It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

Jane23 HB User
Curved neck? What does that mean?

So, I had x-rays taken of my neck and back and found out something sort of interesting. Apparently my neck is curved in entirely the wrong direction. It curves in a "C" out toward my back instead of being forwardly curved as it's supposed to be. He said in 20+ years he's seen only one patient as bad and they had been in a severe car accident.

Here's the thing: I haven't. I haven't been in any accidents, nor have I had any head injuries that I know of. I've been checked for MS, and I already knew I had a slight curviture in my lower back ... but those X-rays of my neck were wild, especially when side to side with a normal neck x-ray.

What do I do next? I'm going to the Rheumy on the 3rd and I'm going to take my x-rays ... but what does all of this mean? It's freaked me out a bit.
Anything you guys could tell me would be great.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
(female)

TiredOTired HB User
Re: Curved neck? What does that mean?

I do not have it curved backwards but am missing the curve it is supposed to have inwards. Do you have muscle strain in that area? I do. It hurts like heck. Basically, if your bones aren't where they are supposed to, sometimes it is your muscles pulling them away from where they are supposed to be. (Sometimes not, but just a thought.) My neck hurts like hell, I suppose yours does too? I am going to find out more soon. I hope you find answers as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hi, Jane! Just had to respond to a lady with the same name.

I also have a neck that is straight instead of curved at all. I'm told it's due to muscle spasm, I got some relief from trigger point injections in my shoulders, also from very careful neck stretches (ask the doctor what stretches are right for you.) I cannot do neck rolls, I like having my shoulders massaged, and it does relax the neck muscles a bit, but I cannot let the massage go above the collar bone, because it makes the spasms worse.

I also took muscle relaxants such as Soma or Flexeril, and anti-spasmodics such as Baclofen. All were helpful, all made me drowsy, although when I was on Baclofen around the clock, the drowsies wore off after a few days.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
(female)

Jane23 HB User

Thanks for replying guys, and hi Jane!! I must say you have a beautiful name! Heh.

Yes, I've got some serious pain going on in my neck and upper shoulders. I do have spasms, but they tend to be in my back. The worst side effect is migraines. Occasionally, if I can get my neck to pop, the migraines go away immediately. That's probably bad for me, but when you get headaches like that you'll try just about anything to make them go away.

I'll talk to the doctor about some stretches I might could be doing. Let me know what you find out as well, Tired. I'd be interested to know.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

GO TO A CHIROPRACTOR!!! They can get the curve back in your neck.

Your neck curves one way for a reason- to support your neck. When it can't, it affects the rest of your body.

Don't just take pain relievers or stretches- get that curve back!!!

Old 09-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Briteyes32 HB User

Hi Jane,

I to have been told I have my neck curve in the wrong why I was told that it can be fixed by having to wear a thing on my head with a weight on it when I'm home relaxing. that will put the curve back in the right direction. I didn't ask her for how long. But that did come from my Chiropractor. Hope that helps

Stacie

Closed Thread