It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User
Vitamins D &/or B help?

I've seen some posts here and there in which people described vitamins for fibromyalgia. I would like to hear from anyone who has specifically tried Vitamin D as well as B Complex or specific B's. How much did you take, and what impact did it have, if any? I started to take D two weeks ago.
Thanks,
Wishing you peace and comfort,
Paddy

Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User
Re: Vitamins D &/or B help?

Paddy, I take Vit D 2000 mg. a day, my rheumy wanted me to do that after I tested low for vitaminD in a blood test. I also take a Vit B, it is a multiple B, called Stress B. I did not notice a significant impact from the D vitamin right away. But I take a wide range of vitamins in doses I feel help me so to increase one vitamin may not have any impact for me. I have periods of time when I don't get my vitamins taken regularly and I do notice a difference if this goes on for a few weeks. On the other hand when I am regular with all my vitamins I do feel better, but of course I have to stay the course and take them regularly for several weeks or even a month or two to start noticing any difference. We are all different and some people may notice a change sooner than others. If I had to venture a guess, I would say I am an indiviual who does not notice a significant change with vitamins or most medications. Rather it is a gradual thing for me. I can think of only a few times I was totally awed by a medical treatment or drug or anything OTC.

I wish you a faster return on your vitamins than me. Don't give up on them though if you don't notice a drastic change within a short time. I firmly believe that vitamins are very good for us and it takes a long time sometimes to work out the regimen you need. I hope you wake up some morning and say, "Oh boy that vitamin D is wonderful!" Never give up!

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Ok paddy let me amend some of my previous post. I take 2000 IU of vitamin D not MG. If I am not mistaken IU stands for international units, but don't count on me I didn't know my IU's from my MG's. My vitamin B tablet includes B1, B2, B6, B12, folic acid, bioten, pantothenic acid, and vitamin C.

Sorry about that, I don't know if taking over the counter Vitamin D is different than prescription Vitamin D and if it is measured any different. Anyway, I really think it helps. I just don't feel that big zap right away from the things I take.

Glojer

Old 06-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
(female)

Ishla HB User

Hi Paddy,

I was diagnosed as very low on D, and moderately low on B-12. The doctor prescribed an extra strong prescription only vitamin D, and said take an otc B-12. After 3 months on the super strength D, and the otc B, I was to continue with the otc B, and switch to otc D. (reading back that looks kinda complicated...lol)

Anyway, I opted for the B-complex because it contained the B-12 I needed and Doc said that was fine. That means that I am taking exactly what you asked about. I don't really feel any different as far as the Vit. D goes, no less pain, no better fog problems, etc.... but within an hour of taking the B complex, I get a rise in my sense of energy. Not a great amount, but enough to get around a little better. It lasts several hours. I do notice on the days that I forget it that I have no stamina at all... so it is a very good incintive to take that B-complex "horse pill" every day.
Hope this helped... and hope you feel better.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
(male)

Irry88 HB User

I take vita b complex (1500 MG) with a multivitamin and natural juice which I am afraid to promote here lol This all has really helped me.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
(female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User

My Vitamin D was REALLY low so I'm on a weekly script of 50,000 IUs and I'm supposed to take 400 IUs daily.

I'm a terrible vitamin/pill taker - most things seem to upset my stomach.

I'm taking the Vit D, Effexor, and doing aquatherapy. This combination seems to be helping, as does the warmer weather.

I'm going to try working my first full time week this coming week - it's been a few months since I've done that!

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

Oh my gosh, I lost my post it just went poof!

Anyway, I'll start again....
Thanks all of you for your info re vitamins.
I will stay on the D. The B's that I'm on were recommended by my doc who said the meds I take "eat up" any of the B's I get in my diet. It's not all the B's because niacin (or niacinimide) gives me major sweats - big time!
So I take B6, B12, with folic acid. Which I understand is now being marketed for lowering homocystine levels in the blood of heart patients.
So just started the D vitamin 2 weeks ago, so jury's still out on outcome.
Wishing you peace and comfort,
Paddy

Closed Thread