It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
(female)

lynn41 HB User
bone pain?

Is bone pain common with fibromyalgia? I'm not talking about joint pain, or muscle pain, but pain in one place (upper thigh bone) that is persistent, doesn't change with position, exercise, or anything. It's not constant, but can bring me to me knees sometimes when it hits. Just wondering if this is yet another fibromyalgia problem. Thanks for any replies.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User
Re: bone pain?

Hi Lynn,

I've had this for over 15 years and I've never heard of anyone having bone pain with it and I do try to keep up on this and research. You maybe should tell your doctor and be very clear that it is NOT soft tissue pain.

Bone pain just isn't right, for various reasons. I have disc and tailbone pain, but it has nothing to do with fibro. It's degenerating from an injury from years and years ago.

Keep us posted on this please.

AnneBoleyn

Last edited by DeBeachSiren; 08-09-2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: forgot something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
(female)

lynn41 HB User

Thanks! I'm new to the fibromyalgia diagnosis and am suspect for Lupus, but wasn't sure what to think about this pain.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

lynn, I have just been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency and one of the symptoms is bone pain. Also muscle weakness and fatigue and not wanting to wake up. Just wanted to pass that along. If you haven't already you may want to get a vitamin D test done. It is just a blood test.

Glojer

Old 08-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Vitamin D!
And calcium/magnesium.
And no colas!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
i used to have bone pain in my shins. went on for a couple of years then went away. was it fibro? maybe. i know my vit D levels are good. plenty of sunshine and good food.
talk with your doc about it. always good to have everything tested so you know what is going on within, or at best you know what is not going on, giggle.
i hope you feel better soon.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 08-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Lynn,
I agree with the others here about your vitamin D level.
I too was suffering with bone pain in different areas just about every other day for a year and more. all I know is that I couldnt' do what I used to do without paying a price for it. normal things like having to cook a holiday meal or raking the yard, gardening on my knees, or bending, or what ever.
I'm in my 40's so thought maybe this is supposed to start happening.
but as time went on, it only got worst.
my family dr sent me to a rheumatologist who diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. and yes, my bones hurt too. my spine, my knee bone, my hip, my neck, and especially deep in the bone of my spine. I couldn't even turn over in bed without agony at night. it was horrible. it hurt everywhere. Not just tissue and muscle.
I took the medicine he prescribed and went back for a return checkup.
on that visit he asked me if I was getting anybetter. My answer to that was "no, only worst".
I could see him thinking to himself as I was getting ready to leave the office and out of the clear blue sky he asked me if any other doctors I've seen had my vitamin D level checked? No one had ever thought of it.
they're not used to ordering it I guess. more and more dr's are becoming aware now that more people are becoming D deficient.
reason being that there's simply not enough of this vitamin in the foods we eat. Our skin produces it by the sun. If we put on sun blocker, it not only blocks the harmful rays of the sun, but also the low levels of the sun that's needed by the skin to produce the vitamin.
the scare and increase of skin cancer started rising in the 70's.
ever since then the increase of being vitamin D deficiency has escalated.

they're doing research on it now and are finding out a lot of important things about vitamin D.
they did studies on woman who had breast cancer and these patients all had low amounts of vit. D in their bodies.
they also think it can be related to colon cancer and other diseases.

It wouldn't hurt to ask your dr. to have this test performed.
it's a Vitamin D,25-OH
therapy is based on measurment of total 25-OHD with levels less than 20 indicative of Vit. D deficiency, while levels of 20 and 30 suggest and INSUFFICIENCY. Optimal levels are higher than 30, the best being at 100.

My rheumy doctor told me the ideal would be 100. Mine was 19.

I can not tell you how much better I started feeling as soon as I started therapy for it. I'm not saying all of my pain has dissapeared, but the achiness and pain of my fibromyalgia isn't as bad like it used to be.
It's still there on the pressure points, or what ever they call those points. I still get tired on certain days and listen to my body and rest accordingly.

All that suffering I went thru all because one little blood test was forgotten.
so now I try to spread the word of this sunshine vitamin that's so important for our bodies to function healthy with optimal levels of it.

Have you had any type of bone scans on your hip? They also did a dexa scan and xray and found out I have osteoporosis and degenerative joint disease (which is, osteoarthritis) I was just diagnosed with this at age 47.
which I think is all caused by having had the low vitamin D level so low for God only knows how long?

I wish you the best and hope they're able to find out the cause of your pain so that you can start therapy for it.

Lintek

Old 08-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Not all symptoms are attributed to FMS. It is kind of a trick sorting out the different symptoms and to know which needs attention and which is the same old muck. I had a tumor growing on my parathyroid gland which stimulated the release of too much calcium from my bones. This dang thing caused intense bone pain and took awhile for the medical community to figure out. All the doctor had to do was perform a blood test for calcium levels to know the prospects (but did that happen - nooooooo). I finally had a really good internist figure out this tumor thing. After I had the one parathyroid gland removed, along with the tumor, the aching stopped within 3months.

Bye!
Kirstee

Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

lintek good job on the vitD deficiency. I have just been reading up on it, my vitD level was 17.5 and I take supplements and eat right etc.. I had the dexa done I think two years ago so will be getting another soon. Maybe it was last year.....fibro fog.....can't remember. Anyway I was ok on the osteoporasis but how long has my vitD been so low, no telling what damage has been going on. You gave us all some great info to think about thanks.

