It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

reachmol HB User
what does it mean when you get headaches from the back of the neck

what does it mean when you get headaches from the back of the neck

Old 10-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
(female)

Rita27 HB User
Re: what does it mean when you get headaches from the back of the neck

I get these headaches. I think mine are from two herniated discs in my neck, but it could also be from the fibro. That's the problem with fibro, you never know if pain is *just the fibro* or if it's something else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

There could be many reasons, seeing your doctor would be the best advice. If your fibro has settled in that area and is flaring that could be causing them. Also if you have some sort of neck or muscle tightness. Do your pains go up to the back of your head? Right now I am dealing with some fibro and neck issues and my headaches start in my shoulders and go up my neck to the back of my head and just grip me there and pound....arghh! There are so many reasons for headaches, seeing a doc is best.

Glojer

Old 10-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

Oh yes it does. I have been in pain for 2 days now with a full surround headache-from my neck up the back of my head-yesterday my face too. Today it has now radiated down from my shoulders to my "wing" on the left side. My whole neck hurts, not just a stiff neck, the sides to my ears-feels like swollen glands but it's not, to the front of my neck on either side of my thyroid. I dread having to turn my head either way. I am at a loss of what to do, I took 600mg gabapentin, advil platnium, t3's nothing appears to be helping. I wonder if Lyrica works better? Anyone know?

Old 10-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB Userkirstee HB User

Another thought is it could be referred pain from shoulder blade pain. For me, that's what happened. The pain would start between my shoulders, then radiate up and over my head causing all kinds of fun there. Your doc should be able to pinpoint what the cause is, however.

Bye!
Kirstee

Old 10-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

ebrena, you said you took t3's, are you talking about thyroid med t3? Please be careful if you are, that can cause a worse headache or other problems. I do sympathize with you on the headache business though, I have suffered with them for years and will do almost anything to get relief. Hope you are doing better.

Glojer

Old 10-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

ebrena HB Userebrena HB User

No I took some Tylenol with codiene (T3's) - they don't help. I do take synthroid for my thyroid though. I have found nothing that is helping so far. Also I keep having pillow wars too, which could be contributing, I have been on a 30 year search for the right pillow-I have a room full of crappy pillows-not cheap but crappy. I have down pillows, cervical neck pillows, fibre filled pillows, neck ring, memory foam pillows-big & small. I hate exercise but I am getting so tired of this above the shoulder pain I have to do something, I don't know if it should be yoga, or stretching or just cutting my head off-just kidding!

I took another round of gabapentin tonight, I don't know if it is helping or not. I feel like hanging from my knees with my head hanging down to stretch everything.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:05 PM   #8
(female)

melps63 HB User

i used to get those all the time , then after i had my rotator cuff operation it went away. also one of my physical therapists said the headaches were because of problems in my neck, i was planning to see a doctor for that too.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
(female)

Tracy-Anne HB User

I have this problem too. I have been getting what feels like a headache right at the base of my neck. It gets so bad that I can hardly move my neck. It was so bad one night that I went to the emergency room, and as soon as they found out I had fibromyalgia they immeadiately blamed it on that. They took x-rays, but of course nothing. My doctor told me to just take ibuoprofen, but doesn't even touch the pain.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

LilliePup HB User

I had these everyday for months a few years ago. My chiropracter sent me to a dr to request an MRI or CAT (dont remember). Nothing showed up.

At another time I went to dr to ask about meningitis because of the accompanying stiff neck. Nothing there.

I continue to have these on & off less frequently.

Last edited by LilliePup; 10-12-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Hi,

I agree with the shoulder and up the neck thing whole heartedly. We with fibro/myofascial diseases live with trigger points and referred pain and when they get so severe over time it's hard to tell what is what anymore. I've read in numerous places that fibro people are at times misdiagnosed and actually have something called, I don't know about the spelling, chiari syndrome. It's when the bottom of the skull is too narrow and presses on nerves and can be fixed.

Also because you are getting headaches you might find these things useful to try. Don't use a shoulder bag purse. Wear a strapless bra. Get a pillow that cradles your neck, the one that I find that is best for me is one that is sort of hollow in the middle, but a regular sized pillow. The other side is that egg-crate stuff. I have one at my folks house in the mid-west and it goes where I go. Try to sleep with one pillow, it'll be hard to get used to at first. Try to not be a belly sleeper.

