It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Tender points

Hi guys. How many of you have 11 of the 18 tender points associated with fibro. I do NOT, so with that does that mean I likley do not have Fibro? My tender points are more like my ankles, shins, wrists, small bones in hand and spine...

Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
(female)

Amystika HB User
Re: Tender points

I have 17 of the 18 tender points PLUS sore areas that do not normally fall into the typical category for FM pain. Like you, my wrists, hands and spine. My doctor has told me that it is common for FM patients to have pain in those areas as well. So it is possible that you do have FM but I would explore other areas just to be safe. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
(female)

sammye HB User

I'm confused on this one. I've never had the tender points tested. I don't think the test would work on me because I can be pressed on. Certain days it might. The pain moves around too much. I'm going to see if I can find someone to do this test. But all these tests what does it matter? You can't get disability for fibro anyway.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

For me I guess it matters in a diagnosis manner. I pressed on the points myself and was fine.

How often does your pain jump around from spot to spot? Also how long do your pains last in one area each time it hits?

Old 09-11-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
(female)

vickyo HB User

My Rhuemy never told me how many of the tender point I have, but if I were to guess it would be 8 or so, but as others have said the pain moves around alot also. I haveheard of drs. looking at the whoel picture, not just the tender point test to diagnose.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:09 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Hi,

Yes you can get disability for fibro. I'll have been on it for two years in Nov.. It's an ugly process and it took 2 turn downs and starting all over again, but I didn't give up. A lot of times I wanted to throw in the towel but didn't. You've got to really be strong to go up against people trying to rook you out of it, it's a battle. There's a little fibro group of girls 5 of us and all but 1 has gotten disability. There's 1 in FL that hasn't yet. There's an agency that does disability cases and they are very good, they used to work for soc. sec. disability rejecting people, but couldn't do it anymore and openned up a place that helps people. It's a place in the mid-west and they have advocates all over the USA and they are on the ball.

AnneBoleyn

Old 09-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
(female)

1stBlush HB User

I thought that I didn't have any of the tender spots because my pain was everywhere and it moved around all the time. But let me tell you what; when my dr. palpitated the trigger spots...ouch! He knew exactly where to press and how. When I try the spots myself, I can only find a few. When he did it, he found 12.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi l go to see the rheumy 2 weeks monday lm guessing he will do the test but what if lm not as bad that day? Ive just had 2 weeks of hell in pain this is my first day fingers crossed that lm not hurting somewhere 95% of the day... l have seen a diagram of the trigger points ior is it tender points? and l hurt in all of them and more! So mysterious this disease... lm hoping after along time l will get a diagnosis and some answers its been a long time and lve had enough of been left in this mess! Good luck all xx

Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Good luck! I go to my dr today and hopefully will have my lyme results too. I think I may have an issue with my thryoid so we are going to discuss that too...maybe that could be the cause of my pain

Old 09-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi good luck to you too K2 x lve had thyroid issues for years and now the docs are listening to me after blaming my thyroid for everything and there now saying maybe what your going through is NOT to do with your thyroid! Halleluyah! At last!!! Hears hoping l finally get to know whats wrong with me and can have something done about it so l can get on! Really things have been so bad lately l thought theres something seriously wrong with me and theyve left it too late.... thats how ill ive felt lately good luck hope you get the nswers you need x

Old 09-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
(female)

MidnightDiva HB User

I have all 18 . from head to toe. Everyday is a nightmare

Old 09-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Midnight can you share some of what you go through please? Does the doc use much pressure when he tests cos there are some places l would rather he didnt incase he triggers it off! if you know what l mean,

Old 09-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
(female)

MidnightDiva HB User

He really doesnt have to put much pressure. I have deep muscle pain in all points. I take Lyrica, tramadol, flexeril, celexa and trazadone. I feel I need something more.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:39 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

If you have tender points you'll know it, it doesn't take much to make them hurt. They barely have to touch them on me anyway. Just barely brushing them hurts. If you notice, some of them are right above the joint, like the knees for instance. It's not a big deal it only takes a couple minutes for the dr. to press on them.

Trigger points are the epi-center of a muscle spasm.

Midnight,
Lyrica caused me to have more muscular pain. Also cholestral medicines can make your muscle hurt too, in case you may be taking that too. I rarely take morphine or vicadin, because I'm not a pill taker by nature and it makes me makes me barf if I'm not lying down, but ask for some pain medication for the really bad days. I at least know it's there if I need it. Some dr.'s are really funny about prescribing opiates. They make a whole bunch of chronic pain people feel better, not crazed people trying to score drugs on the street. They are cheap too. Soma is a skeletal/muscular drug, I take that and it works for me pretty darn well. Flexeril doesn't help me either. Some docs give you the drugs like Ultram, etc. and it doesn't really work for us too well. I read alot of stuff on this. Sounds like you also have myofascial disease, if you can afford it go for a bit of massage......I like the deep tissue massage better than myofascial release. Sometimes it makes me cry when they get into a really bad knot, but I'd rather have the knots worked out and feel better later. I tell the PT to keep going til it's loose. Lots can be loosened up with a tennisball or a cut up pool noodle. I hope that you find something to make you feel some better.

I wish you all a good day.
AnneBoleyn

Old 09-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

well knewit was too good to be true......... im back to square one the muscle pains are really severe today in my back if l dont answer any threads lve taking part in please dont think lm ignoring anyone,, l really shouldnt be on here right now take care all xx

Closed Thread