Glojer

Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

Kirstee,
I too thought of the parathyroid, but only because I had stumbled on it by doing my own research about vitamin D levels and reasons being why it can be low.
I JUST got the results last week. Mine is fine.
another thing I noticed on my lab results was another sheet that had the words Calcium and PTH when she first did the vit. D test and she hadn't ordered those two specific tests. Just the Vit D test. I'm wondering now if she should run a test on my calcium levels?

the first rheumy dr I went to who thought of testing the D level also said to me in passing something about the calcium level and saying it wasn't affected with the D level. i had no idea what he meant until I learned how they work closely together in balance.
so I"m assuming he automatically asked for that to be tested without my knowledge of him doing so.
but I never got the results in my hand to actually see what he was talking about. he only gave me the vit. D page to me. So I'll never know if it was ever tested for sure.

not that it's a big deal or anything like I'm making it sound. I'm compulsive in nature at times and like things to be in order. I don't like not knowing if I can know. if this makes sense?

I feel bad for you that you had an actual tumor. thank GOD they found it.
so that's how they know to test the parathyroid is when the calcium is too high or too low?
were you suffering other symptoms besides the bone pain or fibro pains?

Glojer,
I had to laugh about the fibro fog, even though it's not actually funny, I had to laugh to myself because I can relate so much to what you're saying. Mine has become better, which I dont know what it's due to. whether it be the supplements of D I took or because I was taken off a certain medication that's given for epilepsy but also used to treat bipolar.
I have bipolar and can not for the life of me find a medication that suits me. all of them give me such horrible side effects. It seems they're more harmful to me than good. I am trying a new approach to my health and the mind by researching a completely different way of eating and life style.
more rest, less acidic foods and more alkalizing foods and drinking loads of water, which I dont like! Not only does it make you drop weight, but I also see wonderful benefits of my memory return, my return of smell, which was really bothering me that I was losing it gradually for a couple years now. I can't smell all things. only ceratain ones. it's like a dulled sense of smell.

I never till now in my life realized how important what we put into our bodies makes on us. If our bodies are high in acid from the food's we eat. I'm just learning that by eating foods that alkalizing, it can make our pain go away. It also can cure diabetes type 2. not to mention other illnesses. it's proven.
the scientist who did the studies on this for years has written a few books on it and his wife has written two cook books with all the things what not to eat and what to eat. its' very interesting. and, it's not a craze or a diet. it's a way of living.
they say to delete the acidic foods gradually, so that it's not an impossible task, or what might seem like an impossible task. after all, one has to learn how to stop eating the only way they know how to because our culture is what taught us what to eat. the food pyramid. How do we know which to listen to? so we test it for ourselves and see if it's true.
you gradually take out red meat and then pork, and then poultry, then the fish, etc.
you get your protein and minerals from greens and other rich foods high in vitamins. it's just a whole way of learning how to food shop all over again and how to prepare food and eat again.
I'm finding it's fun and I love the results I"m getting in my body, my skin, my hair, and the way I feel. It takes work. nothing is easy. If it claims to be, then it's not solid and I don't trust it.

oh, plus I"m trying to incorporate exercise by using a machine that has no weights on it. you use your own body weight which is amazing.and you either put the bench high to make it stronger, or lower to the floor for beginners. the bench is on an incline. It has pulleys on it, hand pulleys and one for your feet so you can work on your thighs and buttocks. so actually your able to work every part of the body on this thing. it's truly amazing.
My 80 yr old mother in law comes down stairs to our apartment to use it in the mornings before she heads out to work. Can you imagine she still works a forty hour work week? I can't even do that. She gives me the inspiration to want to exercise which I'm guilty of not doing. especially with having the fibromyalgia and arthritis.
I just went for a long walk yesterday along the river and boy am I paying the price for it today. My left hip is KILLING ME!
I wonder if there will ever come a day that I won't hurt just from doing normal things?
I've only started my new way of eating and gradual exercise. so I'm trying.
at least I'm doing something, rather than nothing.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

schao HB User

HI there:

I have tons of bone pain. Right now I am in so much pain I just want to cry. I see my pain mgmt. doctor tomorrow to get this under control.

Kristee....how high were your calcium levels when you found out you had a parathyroid tumor??

schao

Old 08-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Hi Lintel:

The blood test alerted the internist to a high calcium level in my blood. The tumor stimulated the release of calcium which showed up as high levels in my blood system. He suspected a parathyroid problem so he ordered an ultrasonic imaging of my parathyroid glands. The tumor actually showed up on this test. The only outstanding and new symptom was the extreme bone pain - dang that hurt. The doctor who removed the mess told me it would take 3 months to feel better, but even that result was affected by FMS. HOWEVER, I did not know I had FMS at the time. YADA YADA YADA - who can relate to this story?!

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kristee....how high were your calcium levels when you found out you had a parathyroid tumor??

Hi Schao:

I just saw your question after I had responded to another question from another poster. It's been 15 years since I had the parathyroid tumor, so my memory does not serve me on how high my calcium levels were at the time of the discovery. The doctor was quite alarmed, however, when the discovery was made, so I suspect it was over the top. I still have my blood tested for high calcium levels every year to rule out a recurring bout of another tumor.

Bye!
Kirstee

Old 08-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #14
(female)

lynn41 HB User

Lintek: Thanks so much for your post! I have an appt. with a new rheumie late this month and will definitely bring this to his attention. Thanks again!

And thanks to everyone else - I will definitely be bringing this bone pain to the doc - it's intense and so different from the fibro crap.

Last edited by lynn41; 08-16-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:10 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

bcs4435 HB User

First off, you are all so informed! Having recently gone through testing, the RH Dr. tested for Vitamin D. It is a big deal and I am taking prescribed D due to very low D. I strongly suggest as others have, get the bone density test. I've been running for years, and when all the fibro started I had bone pain. Dr. did a bone density and the Osteoporosis is so bad, I take Forteo injections daily trying to build bone back. Boniva and the rest would not do me any good at this time. I need bone. So, look into that too. Both could be the causes of your bone pain.

Closed Thread