It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

psalm46 HB User
Muscle Knots in Upper Back

Longtime Fibro sufferer and am finding the older I get - the worse my symptoms are getting.

Right now my biggest issue is the fact that the muscles in my upper back / neck area seem to be knotted so badly that they are locked up in cement. This causes headaches and poor sleeping.

Accupuncture, Chiropractor, muscle relaxers, massage and heat haven't helped. (have tried all over the past 3-4 months)

Anyone else with this problem ... and if so, how are you treating it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
(female)

fibro-worn HB Userfibro-worn HB User
Re: Muscle Knots in Upper Back

psalm46

I also am a long time fibro sufferer and have been having a terrible time with stiff ness and knots in the back of my neck and shouders causing bad headaches 24/7. Has my blood pressure way up. And i can't seem to find anything to help either have made an appt. to see dr for some other blood pressure meds but don't know if the headaches and fibro are causing the high blood pressure or if the high blood pressure is causing the headaches but i need to find relief. So I know what you going through. Just commenting but have no solutions for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Try botox injections in the affected muscles. I had good success with this protocol, along with physical therapy.

Blessings,
Kirstee

Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I am this way, too. I can't lie on my back for more than a minute without having to turn on my side: the trigger points and muscles are painful just touching anything.

My PT recommends heat. That works a bit when I'm putting a sock filled with beans,heated in the micro, on the painful spots, but the relief is very partial and doesn't last.

My neck and back are in spasm, my arms twitch...sigh. I am going to investigate Botox, much as I am afraid of it. Enough is enough here.

Let me know if you find anything that works. Have you looked into Botox? Muscle relaxants do anythng? They really don't, and they make me feel crappy,too.

All my sympathy,

Seaturtle

Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
(female)

sherryrenee0423 HB User

Do you have TMD? Jaw problems can affect the neck, shoulder and head muscles. I think that's where some of my knots come from.

Old 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #6
(female)

psalm46 HB User

I haven't been diagnosed with TMD.

"Only" IBS, Chronic Fatigue, depression, anxiety, lack of REM cycle sleep and a perfect score for all pressure points. Yup, overachiever right here.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
(female)

TiredOTired HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm46 View Post
Longtime Fibro sufferer and am finding the older I get - the worse my symptoms are getting.

Right now my biggest issue is the fact that the muscles in my upper back / neck area seem to be knotted so badly that they are locked up in cement. This causes headaches and poor sleeping.

Accupuncture, Chiropractor, muscle relaxers, massage and heat haven't helped. (have tried all over the past 3-4 months)

Thanks in advance.
I could have written this. Basically, I suffer. That has been what I have done. So far, no relief. Will be seeing an orthopedist soon. I will let you know if I have any luck.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
(female)

shrtcak81 HB User

I suffer from muscle knots in my upper back and neck as well! It's where I have the most pain. I haven't really tried anything to help with it other than pain relievers/creams. Although one time I tried trigger point therapy myself with a tennis ball up against the wall....wow that was a big mistake! I was hurting for weeks! I guess that maybe I didn't know what I was doing.
Crystal

Old 09-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
(female)

jessbcuz10 HB User

I had a severe neck and back injury when I was 19, so I always attributed the knots in my neck and upper back to that, However since having been triggered with fibromyalgia, they have gotten worse.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
(female)

luvfraz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm46 View Post

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
(female)

luvfraz HB User

I don't know if too much time has past, and folks aren't posting to this web, but just wanted to let you all know you are not alone. I have been dealing with this for almost a month now. Pain everyday in my upper left shoulder blade area. This happened to me about a year ago to the day and I saw an ortho doc. Took xrays and said the pain is being caused by some DDD in my neck. I am at my wits end with this pain. Have been seeing a massage therapist for the past 3 weeks with no relief to speak of.
Please send any suggestions to help this pain. I do sit at a desk all day, and i would say my stress level is high most days. Is it really possible for this stuff to be caused by stress?? I have been trying to drink a lot more water as the therapist told me muscles need a lot of water. I take a lot of motrin, muscle relaxers etc., just to try and get some relief....pain subsides when I lay down, but does not go completely away.
Thank you for listening..........

Old 05-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
(female)

kms1967 HB User

It's called Myofascial Pain Syndrome. A physiatrist (pain management doctor) can do trigger point injections. They work for about three months and while initially painful they feel great. NOTE: Myofascial Pain Syndrome has triggerpoints - Fibromyalgia has tender points. They are not the same thing.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #13
(female)

chicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB Userchicabella HB User

I also have Myofascial Pain Syndrome and I suffer exactly the way you all are describing suffering. The only thing I have found to help (but not cure) is... extra sleep, the right type of massage (I have been to about 15 therapists and it has to be relaxation massage), not looking down at work as much (I am constantly looking down and hurting those muscles), and stretching a LOT. Nothing takes them away, but sleep helps the most. I agree that muscle relaxers don't really work and make me feel weird, water is good, and I get injections. But mine only last for 1-2 days. How do you get relief for 3 months?

Old 06-05-2010, 03:12 AM   #14
(male)

socalXeno HB User

I kind of feel like the odd one here hehe, i am currently 21, diagnosed with fibromyalgia at 19(tested positive for 17 points) not really a long time sufferer but i have had really bad knots in my shoulders that run down to my mid back, have had this for around 6 months, i only sleep around 3-4 hours a night due to the constant adjustments needed to fall asleep. Muscle relaxer's help slightly if that and massages haven't helped. During the day i usually have to readjust my neck and shoulder's to relieve some of the pain, if i don't the pain becomes too much. About 4 months ago i lost my insurance so no more pain management etc, can anyone recommend something to lessen the need for the constant adjustments?

-Shane

Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
(female)

NCUS4 HB User

I have the same problem. Those knots are normal for fibro.I also have them in my thighs and forearms. I use a therapy called "touch therapy". The trained fibro therapist GENTLY massages your problem areas. The best part is when she Gently pulls your head up. Sounds awful, but after a few visits you look forward to it. There is a name for these knots, I just can't think of them right now. The first couple of times you visit this therapist it is uncomfortable but after a couple of weeks you look forward to it. The therapists is completely hands on. No machines or gadgets. It is not the same as a massage therapist. A fibro touch therapist is a trained person for fibro. Very different. I have alot of neck pain. I will not allow anyone to put thier arm around me. It hurts that bad. I was very tensed at first. Then I realized she was barely touching me but, she found these knots and new the pressure points for fibro suffererers. I have not tried accupuncture but, a chiropractor is out of the question for me. I am not very trusting. The touch therapist is the key for me!! I hope this helps you.

Closed Thread