesn't get rid of the nerve pain, thats what my Lyrica is for, but I will tell you I can't live my life without my pain meds. I'm not addicted, I simply need them as any asthmatic would need their inahlers.

I don't know...I sat there thinking of all the healthcare workers watching this and how they will now view fibro. They DID say it is a very debilitating illness, very real, and substantiated by different lab results in spinal taps, etc. So they validated it, but in the same breath they made it look like it could be so easily managed with one pill or mind over matter.

I'm with you guys...if these women had fibro they didn't have it as bad as I do. AND, I do get out of bed every day because I have kids who rely on me, and I exercise, walk my dogs, do laundry, etc, and it only makes me hurt more!

UGH! I'm not a happy camper!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Ok now I get it. I really believe that having the right attitude about fibro is one of the key factors in how we manage it. What I don't believe is if these women really had fibro that one psych doc could cure them. Sorry but fibro is not a psych disease as you said the video stated it is real and it is painful. If this doc is such a miracle worker then why can't we all be touched by his healing hand. I'd stand in line for that and so would everyone else that suffers from fibro if he could really heal them.

We all get up every morning and get going, we have to. The difference is, we have spent the night in pain and not sleeping well, we then get up and get going with pain and in order to keep from losing our minds over having so much pain and not sleeping we take our meds. The sleeping problems I have with fibro, cannot be cured with a good attitude. Believe me I'm the eternal optimist, I make people around me sick with my pollyanna attitude sometimes. If I don't take a sleeping pill I don't sleep and I hurt even more the next day, but I still get up and get going.

Sandy, I hope these medical personnel do like a lot of people who have to watch things to get continueing ed credit for licensing, take it all with a grain of salt and take out anything that is logical and trash can the rest.

Glojer

Old 06-02-2008, 02:35 AM   #11
(female)

suzannez82 HB User

It's also important to realize that because someone got better after a certain intervention, doesn't mean that that intervention is what "cured" them... Basically, whatever a person who went into remission was doing is what they will think cured them. Which is why they do clinical trials with control groups. Most medical professionals realize this, and won't let self reported cures from two people color their views on a disorder too much.

As for antidepressants for pain, it seems like doctors aren't very good at explaining this, but the idea behind it is not that you're treating psycho-somatic pain. It's to alter the neurochemistry that's transmitting so many pain signals. Whatever the mechanism, it helps some of the people some of the time.

Meditation - there are several ways to meditate, you have to find a way that works for you. You're not trying to shut your thoughts off and detach, just focus them more on a sensation, such as a mantra or breathing or sound, and less on your regular thoughts. When you succeed, your body will start relaxing and your breathing become lighter. I don't think meditation cures anything - it's certainly not worth the stress of another should-do in the back of your mind. But it helps some people a lot with pain management, and physiologically that makes some sense.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I don't know about perfect remission, but people sometimes do get better with time, therapy trial and error, and God's grace.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in early 2000. For about 3-4 years I was in pretty bad shape. I was never as badly off as some people, but I couldn't sleep more than 6 hours at a stretch before pain woke me, I wasn't able to work full-time, and could only work at jobs that didn't place much demand on my hands, and, during the winter of 2003, on some days the pain got so bad I couldn't leave the house.

At this point, I'm significantly better than I was then. I'm told I no longer have fibro. Funny, I still have the same symptoms, but, because they're not as bad, the disease now has a different name.

I take the tricyclic antidepressant nortriptyline, which fights my nervous system's tendency to amplify and echo and repeat any pain it's given. I was also on the antispasmodic baclofen for a while, to relax the permanently locked muscles of my neck and shoulders. I found a yoga coach who specialized in people with health/mobility problems, and we worked out a routine that I could do. My new husband gives better and gentler massages than any professional I've ever found. All of these, I believe, helped, as did getting rid of some of the stress in my life.

I'm not cured. I will probably have pain in my neck, upper/lower back, arms, and hips for the rest of my life. When I was younger, I was very black and white about it. Either it was permanent and my life was ruined, or there was a cure. Now, I am about 80% better compared to my worst point. The problems that remain usually don't interfere with me living a normal life. (I've also changed my expectations about what constitutes normal, but I am employed full time at a carefully selected job, and have a decent social life).

I'm not saying I've found the cure for fibro, or that you're doing something wrong if you aren't better yet, or that what worked for me will necessarily work for you. I'm just saying that sometimes people do improve.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:07 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

I watched a show, had Drs who deal with fibro....it wasn't an infomercial.

These women did yoga and took one med. And wham they are down to pain levels of 0-1!

Do i believe they are cured? Maybe, but not sure if they had fibro to begin with.

Since Im pregnant and cannot take meds Im willing to try anything......so I myself am trying the Yoga for pregnancy. I figured can't hurt. Do I believe it will cure me? Umm, NO

Hope

Old 06-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzanne welcome to the board and thanks for the great info. That's what we like on this board info and ideas to use and to think about.

Glojer

Old 06-05-2008, 04:39 AM   #15
(female)

ctheri HB User

I was in "remission" for a while. Sure... ! If I didnt eat things that triggered my Fibro, didn't push myself beyond my known limits.... Yes.. I was in "remission" -- but for someone with Fibro, I think true remission is being able get out of bed that day. Remission is not having a massive flare. I still had my pain - but it wasn't a "stop you in your tracks" kind of pain. I worked very hard to find my limits and my triggers...

Now, something else is triggering my Fibro and until I figure it out - thank god for meds to help me get out of bed in the morning!

Looking forward to the next "remission",
Cindy

Closed Thread