It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
(female)

terrimaguire HB User
Kenalog Injections - My Progress

Hi Everyone,

I thought I posted this before, but I'm not seeing it on the message board list, so I will post again. I'm sorry in advance if you've seen my post earlier today.

This past Monday, I underwent a procedure at my pain physician's office. Under anesthetic of Propropyl (spelling?), Fentanyl and Verset (I believe), my physician made two Kenalog epidural injections; one to the lower base of my neck and another to the lower portion of my back. Kenalog is a low-dose cortizone, and I am told the procedure took about 30 minutes.

For three days now, I had been pain free -- something I have not enjoyed for many years. What joy I've felt from having some relief! Today, I was able to clean my house a bit and get some laundry done, tasks that before I avoided and which were very difficult to achieve. After doing the bit of housework, I do feel a small bit of pain in the small of my back, but none in my neck or shoulders like before.

I wanted to tell you all of this procedure. Who knows? Maybe this is something you too can investigate. Everything that I could find on Kenalog was pointing to it being a treatment for sinus and allergy problems. One member on another FMS support board wrote that she had these injections done for just that, but also felt relief of her FMS symptoms. I'm hoping that this latest pain subsides and that perhaps I overdid it a little bit today. Hopefully, the relief isn't just for three days. My doctor told me that if this treatment works for me, it could last 10 days or two weeks or even a whole month. That would be truly awesome. I have been praising the Lord like nobody's business.

I will keep you all informed of my progress. Maybe this can help you too.

Warmly,
Terri

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
(female)

tjhelser HB User
Re: Kenalog Injections - My Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrimaguire View Post
Hi Everyone,

I thought I posted this before, but I'm not seeing it on the message board list, so I will post again. I'm sorry in advance if you've seen my post earlier today.

This past Monday, I underwent a procedure at my pain physician's office. Under anesthetic of Propropyl (spelling?), Fentanyl and Verset (I believe), my physician made two Kenalog epidural injections; one to the lower base of my neck and another to the lower portion of my back. Kenalog is a low-dose cortizone, and I am told the procedure took about 30 minutes.

For three days now, I had been pain free -- something I have not enjoyed for many years. What joy I've felt from having some relief! Today, I was able to clean my house a bit and get some laundry done, tasks that before I avoided and which were very difficult to achieve. After doing the bit of housework, I do feel a small bit of pain in the small of my back, but none in my neck or shoulders like before.

I wanted to tell you all of this procedure. Who knows? Maybe this is something you too can investigate. Everything that I could find on Kenalog was pointing to it being a treatment for sinus and allergy problems. One member on another FMS support board wrote that she had these injections done for just that, but also felt relief of her FMS symptoms. I'm hoping that this latest pain subsides and that perhaps I overdid it a little bit today. Hopefully, the relief isn't just for three days. My doctor told me that if this treatment works for me, it could last 10 days or two weeks or even a whole month. That would be truly awesome. I have been praising the Lord like nobody's business.

I will keep you all informed of my progress. Maybe this can help you too.

Warmly,
Terri
I saw your post concerning Kenolog and your improvement as a result. I am happy for you.
I have been getting these injections(without the twilight sleep) for about 12 years. I have had Fibro for 25 and been diagnsed since 1991. I like most of us with Fibro also have other health issues and one of mine is chronic muscle spasms in the back of my head and neck & shoulders. These injections of Kenolog and muricaine in the scalen and osipitical muscles in my head and neck are the "fix' when I get so siezed up I cannot turn my head.
These injections have always been very helpful for me; so imagine my surprize when I really needed some injections to find out that after moving back to Oregon from Seattle WA where my internist was quite capable of giving me the injections to here in Oregon where I have to see either a neuorologist or a physiatrist?
I know this is a "fix" for me and I was incredibily annoyed after seeing my own primary who treats my pain well to discover he could/would not do them, sent me to the neuro guy who also cannot do them, who then sent me finally to the physiatrist. In Seattle all I needed to do was call and make the appointment and go see the doc who was prepared for the injections having been notified i was coming in for them.
I do not understand why medical care is not standardized in our country. I get that we're all different and that some treatments work better for some, and for some not at all.
When you the patient, the person in pain, knows what is going to help, why is it nessecary to have us jump through so many hoops and finacial charges?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Kenalog Injections - My Progress

hooray for you terri,
i am so happy you found some relief. thank you for sharing about it. i am on a waiting list for my fanny to get a magic shot.
i really am happy for you. i can just imagine you with a big smile. your happy face.
peace,
bluelakelady

Closed Thread