As for the ER and fibro......don't ya wish you'd have taken a bazooka in with you? If your eyes look like slits, you have on dark glasses inside and you've got an icebag tied around your neck and you are barfing between sobs.......here's their sign. I think all hospitals should have a binder with just letters from your doctor for headaches so you don't get screwed over like we do. My daughter lives in Miss. and they have one at the ER she goes to. That way they have a standing order that they can update and resubmit. She said they look it up they check her out and she gets a shot, my son-in-law leads her to the car, drives her home and she wakes up better.

I've tried any pain med you can imagine even morphine and it didn't touch my headaches. I did nerve blocks, which didn't last long, Ablations which lasted about 9 months to a year for several years and then they didn't work anymore. I now have 2 electrodes in my head wired to a battery in my lower back. It stimulates around the occipital nerve, which is where your headaches come from most likely, and short curcuits the nerve. I leave it on 24-7. This was the last resort and now my headaches are maybe a couple every couple of months instead of everyday. I"MMMMMMMMMMBaack! So there are things out there to try that help. My pain management is the best, he's pioneered in pain management. A short procedure, mostly awake, hurts for a few days and then it's not as much pain medication. The stimulator was the most awful ordeal I've ever had, but it's been 2 years so far of worth it. My quality of life greatly improved. Look around and read as much as you can. You go armed with info to your doctors, it seems to make them take you in a more serious light. Oh, get a pool noodle, the round ones, not the ribbed ones and cut it and lie it under your neck facing any direction and lightly roll back and for or up and down increasing the pressure and it help quite a bit.

There are options out there you just have to investigate into them yourself. It seems to go better at your doc if you can talk about this with some knowledge, you'd be surprised. I've found they don't do good with whiners and criers.

Take care sweetie and best of luck. I know how miserable they are, but that they can get a whole lot better.

DeBeachSiren

Old 10-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #12
(female)

melps63 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melps63 View Post
i used to get those all the time , then after i had my rotator cuff operation it went away. also one of my physical therapists said the headaches were because of problems in my neck, i was planning to see a doctor for that too.
thanks for reply. it's nice to have someone to talk to about my pain and struggle. i think i have complained too much to my family and they do not want to hear it anymore. about 4 years ago at the age of 36 i had headaches that lasted from morning to night. the headaches were all around my forehead to the back of my eye sockets. I had a hard time keeping my eyes open, but i kept on running like the energizer bunny. i now know that those headaches were from stress and anxiety, because i was then having personal problems in my marriage. my doctor prescribed a medication just for headaches that never helped. the headaches went away slowly as my worring started to decline. now these new headaches start the minute i get on my feet from the bed as i wake up. they last for hours, but now i discovered that 3 excedrines make it go away 80%. when i told my physical therapist this he said the headaches originate from my neck or spine. does that make sense? also i forgot to mention that a few months after that i was diagnosed with high blood pressure 200/110(something like that). the high blood pressure medication i think helped my headaches go down alot or the surgury that repaired my shoulder. but i still get tingling in my head and sometimes at night, ONLY AT NIGHT when i lie to go to sleep and close my eyes something really scary happens: my head shakes inside, like a train is passing though then paralizing my body. the first time it happened i wanted to scream for help but couldn't move. so instead i started to recite "our father who art in heaven hollow be thy name..." you get tha picture. after maybe 20 seconds it goes away then it starts all over again, i open my eyes move around eventually i fall asleep and wake up again. Thank God my youngest is only 10 yrs. the primary said if it doesn't go away with the blood pressure meds she is going to order an MRI. i'm afraid to call her up and tell her it's not working. i'm sick of being sick and having no energy all the time, always feeling tired. that's a whole other issue.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

DeBeachSiren HB User

Hi,

I hope you get the headaches under control, ask about the things I wrote when you go to the doctor. High blood pressure can give you a whooshing sound in your head and ears. The thing when you're trying to go to sleep. I do that sometimes and when it happens it does it a few times in a row. I think it's like a panic attack. I hope you do call your doctor and get an MRI done. It's scarie, but not knowing is frightening too. I think the people closest to you hurt you the worse at times. I try to not complain, but if you don't want to know, then don't ask me how I feel. You take care and have a hopefully No Headache day.

DeBeachSiren

Closed Thread