It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User
fibro and weight gain

I am scared to say how much weight I have gained since my battle with fibromyalgia, and chronic pain. I have always been below 140, and know am no longer their. I just saw a picture of me, the picture was taken yesterday and I am plump. Ohhhh, that bugs me, for years, when I met my husband I was 115, then I gained weight once we got married, then I had my first son, and exercised, went to the gym 5-6 days a week, and weighed 125, it was perfect. Then I had my second son and did well with weight gain, I gained 25 lbs, and was 138 6 months after having him. I looked ok. That was 2 years ago and now I am so upset at how I look and feel.

Am I alone, or have a lot of us gained weight since having fibro, and having to take medications everyday. How can we lose weight? I get on the treadmill and walk for 20 minutes, in the afternoon I seemed to hurt more and almost like a flare up. My arms and legs are throbbing, what I am to do? I want to look good again, without hurting more. Any suggestions?

I hope I am not alone. I feel again like I have let my husband down, I feel like a fat slob. I have been taking walks over the last couple days, about 20 minutes with the boys, and also using weights for my upper body. I am going to keep doing this, and watch what I eat, but can anybody help with what else I can do? What to avoid?

Thank you so very much.

Kassandra

Old 06-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
(female)

Shays mom HB User
Re: fibro and weight gain

I was a skinny child and only weighed 103 when I married at 19. I have gained weight over the past 15 years and am only now realizing that everything I have been through adds up to fibro symptoms. I eat very little but it seems I could live on donuts or lettuce and my weight doesn't seem to change. I am still hoping to feel well enough to do a water exercise class soon. You are so not alone in the weight gain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Kass, no you are not alone. From everything I have read the typical weight gain for someone with fibro is 60lbs. I know when I started gaining weight and I know when my fibro started....around the same time. My thyroid went hypo when my son (second and last baby) was born and I didn't know it. A lot of us fibromights have thyroid problems. I did the roller coaster dieting, when I had time and depending on how I felt. That didn't help, but I weighed 90lbs. when I got married and never had to worry about what I put in my mouth cause I never gained any weight.

I think there are a lot of reasons we gain weight with fibro, being so fatigued is to me the main one. We have to get through the part of fibro where we are trying to get the right medicine protocol and vitamins (if you take them) and sleep and then we can think about diet and exercise. Always eating healthy of course is the best thing to always do but when we are so exhausted all the time that is the last thing I wanted to do.

I have finally started to lose some weight but even with my thyroid finally in a good range and my life settling in to retirement and meds and vitamins I think really help, it is still a struggle. I am very resistant to weight loss, and I can't remember the phrase but believe me I have exercised and watched my eating for several years now and the weight just hangs on. I walk on my treadmill with 2lb. weights on my ankles for 1mi. and then use weights to do arm and leg exercises and I also do stretches. I do this at least 3times a week and of course more when I have time. My weight loss is a very slow 2lbs. a month and if I eat any sugar (shays mom donuts are my passion) I can forget about any weight loss that month.

Now this is not to say I haven't lost weight over the last 4yrs. but it is a struggle. You have young children, you are under a lot of stress and that effects your efforts at weight loss. Another thing that will sabatoge any effort on your part.......don't lose weight for your husband because you think you have let him down. Lose weight for yourself, because it will make you feel better. Losing weight is a personal thing, you have to do it for yourself and when you feel you are ready that is when you will be successful.

My advice is to do it now when you are young and try to establish those great eating and exercise habits, because when you are postmenopausal and try to lose weight without those raging hormones it is so much harder....giggle!

Don't forget also, some of the meds we take can cause weight gain and if we don't realize that and it gets ahead of us, it is an uphill battle. I take prednisone a famous med for weight gain, but I have actually been able to lose weight on the prednisone. It helps my pain so I can exercise but most of all I was aware of the weight gain effect and have been very cautious (paranoid might be a better word) about it since starting on prednisone. The same thing with salt, it can make you crave salt, and I never use to salt anything on my plate or when I cooked. Only because my hubby will pick up the salt shaker and salt his whole plate before even tasteing it, and he has high blood pressure. Anyway I noticed about 9mo. ago I was salting things on my plate and realized oops that's not good. Now I have to be aware of picking up that shaker.

Yes, fibro can cause weight gain but we can make a choice. It just takes time sometimes to get all our ducks in a row to make that choice.

Glojer

Old 06-11-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Thank you both for answering me. I need to get my ducks in a row. I want to lose weight so badly. When I get on the treadmill and walk for 30 min., later on in the day, my body is flaring in to a fibro flare, and I question whether the exercise was worth it. If I keep walking will it get easier?

I know I need to watch my sugar, actually cut it out of my diet. Then I want to eat less carbs, like bread. I have a hard time eating, and can only eat soft foods most of the time, with my battle with tmj/jaw issues. I did not exercise today, but I did do some shopping at target today twice with the boys, and I chased them around. So I count today. After each trip, my feet throbbed and were burning. I can only stand on my feet for about an hour. My feet right now, are hurting and I can't do any more.

I love any more suggestions. Thanks guys for the helping me.

