It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

May76 HB User
Tight Muscles Armpit

Just wondering if anyone else experiences tight muscles under the arm (armpit area). This seems to trigger a lot of my other symptoms. It is worse in my left armpit, but present in both.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User
Re: Tight Muscles Armpit

May76'

I have them sometimes, but not directly in the armpit, more to the outer side. It's on the left side right above my ribs where your bra would be. The knots don't ever seem to go totally away no matter how much massage is done on them. I can get a good share of them broken lying on the floor rolling the area on a golf ball. It does sort of cause entertainment to whoever happens to see it.....they know that I hurt, but it still looks pretty darn funny. If they really get into spasm, they effect my shoulder, then neck and then a real banger of a headache. If I can help it I don't wear a bra or hang my purse on my shoulder.

When we were rear-ended in a car accident I had my head turned toward the driver's side, so when we got hit my head went back to the left side instead of straight back. Knocked me out. I have more pain everywhere on my left than on my right. Just curious, did something similar happen to you?

AnneBoleyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #3
(female)

May76 HB User

Hello - Thanks for the response and sorry you have this tightness too. In November 2007 I got a BAD virus. After I was recovered, I was diagnosed with a herniated cervical disk (I think it was from sleeping with tons of pillows at an awkward angle). I had a few different symptoms and I've been wondering about FM. The tightness under the arm is one of the symptoms I have now. Not sure if it stems from the herniated disk or not - but it's on both sides.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Paddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB UserPaddy55 HB User

Hi May. My massage therapist is "working on" an area at the top of my arms where they meet my shoulders, and into the armpit. He's says it is very "bumpy" there, like a large twisted rope. Really hurts when he massages there. He says it is uncommon to have it like that, and that the muscles like that squish a lot of underlying nerves. We think that a lot of my arm and hand pain I am experiencing is referred from that area.
Just thought you would like to know.
Wishing you peace and comfort,
Paddy

Old 08-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
(female)

May76 HB User

Thanks for the response! Hopefully you're able to get some relief with the massage!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
(female)

psalm46 HB User

I am using massage and accupuncture to get rid of the "guitar strings" I have under my armpits. They don't usually cause much pain or discomfort, but if you feel them they are very, very tight and we're hoping that when we get those to relax the tight knots in my back and shoulders will start to give up as well.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
(female)

TiredOTired HB User

I am covered in knots all over, including my sides and under my arms. I have a severely stiff neck and tmj, in addition to fibro. I have tried massage, but could never afford enough treatments to fix the problem. I need daily deep tissue body wide for like months to get the knots out. I take baclofen daily and have taken other muscle relaxants daily for years. I cannot believe how knotted up I am. Even my calves are in knots. Grrrr.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOTired View Post
I am covered in knots all over, including my sides and under my arms. I have a severely stiff neck and tmj, in addition to fibro. I have tried massage, but could never afford enough treatments to fix the problem. I need daily deep tissue body wide for like months to get the knots out. I take baclofen daily and have taken other muscle relaxants daily for years. I cannot believe how knotted up I am. Even my calves are in knots. Grrrr.
May,

Yes, I have tightness in the armpit areas, kinda in front, esp on the right side. Fibro makes it way around the body and in the darndest places!

Pam

Closed Thread