Kassandra

Old 06-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Yes kass it gets easier. The trick to doing exercise with fibro is to start slow and work your way up to bigger and better things. Did you have the sore feet thread? Anyway getting the proper insoles for your shoes and of course wearing the right shoes is very important. I always forget you youngsters wear more stylish shoes. I did when I was younger. Now, after years of foot problems, I wear what is comfortable and what keeps my feet from hurting. I only wear nice or dress shoes when I have to get dressed up for something and thank goodness in todays society you don't have to dress up for many things.
Glojer

Old 06-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
(female)

Donna1964 HB User
Smile Re: fibro and weight gain

Hi Kass,
You can do it! The keys are increasing heart rate, cardio, and gentle. Before my husband had to change jobs, which put is in a financial bind, I was going to Curves. It seemed to be just right for me. For the first time in almost twenty years I lost weight, 20 lbs to be exact. I have managed to keep it off but now that I can't go I haven't been able to loose more. I'm still experimenting with how much is enough without being too much. On my best days it's low impact DVD's (you know, the crazy curly headed guy that had a show in the 80's, can't say because of the supposed rule against brand mentioning). On other days it's just walking. On the worst days it's limited to stretching and a few light (1lb) weights. I try to pack farther from the store entrances and such. Not so much with the stairs unless it's a good day, my knees and ankles are weak on bad days. Don't forget the fat free or low fat milk. It's important. Forget the old taboo about milk on a diet, the D is important and milk has been found to help you loose. I know with kids it can be hard but try to eat small meals plus snacks instead of three large meals. It keeps your blood sugar level and helps your digestion.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Kass - In every thread that I have been reading lately that you are having questions about (issues) it always comes back to wanting to be a good wife and pleasing your husband... PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE AS I LOVE YOU DEARLY.... I don't know who said it earlier in the thread but you cannot lose weight for your husband... you have to want to lose it for yourself, that is the only way you will be successful... You are a beautiful woman, amazing mother of two wonderful boys and more of a loving wife than I would ever be to your husband....(I don't want you to be upset by the last part but I know what is going on with your husband and the way he treats you) Now then...

With all the stress you keep bottled up it creates cortisol in your body which makes you gain weight along with some of the meds you may be on.... The stress you have is a big thing with the weight, you have got to let some of that go and most of that stress is all that guilt you carry around....

The other day, I either saw something on TV or read it somewhere (can't remember, fibrofog) that women look in the mirror and find everything that is wrong with them, that is just what we do.... Whatever I saw or read said that woman need to go back to the mirror and look and find all the good things about themselves and I am sure when you do that you will find plenty of good things about yourself... Once you do this, it will help building you self-esteem up and then you can start working on losing weight for yourself if that is what YOU want to do... You probably think that you have to do a set amount of exercise... Do you know that housework is exercise, running after those two boys are exercise??? Buy a cheap pedometer and clip it onto your shorts/pants... you may be surprised at how many steps you take in a day.... They say 10,000 steps a day is what is best for you... It may sound like a lot but you will be surprised at how many you get it during the day just doing normal stuff... If you are having a bad day and don't get them all in so what maybe you will feel alot better the next day or so and get more than 10,000 steps in... Then your next step can be to watch what you eat such as the breads/carbs and the sugars.... Losing 1-2 lbs a week is what they say is best because they say that amount of weight loss is something that you will keep off... Drinking water helps you to lose weight also....

The big thing is that stress factor making that cortisol, remember that.... I in no way would ever hurt you or disrespect you and I hope you know that... I only want the best for you and I think you are a beautiful woman and human being... Hang in there my friend. I am sending my angels to watch over you... Jenn :ange l:

Old 06-12-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
(female)

lynn41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kass3175 View Post
Thank you both for answering me. I need to get my ducks in a row. I want to lose weight so badly. When I get on the treadmill and walk for 30 min., later on in the day, my body is flaring in to a fibro flare, and I question whether the exercise was worth it. If I keep walking will it get easier?

I know I need to watch my sugar, actually cut it out of my diet. Then I want to eat less carbs, like bread. I have a hard time eating, and can only eat soft foods most of the time, with my battle with tmj/jaw issues. I did not exercise today, but I did do some shopping at target today twice with the boys, and I chased them around. So I count today. After each trip, my feet throbbed and were burning. I can only stand on my feet for about an hour. My feet right now, are hurting and I can't do any more.

I love any more suggestions. Thanks guys for the helping me.

Kassandra

KASS:

I also have all the issues you have, but only have one young son. I commend you for trying to exercise!! I've been so despondent over my health that I can't muster the energy or the ability to "work through the pain" and exercise. After losing two hours in my day to a commute, having a demanding job, and a 5 year old son to take care of each and every day (who is my joy in life and reason for living) I just can't get my ducks in a row to exercise. As a result, I've gained 40 lbs since all this started with the fibro and feel huge, unattractive, etc. So, my heart goes out to you and wanted you to know that I truly understand how you feel. I keep hoping for some way to overcome the fibro - conquer it - or something, so I can get back on track. It hasn't happened yet for me. Maybe after I have had fibro longer, I'll be more adjusted to it - but I question how I will ever "adjust" to the pain.

I just try to survive one day at a time. Like I said, my son keeps me going (as I'm sure your two little ones keep you going) and I try to remind myself that I am fortunate compared to some people who have life threatening conditions. Some days though, I have a pity party for myself and wonder how in the world did I get to the point I'm at now and sure can't figure out how a woman who used to jog 3 miles a day and be a healthy weight can be this huge person I see in the mirror now.

Then, I slap myself around and try to get a grip. Hang in there!!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

Thank you all for responding. I do want to lose weight for myself. It is so hard to do that when you are in pain. I went to my doctor today and we talked about exercise, and I asked about fibro flaring and exercise (30 min, walking 3.5 pushing to 4.0) and he said it is too much. I need to take slow, easy, gentle walks and be good to myself. Just be kind, and take it easy. I am going to focus on taking boys for walks around the block everyday. A large part of getting up to do it, is lack of energy, and pain. How do we get around that?

I think as, Jenn, has mentioned, sometimes my life is not easy, and I need to work on pleasing myself, and working on me, what I want, and need. I want to be healthy. My adrenal glands are shot, gone. I do not know how to repair them, any suggestions?

I recently wanted a change, and was frustrated with medications making me sweat, so I got my hair cut, and she cut it off. I like it, it is easy, but I do not like how it fits my body. I did not think I would react that way, and take it out on myself so hard. I am not sure if I can get extensions, but I would do it if I could.

I want to be healthy for myself and our boys. My mother died at 46, from coronary artery disease. I believe she had fibro, as she had a lot of body pain. She just used to say something was wrong and she did not feel right. Is there anything that you guys have found to help us feel better, us fibromites, or help us jump start our metabolism? Are there any books that anybody would suggest?

Bottom line, I want to lose weight for me. I know that the large issue is cortisol. I have never had a bellly, I have always had a nice hour glass figure, now I have a larger stomach. I love your suggestions. Would any body like to join me in a challenge? I would love to work along with somebody, now that the weather is better here in Maine, or as many people who would like to better there health.

All my love and appreciation to all,

Kassandra

Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

Kass - God Bless you my friend as you try so very hard... I will tell you that you have more will power than I do... I do get up everyday at 5:30 or 6 am without fail... I have to so that I can take my first round of meds.. I may sit in the recliner for an hour or two afterwards due to the side effects... After that, I will start on my laundry, take a break, start on dusting, take a break, do dishes as little as possible because I break to many and very rarely fix dinner because everyone in my house is on a different schedule and when I try to make dinner I forget that I was doing it and so I burn it sooooo, I have pretty much given up on that chore.... Taking a shower is a huge chore in itself and I use to be the type that would take one every day and most days two a day, now, maybe I take a shower 3 or 4 times a week... The only time I put on something other than my light sweat pants is if I have a doctors appointment because all my other clothes hurt... Putting on makeup and doing my hair, forget it unless I have a doctors appointment, why bother, I don't go anywhere anyways... No its not a pity party, I am trying to show you how much you do....

Before my fibro got really bad, I use to work out to the advanced TaBoe for an hour everyday and then ride my bike 12-14 miles everyday, I am not kidding, and then I would walk my dogs for about 2-3 miles, I was obsessed with exercising, so much so that my doctor told me that I was abusing my body and that my muscles needed to rest some days but I just couldn't quit... They believe between all the exercising and a go cart accident that that is what knocked the fibro into high gear...

I can't even walk my dogs anymore because one of them weighs about 130 lbs and he would just drag me down the street with my face in the concrete, not a pretty picture...

Now, the one thing I do save what strength I do have is that I have been going to see my parents alot lately, more so than I see my husband at home because he is working to much and I am tired of sitting in a box of a house all alone all the time... So I go to my parents who live at the lake to help with my grandma and then, I get to help with all of my mom's many gardens everywhere and believe me there are many... Last week we worked outside for 3 straight days in 95 degrees weather and I worked my butt off and hurt like hell but boy was it worth it, I felt so alive. I went home two days ago and guess what, I am already back down at my parents and I am probably going to stay until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week... There is a lot of work to be done here... Due to some of my meds I am not supposed to get overheated by being outside on hot days or by exercising because I cannot regulate my core body temperature but hey, I have to live a little

I know you want to look good and lose the weight but there is something you can do to start feeling better until you get to where you want to be... I will give you a challenge if you will accept.... I want you to start noticing people (women) of all sizes and shapes and watch how they carry themselves..... The one's who are carrying their heads held high with smiles on their faces are filled with self-confidence and I guarantee you will find one's of all shapes and sizes, just look for them... Self-confidence and self-esteem can make anyone look beautiful, just look around you and you will see what I am talking about...

I have another challenge for you because I know this one will be the easiest of them all.... Everyday when you get up, I want you to go to the mirror and look at yourself, really look at yourself in the mirror and repeat to yourself, I am beautiful.... Say it out loud 5 times everytime you are in front of the mirror... You need to start from within and before you know it, the outside will match the inside... I believe in you.... Take the challenge

So what if your hair is short right now, you don't need extensions, it will grow back... Know that you are beautiful at anytime in your life.... Jenn

Closed Thread